What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 12/09/2017 at 3:46 PM, Stefancos said:

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

(...) It is loud though. It was played at the cinema at reference level and it was simply earsplitting. It's never been the most gentle sound mix, with Spielberg's technique of loads of dialogue, sound effects etc overlapping. I woulnt have mind it if they turned it down a notch. (I'm told in Hollywood or L.A. in general, they do tend to play films very loud)

It remains a very weird movie, where the hero kisses a stranger woman in the mountain, then leaves wife and 3 kids for a trip with unknown aliens.

But I agree, this is a very "noisy" movie. The kids, the overlaping dialogues, the french, the english, the "dialogue" at the end. Sonically, this movie is a nightmare.

It's a pretty sick movie ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6aq3XEjxouPgxIzACQne"

"Shit, I can't stand my own famiily. Who is this kid sitting next to me?"

4669E04000000578-0-image-m-58_1510849640

"I do like this kid. And he wants to play with me!"

66d609811582c65bdc520db656871eeb--the-cl

"Why can't he be my daddy, mommy?"

22 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's a pretty sick movie ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6aq3XEjxouPgxIzACQne"

"Shit, I can't stand my own famiily. Who is this kid sitting next to me?"

4669E04000000578-0-image-m-58_1510849640

"I do like this kid. And he wants to play with me!"

66d609811582c65bdc520db656871eeb--the-cl

"Why can't he be my daddy, mommy?"

Seems perfectly normal to me.

Melinda Dillon was quite the MILF.

The Holiday.

I really liked the first 40 minutes or so, but as the story progressed, I became kind of tired of it and when the children entered, I really became tired of it. I don't like Cameron Diaz and even Kate Winslet became boring.

Hans Zimmer's score was definitely the reason I kept watching this feel-good film. I've heard better romantic scores, but I've most certainly heard worse ones too. This score was so exuberant at times that it made me laugh and its limitless happiness was quite infectious. I also liked how they talked about film music in this movie, though Ennio Morricone's name was pronounced quite badly.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The Holiday.

I really liked the first 40 minutes or so, but as the story progressed, I became kind of tired of it and when the children entered, I really became tired of it. I don't like Cameron Diaz and even Kate Winslet became boring.

Hans Zimmer's score was definitely the reason I kept watching this feel-good film. I've heard better romantic scores, but I've most certainly heard worse ones too. This score was so exuberant at times that it made me laugh and its limitless happiness was quite infectious. I also liked how they talked about film music in this movie, though Ennio Morricone's name was pronounced quite badly.

Jack Black singing the Driving Miss Daisy theme will always be a highlight. 

On 12/8/2017 at 12:12 AM, Koray Savas said:

Did you make it to the death by popcorn scene?

Nope.

A lot of bad films lose me in the first 10-15 minutes because I could only take so much. Troll 2 and Transylmania fit that bill.

A good bad movie engages me throughout. Howling 2 is one such classic. The werewolves attacking the bikers in the first 10-15 minutes is good for unintentional physical comedy. Same for another werewolf attack at the cemetery later on. Anything involving the shaggy ape suit--- I mean, werewolves, are hysterical.

The trailer shows you how crazy this flick is.

A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sims. 

It is still utterly remarkable. 

Spotlight

spotlight-review.png

Not bad but I wasn't blown away by it. I guess the acting was good but the style was not particularly interesting. Listen to the music of Spotlight and you'll know what I mean.

3306898_orig.jpg

Alex 

'All About Eve' sparkles too much in the writer's department to ignore it just because it has no big vistas or artful shadow and light compositions. Which can't be said about 'Spotlight' which is pretty much by-the-numbers as these procedural movies go.

Getting ready for Wednesday, I started the obligatory marathon.

Star Wars (Team Negative One's Silver Screen Edition) Movie - 9/10, Edition - 10/10

Second viewing of this edition, grew up watching the 97 one, saw the 2004 one a couple of times on DVD, lately been watching the Despecialized, Revisited and Semi-Specialized Regraded editions - the latter with Dianoga and The Trash Compactor restored.

What is there to say? This movie defines the word "classic", and this version is the absolute best (to be honest, basically the only) way to properly relive it. I grew up with the (dubbed) 97 version recorded from TV, and it's burned into my mind, so I noticed a million little differences and was amazed how much better almost everything was than in my memory. There's the odd wonky effect or two along with some questionable acting and dialogue choices, but they all mesh seamlessly into this one incredibly charming, fun and... exciting package. Yeah, I didn't think I'd be really moved after seeing it for the 30+th time, but right after the trench run sequence, I noticed my hand was in front of my mouth and I was chewing my nails. The pace, the editing, the effects, the MUSIC... This is still a goddamn masterpiece.

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Having now watched all three of Johnson's movies, I'm not sure why people are so confident in him when it comes to making a great film out of TLJ. He's a competent director, sure, but he doesn't strike me as an oustanding one. Well, we'll see in just a few days, anyway...

I think that the idea of having a director, with some semblance of a voice and personality, at the helm of a SW film is intriguing. And from the trailer, this seems to be paying off visually at least.

26 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The-Brothers-Bloom.jpg

The Brothers Bloom - Rian Johnson (2008)

Johnson's last chance to convince me before The Last Jedi... and he didn't quite succeed. As I thought, it did end up being my favourite movie of his, but that unfortunately doesn't mean it's a great film. The cast is pretty damn good (especially the ever-charming Rachel Weisz and the badass Rinko Kikuchi), the characters are fun enough, there are some nice creative ideas throughout the film, the music was surprisingly pretty good, but the story is a bit lacking and as a whole, the film doesn't feel entirely satisfying.

First, there is Johnson's insistence to make almost every aspect of his films quirky (in a grating "Oh, look! Look! My movie's quirky! Look! It's great, right?" way), which sometimes tends to be a bit annoying (though it was more of a nuisance in Brick). Then, there's the character development that feel a bit off at times (Weisz' character, in particular, felt a bit inconsistent to me). The ending was also underwhelming (though I did appreciate the fact that it wasn't necessarily what one would expect from a film of this genre), and some aspects of the story felt underdeveloped (the Diamond Dog subplot, for example).

Overall, it's definitely better than Johnson's other two films, and there's enough good stuff in it to make it an enjoyable viewing, but its problematic aspects prevent it from being a truly great flick. Having now watched all three of Johnson's movies, I'm not sure why people are so confident in him when it comes to making a great film out of TLJ. He's a competent director, sure, but he doesn't strike me as an oustanding one. Well, we'll see in just a few days, anyway...

6/10

Idiot!

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

But you could also said Abrams has some semblance of a voice and personality. Not necessarily one people like, but still...

Maybe, though I've always thought personality was what Abrahms always lacked. He's a competent director who can lead big productions well enough, but without feeling any need to say anything as an artist of his own, which is what made him perfect for the revitalisation of Star Wars. He would have fit right in with the faceless directors of the Big Studios era of the 50s. And that's probably why Disney loves him so much.

I've only seen Johnson's Looper, which I didn't really like very much. But he seems to have some kind of voice of his own, and if that means adding a fresh voice to the SW universe, I'm down for the ride. I know what I'd get with JJ. I don't necessarily know with Johnson, and that's enough to grab my attention.

But I agree, people are definitely getting swept away in the hype. It's that time of year after all!

I was mostly curious about why Disney gave the "keys to the kingdom", as it were (when Johnson was anounced, he was also set to write Episode IX) to a director without big budget experience and with a filmography that really didn't scream Star Wars. Adding to the fact that I've greatly enjoyed all of his movies, I was quite intrigued with his assignment. I immediatly thought Rian Johnson must have presented Disney with one hell of a pitch

10 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The-Brothers-Bloom.jpg

The Brothers Bloom - Rian Johnson (2008)

First, there is Johnson's insistence to make almost every aspect of his films quirky (in a grating "Oh, look! Look! My movie's quirky! Look! It's great, right?" way), which sometimes tends to be a bit annoying (though it was more of a nuisance in Brick).

6/10

Top 10 worst movies ever! 

9 hours ago, publicist said:

MPW-37528

Christ (literally), great cinematography

It is. This is creative filmmaking of the highest order and one of the most intense film/Blu-ray/mental experiences I had in the last 10 years.

Now rewatch The Last Temptation Of Christ

And let's hope Paul Verhoeven gets a chance to make his Jesus movie!

Your ears are always raped when you're not hearing film music, pubs. You even dislike movies that use songs instead of a film composer. I remember it well!