What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

@JoeinAR surely!

As a devout film fan more so than film score fan and having lived longer than any long time member it is probably a fair assumption.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

...and one wampa received life-threatening injuries.

I saw one film (unfortunately I can't remember which) that said:

no animals were harmed during the making of this motion picture, although many were eaten

:lol:

ID4 ends with "No animal or alien were harmed during the making of this film".

Children of Men. Haven't seen this one in some time, and it's remarkable how what was once a fictional dystopia is inching closer and closer to reality in our 2018. What's missing is just infertility. 

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Marinate on it for a bit and revisit it sometime in the near future. Opens up tremendously as you’re more able to connect the visual parallels. 

I am sure you're right about that. It is still very much in my mind.

The Wrath of Khan: Director's Cut on blu-ray

never really twigged until now how awkward the David/Kirk hug is at the end or Meyer's attention to detail on the cargo boxes in the Genesis Cave. 

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Grosse Pointe Blank - delighted to find 20 years on that this funny, pacy and well-acted action-comedy-thriller was still as much fun as I remembered.

Love this film. One of my favorite twofers is this alongside High Fidelity. Cusack in his prime. 

citizen kane.jpg

Citizen Kane (1941)

A profound and sophisticated masterpiece of filmmaking. Sure, there are a few aspects of the film that feel somewhat dated today, but overall, it holds up very well; the acting is great, the dialogue is brilliant, the cinematography is still revolutionary and cleverly done, and the characterization of the title role is still as deep and meaningful as ever.

***** out of *****

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Overrated and dull. One of those films you are pressures into seeing because it's a "masterpiece" but whatever value is once might have held is long gone.

Good score though.

I first watched it 15 years ago expecting to be bored by it, but it ended up hooking me in from start to finish.

These days Vertigo is named the greatest film of all time.The reign of Citizen Kane is over. So the next time you find yourself at an art exhibition and you feel like conversing with the sniffy 'elite', say Vertigo, not Citizen Kane (whatever you do, never mention Star Wars or Star Trek).

image.jpg

It's only because people who are too much into film and film theory place too much emphasis on personal issues of the filmmaker. If you do not share Hitchcock's obsessions, a lot of his movies are just stylish thrillers. Or fucking boring, like 'The Birds' (at least it's first half).

18 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's only because people who are too much into film and film theory place too much emphasis on personal issues of the filmmaker. If you do not share Hitchcock's obsessions, a lot of his movies are just stylish thrillers. Or fucking boring, like 'The Birds' (at least it's first half).

I share Hitchcock's weakness for blondes. I love how he lets the camera leer at these beautiful women.

The Birds is only boring if you don't care about the characters. It's what Quentin Tarantino would refer to as a hangout movie. Not much is going on. Scenes of people smoking and talking, or awkwardly riding around on a boat. We're just getting to know the characters so that when the bird attacks occur, we're in it with them.

Yes, it's a mundane soap for a while. Normal day to day banality like most of us live before the phenomenon gets under way, that's how most people would find themselves caught up in such an incident. It's the whole point. 

Fitzcarraldo (1982)

Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)

Both similar films with similar themes. Personally I preferred Fitzcarraldo (5*) to Aguirre (4*), which just felt slightly more compelling to me, although I enjoyed both very much. Aguirre is more of a psychological portrayal of one man's madness as it slowly begins to manifest itself in his troop, whilst Fitzcarraldo has the more traditional movie structure though, despite being an hour longer, never feels redundant. The only bit I wasn't fond of was when Fitzcarraldo throws the cat...and the slightly ugly "major key" soundtrack which cropped up here and there.

Also Herzog was bat**** crazy for filming ON the ship whilst it was being battered by the rapids! (Not to forget the whole "pulling a ship over the mountain" thing of course)

Overall very much looking forward to watching some more Herzog/Kinski films.

21 hours ago, Richard said:

Fuck Russell Crowe. Fuck Kevin Costner. Fuck the shit in the early 80s on UK television (the one with the music by Clannad). This is the dog's bollocks. Easily the best version.

OI, I like Prince Of Thieves and Robin Of Sherwood! Have admittedly never seen the Flynn one. 

The 'FUCK OFF' version of Robin Hood should be that Beeb early Saturday evening one from about 10 years or so ago, in which Robin looked like he'd just stepped out of a boy-band and refused to kill the Sheriff's men due to some sort of Crusades-triggered version of PTSD *rolls eyes*.     

that TV series really was the absolute limit but then I grew up with "Maid Marian" as a kids show back in the 90s. Forget the full length title. The Crowe film is just slow. There's meant to be a newer film coming out soon. 

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The 'FUCK OFF' version of Robin Hood should be that Beeb early Saturday evening one from about 10 years or so ago, in which Robin looked like he'd just stepped out of a boy-band and refused to kill the Sheriff's men due to some sort of Crusades-triggered version of PTSD *rolls eyes

Rubbish score too!

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

OI, I like Prince Of Thieves and Robin Of Sherwood! Have admittedly never seen the Flynn one. 

The 'FUCK OFF' version of Robin Hood should be that Beeb early Saturday evening one from about 10 years or so ago, in which Robin looked like he'd just stepped out of a boy-band and refused to kill the Sheriff's men due to some sort of Crusades-triggered version of PTSD *rolls eyes*.     

Ok, Sweep, each to their own :lol:

For me, coming as it did so soon after EXCALIBUR (which btw, I love) ROS tried to be all mystical, and ethereal. To me, Robin Hood is all boys' own, rip-roaring adventure, and not smokey, backlit Arthurian legend lite.

Do you agree that the Crowe version can fuck off?

I liked the Russell Crowe Robin Hood. Easily the most untrendy version ever. 

2 hours ago, Strangways said:

that TV series really was the absolute limit but then I grew up with "Maid Marian" as a kids show back in the 90s. 

It's pancake day, it's pancake day, it's p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-pancake day. 

Star Wars (Episode IV)

tried Special Edition one last time, the Jabba scene is the limit (Han gets out of focus as he climbs over the tail) and that's about it. But, 'burning homestead' is perhaps one of the best shots in the saga accompanied by one of the best pieces of music. Indeed, no matter how often I watch it, that music that ramps as Luke gets closer to the end of the trench with Vader and the TIE's bearing down on him, still has an element of tension.