What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Dark Passage

Really weird one where it's all in the first person for a significant chunk of the film, until Bogey's face is slowly unveiled. Borderline experimental by 40s WB standards. Despite its gimmicks, I didn't care for it that much. Lauren Bacall was lovely though.

I watched the Star Wars Prequels yesterday. Sith always makes me think of how easily swayed I was by it all at Leicester Square. Williams' music sealed the deal in that regard, the Jedi Purge, Battle of the Heroes 

but now, onto the Producers (1967)

030818_theproducers04.jpg

"That's our Hitler!"

Father of the Bride

I know this is meant to be a well-loved classic, but I found it a rather droll and tedious experience. Spencer Tracy's dry performance is somewhat humourous, but, I dunno, it was alright I guess. Best bit was the nightmare sequence, very Lynch-like. If only more of the movie was like that!

thebreakingpointposter.jpg

A really good post-war (1950) noir by Michael Curtiz that somewhat unusually puts a family man front and center - a war veteran struggles to make ends meet with his fishing boat and gets involved in dangerous human cargo - and it is surprisingly candid/modern about marriage life. Also of note: Juano Hernandez plays the black mate of John Garfield and it's one of the first of such portrayals in mainstream Hollywood where both men are more or less equal (forgetting about who's top-billed). The movie builds on that to create a heartbreaking silent final image. Sadly it was buried by WB after leading man John Garfield getting entangled in the the red scare at the same time (he died only two years later).

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

spider_man_homecoming-336093112-large.jp

I didn't switch it off so Homecoming is better than the previous movie. The movie mainly wants to crack jokes and some of them do work, but still, I prefer Deadpool. 5,5/10

For quality purposes, I only watch films my advanced algorithm recommends me. I don't buy into critic BS.

The_Thirteenth_Floor_poster.jpg

It just threw at me The Thirteenth Floor (1999). A solid movie, 7.5/10. Forget well-roundedness. A good film forgets that and instead makes a unique artistic statement. Even my favorite movies clearly lack in some departments.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

What I mean is...she wasn't drop dead gorgeous, but she was still kinda sexy.

Yeah, I always thought she was Lady from Lady and the Tramp, in human form.

The Apartment

I'd spell this movie out for you, but I can't spell. Edgy subject matter puts it ahead of its time. Wilder shares Sirk's sensibilities at unveiling the darker side of Americana, like Fred McMurray's character. McMurray was a walking 50s cliche - stable dad with idyllic nuclear family (see The Shaggy Dog), but Wilder subverts that here, which was an element here I liked. You should watch it.

The original actor died of a heart attack a few days before filming started. Wilder had done 'Double Indemnity' with MacMurray and begged him to take over the role - MacMurray was dubious but Wilder promised him to make him a sympathetic guy. Which of course was a bald-faced lie.

Split - Intense, interesting at points character study with a great performance by McAvoy. Definitely M. Night's best in years. The dialogue's silly as to be expected, but I enjoyed it for the most part. I don't recommend watching it with your mother though, especially one who can't handle violence. That was a mistake. Lol. - 7.5 / 10

The French Connection

This Popeye Doyle dude was so tough, he was awesome! He seemed like a heart attack waiting to happen though. Great hat too. Love that gritty 70s look. Felt like a more contemporary version of a 30s Bogey flick.

Kramer vs. Kramer

Poor Dusty. Movies like this are a warning to all men out there, because a Joanna Kramer will likely bleed you dry. Frightening circumstances for a bloke, really. Oh and Jane Alexander reminded me a lot of Diane Keaton.

That was the thing about Kramer vs Kramer. We only saw the perspective of daddy Hoffman. It almost made mother Streep an evil person. It was a pro-dad movie, because fathers always lost a custody case. The movie stood up for the dads in the world.

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Kramer vs. Kramer

Poor Dusty. Movies like this are a warning to all men out there, because a Joanna Kramer will likely bleed you dry. Frightening circumstances for a bloke, really. Oh and Jane Alexander reminded me a lot of Diane Keaton.

Oh will you fuck off with your perpetual state of anti female shtick, it's gotten ridiculously monotonous at this point and you just sound like a sad and frustrated little prick. 

37 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Oh will you fuck off with your perpetual state of anti female shtick, it's gotten ridiculously monotonous at this point and you just sound like a sad and frustrated little prick. 

It has, hasnt it? It has nothing to do with anything and I have no idea why our moderating team is even allowing it.

I suppose they don't give a fuck?

Just now, Richard said:

I've always thought that Streep plays the same character in KRAMER VS KRAMER, as she does, in MANHATTAN.

Ps, JoBeth Williams, in her knickers...:thumbup:

I liked the bits when Streep is creeping from across the street like some mad stalker.

I forgot to mention that about the mum from Poltergeist - I was like "Holy moly!" when she was in the bolliky!

Get Out (Rewatch) - 9 / 10

The Great Wall - Visually it's mostly gorgeous (as to be expected), there's a decent Chinese mythology around it, and the last act is very enjoyable, but it's also quite talky at points much to its determent. Damon seems a bit out of place at points too, but he's not bad. A mixed bag. - 6 / 10

Did a twofer of Unbreakable and Split. Haven’t seen the former in about 15 years, never seen the latter until now.

I really like how understated Unbreakable is in its execution; and Shyamalan’s use of reflections and pans adds a nice touch to the visual elements. Forgot how terrible the ending moments are though. Not the twist itself, but the “where are they now” text and freeze frames, but I guess it was trying to play into the comic book role. 

I thought Split was really good. McAvoy gives a terrific performance, and the attention to detail for all his characters is great. It was a sharp thriller that kept me engrossed throughout. I just wish that everyone on the internet weren’t so trigger happy to spoil the ending when it was in theaters. It would have been a truly special moment because only film score fans would have picked up on it first. I feel cheated of that, but it is what it is.

Looking forward to Glass; will need to watch The Visit sometime.