What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

v1.bTsxMjQ3NTYzNztqOzE3NjA0OzEyMDA7NTExO

Ingrid Goes West

I kinda loved it. Aubrey Plaza is perfect as a girl who becomes obsessed with a hipster woman in L.A. on Instagram and actually moves there and becomes her friend. It's not clear at first if the audience is supposed to think she's a kook or if we should be on her side. It's difficult to sympathize with any other character besides Ingrid and her landlord, who is obsessed with Batman. Everyone else seems crazy in the end. It also had an ending I never saw coming. I highly recommend it. Aubrey Plaza and her boyfriend are very endearing.

37 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

v1.bTsxMjQ3NTYzNztqOzE3NjA0OzEyMDA7NTExO

Ingrid Goes West

I kinda loved it. Aubrey Plaza is perfect as a girl who becomes obsessed with a hipster woman in L.A. on Instagram and actually moves there and becomes her friend. It's not clear at first if the audience is supposed to think she's a kook or if we should be on her side. It's difficult to sympathize with any other character besides Ingrid and her landlord, who is obsessed with Batman. Everyone else seems crazy in the end. It also had an ending I never saw coming. I highly recommend it. Aubrey Plaza and her boyfriend are very endearing.

Are they now returning to Drew Struzan style art? Was it that Stranger Things that made everyone else do it?

Wonderstuck - Really liked this. Surprisingly quite nice (I guess I shouldn't be surprised coming from the author of Hugo), and the scenes where it basically acted like a silent movie were pretty genius. Moore is also quite good in a role with limited dialogue. - 8 / 10

Crash

Decent performances betrayed by a far-fetched script that's demanding too much to be taken seriously. I've seen a lot of Best Picture winners and this is by far the most infuriating to watch. Annoying score too.

blob.png

In Bruges

Funny, witty and occasionally touching. You never quite know where's its going, but it keeps you glued to the screen. This McDonagh is a talented bloke. Farrell is really great here, and so is Burwell's score. 

13 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Crash

Decent performances betrayed by a far-fetched script that's demanding too much to be taken seriously. I've seen a lot of Best Picture winners and this is by far the most infuriating to watch. Annoying score too.

One of my favorite awful movies! When I first saw it, I thought it was a satire for the first half hour or so. It didn't leave me with a good impression of Mark Isham, either. Nice to have an excuse to hear Keith David talk, though.

2 hours ago, KK said:

blob.png

In Bruges

Funny, witty, dark and occasionally touching. You never quite know where's its going, but it keeps you glued to the screen. This McDonagh is a talented bloke. Farrell is really great here, and so is Burwell's score. 

Fuckin' Bruges!

Funny, last night a friend told me that most of what you see in 'Brugge' is fake, rebuild in the style of what once stood there. I looked at him and said: Are you one of those 'flat Earth' people?!

8 hours ago, KK said:

blob.png

In Bruges

Funny, witty, dark and occasionally touching. You never quite know where's its going, but it keeps you glued to the screen. This McDonagh is a talented bloke. Farrell is really great here, and so is Burwell's score. 

Good film! All the Harry Potter villains do a good job in this one.

Karol

It's a fairytale town, isn't it? How's a fairytale town not somebody's fucking thing? How can fucking swans not be fucking somebody's fucking thing eh??

Cool World

This is an even bigger train wreck than I last thought. The animation is rough, none of the toon antics are funny (one scene involves one toon character pissing on a police car during a pursuit), and the script just goes off the rails near the end. Kim Basinger is the only one who comes off unscathed as the voice and live-action Holli Would, while Gabriel Byrne and Brad Pitt are woefully underused and/or miscast. None of the animated characters are funny either, they're either annoying or sleazy.

This is how NOT to do a live-action/animated film. All copies of this movie should be gathered and burned.

15 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Cool World

This is an even bigger train wreck than I last thought. The animation is rough, none of the toon antics are funny (one scene involves one toon character pissing on a police car during a pursuit), and the script just goes off the rails near the end. Kim Basinger is the only one who comes off unscathed as the voice and live-action Holli Would, while Gabriel Byrne and Brad Pitt are woefully underused and/or miscast. None of the animated characters are funny either, they're either annoying or sleazy.

This is how NOT to do a live-action/animated film. All copies of this movie should be gathered and burned.

I heard when Bakshi walked on set on the first day of production, he was given a completely different script that was written behind his back. So a lot of what was done and how it was done in postproduction is just a giant middle finger to the studio.

The Departed

Holy shit! No wonder they call it that name, it's a friggin' bloodbath, this movie. I loved it, despite some of its conveniences in such a plotty movie. Points to Matt Damon's character for owning a McIntosh hi-fi system.

48 minutes ago, KK said:

It's a fairytale town, isn't it? How's a fairytale town not somebody's fucking thing? How can fucking swans not be fucking somebody's fucking thing eh??

Isn't that what the Vietnamese used to say? You Yankee fuckin' cunt...

13 hours ago, KK said:

Funny, witty and occasionally touching. You never quite know where's its going, but it keeps you glued to the screen. This McDonagh is a talented bloke. Farrell is really great here, and so is Burwell's score. 

Brendan Gleeson, too. My favourite of his roles that I've seen.

On 21/02/2018 at 3:44 PM, Denise Bryson said:

Crash

Best thing about it is the nudity by that gorgeous Latina actress who was in that Michael J Fox sitcom Spin City.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

I heard when Bakshi walked on set on the first day of production, he was given a completely different script that was written behind his back. So a lot of what was done and how it was done in postproduction is just a giant middle finger to the studio.

Then Paramount and Bakshi deserve equal blame.

I would love to see a warts-and-all documentary on this film though. A film that fails as spectacularly as Cool World deserves to be a crash course in how NOT to do a film.