What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

9 hours ago, Holko said:

He mostly didn't list third movies which are the best, but ones which are not the worst of their respective franchises.

I see. But I'm talking about the worst of the first three movies, not about the endless milking of certain series after that.

Here are some more examples: 

The Cloverfield Paradox

The Bourne Ultimatum

The Dark Knight Rises 

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (& Part 2)

Spider-Man Homecoming

A lot less angsty than previous incarnations, which was refreshing for a cinematic incarnation of the character. Fun yarn, but runs way too long, and again, it's yet another piece of the MCU puzzle rather than its own thing. This movie really wants to continually remind you that it's a Sony/Columbia film, I was like "Yeah, I get it! You wanna hitch a ride on the Marvel gravy train. Good on ya."

MV5BZjEwNjcyZWEtN2VhOC00YmY3LWE0OWUtOTU5

The film that inspired Luke Skywalker's theme - or so legend has it - and its a romp. But i struggled manfully through 2 hours of more or less glorious Hollywood kitsch full of blissful small town camp. Ronald Reagan gets his legs amputated by a mad doctor!

The Duel

jfxduolmcvmqwi6nacnm.jpg

Thor & Woody finally together! Not a great Western but it has a fluid pace and you keep watching because you know these two will fight it out in the end.

6/10

10 hours ago, publicist said:

MV5BZjEwNjcyZWEtN2VhOC00YmY3LWE0OWUtOTU5

The film that inspired Luke Skywalker's theme - or so legend has it - and its a romp. But i struggled manfully through 2 hours of more or less glorious Hollywood kitsch full of blissful small town camp. Ronald Reagan gets his legs amputated by a mad doctor!

Pub, if you want small town camp, try the films of Douglas Sirk.

Heck, even Mark Robson is worth investigating.

Oh, i find Sirk a much more sophisticated kind of fellow. Imitation of Life, ie, features insightful commentary on american race relations and the role of women hidden between the lines that is better than many overt dramas of the last 20 years.

ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS is my personal favourite.

It's interesting to see Rock Hudson getting jiggy with it, with Jane Wyman, when it was well known in Hollywood, that he was on the other bus.

I guess that's called "irony" :lol:

His films always looked sumptuous.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS is my personal favourite.

It's interesting to see Rock Hudson getting jiggy with it, with Jane Wyman, when it was well known in Hollywood, that he was on the other bus.

I guess that's called "irony" :lol:

His films always looked sumptuous.

Ah, mine too!!! :beerchug:

What wonderful colors..

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The Duel

Thor & Woody finally together!

Are you joking?  Liam Hemsworth does not play Thor.  His brother does.

Colossal

I think I remember imagining this film's scenario when I was a kid, since I was so transfixed by monster movies, I wanted to be one! Anyhoo, this batshit insane movie is refreshing in today's cinematic doldrums. The feminithm stuff gave me the shits, but it wasn't too sledgehammerish. As the ending unfolded, I was anticipating a much darker resolution than what actually happened, which was disappointingly conventional. I thought she went to Seoul to die, which would weigh the "robot" dude with guilt and he'd have no reason to return to the park. But no.

Clerks - a 'cult classic' late-night screening at our local arthouse cinema, so nice to see this on the big screen with a couple of ales. Kevin Smith's no-budget directorial debut is still a very funny film.  

22 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Colossal

I think I remember imagining this film's scenario when I was a kid, since I was so transfixed by monster movies, I wanted to be one! Anyhoo, this batshit insane movie is refreshing in today's cinematic doldrums. The feminithm stuff gave me the shits, but it wasn't too sledgehammerish. As the ending unfolded, I was anticipating a much darker resolution than what actually happened, which was disappointingly conventional. I thought she went to Seoul to die, which would weigh the "robot" dude with guilt and he'd have no reason to return to the park. But no.

Nothing about the film felt conventional, but I found the shifts in tone to be too great for my liking. 

Taming The Horse - Chinese documentary about essentially a clearly messed-up individual. Kinda interesting, but the person who the documentary follows clearly has some issues. Mixed bag. - 6 / 10

You're still here? I was making a bet that you were the latest to leave.

Anyhoo, you're absolutely right. All citizens should have access to sophisticated armaments in their homes to fight off dangerous intruders.

Friend Request

Not since Eve Harrington wormed her way into my life have I found a stalker so frightening. Well really, this was a seriously hokey movie but very entertaining. Puts a modern tech/supernatural twist on the stalker trope by preying on our anxieties about social media. It's really similar to another flick called Unfriended. The main girl looked a lot like Vera Farmiga.

42 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star_Wars_The_Last_Jedi.jpg

First Disney Star Wars movie that kind of kept me engaged until the very end.

When did this become an "older" film? :P