What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Alex I agree with you. 1 thread for what was the last film you watch would be fine

57 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Superman the movie is perfect entertainment it has a great villain ridiculously funny henchman and a beautiful First Act

To the point, Luthor just isn’t an intimidating villain. There’s an almost Lonney Tunes aspect to his scheme to hijack the nuclear missiles. Come on...

As for the first act, part of the issue is that it’s used to set-up things that happen in Superman 2, but since the two don’t form one unified story, it comes off as a pacing issue.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

To the point, Luthor just isn’t an intimidating villain. There’s an almost Lonney Tunes aspect to his scheme to hijack the nuclear missiles. Come on...

As for the first act, part of the issue is that it’s used to set-up things that happen in Superman 2, but since the two don’t form one unified story, it comes off as a pacing issue.

Please do not comment about Star Wars or Superman again it just makes you look incredibly stupid

The Purge.

The premise was quite interesting, it was only executed rather badly. The characters are too shallow and do strange things, the father is weird from the start and it's a shame that half of the film was wasted by long silences and sudden, deafening blasts. So cheap. It could have been so much more.

It was a very inexpensive film that made over 21 times its budget. It was fine for what it was. 

Innerspace (1987)

Got to see a theatre screening of this one! 

Joe Dante was my first favorite director, in that it was the first time I made it my mission to seek out every film by a director. I pretty much love every movie of his until Small Soldiers.

"You like my hair? I had it done Clint Eastwood style. You see Outlaw Josey Wales? Hee-hee, what a flick!"

Genius! 31 ****ing years later, I still laugh at that.

According to the commentary, Mike Finnell asked several people on the set if they thought it was funny.

The Last House on the Left (2009)

That was different, as far as home invasion movies go. Unlike other films of this genre I've seen, the family puts up a formidable retaliation against the group of creeps. Not bad.

12 hours ago, Richard said:

INNERSPACE is a fantastic little film, and it still has - probably - the weirdest, funniest line that I've ever heard in any film.

It's, so far, the only film I've ever seen where I don't hate the love triangle. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Funny Games is the only home invasion film you need!

I didn't mind that one, but I didn't understand how the boss home invader had the power to make everything reverse and fast forward. Was he a time traveller? That was so random.

I know the Goldsmith score isn't considered a top shelf work, but hot dang it enhances the film quite sweetly (as always for the Dante movies). I love the primordial Total Recall action music.

Scream 1, 2, 3 and 4

I was a total Scream virgin before seeing them over the last few days. Funny, thrilling and cleverly self-aware, but it does get a bit stupid how there's always one more nut with an axe to grind for poor Sidney. What the hell did this girl do that gets her on the wrong side of yet another psychopath every few years? She should have won the lotto by now. There probably won't be a Scream 5, but I'd like to see a middle-aged Sidney finally bite the dust... and resurrect miraculously. She might very well be the villain in all of these movies!

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I know the Goldsmith score isn't considered a top shelf work, but hot dang it enhances the film quite sweetly (as always for the Dante movies). I love the primordial Total Recall action music.

It's one of my top-ten JG scores.

8 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I didn't mind that one, but I didn't understand how the boss home invader had the power to make everything reverse and fast forward. Was he a time traveller? That was so random.

It’s a commentary on our obsession with violence, Drax. 

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

This after watching The Hobbit trilogy, so it was nice. However, I have the extended ultimate edition of TLOTR, so it took three hours and a half I think for one movie!

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

However, I have the extended ultimate edition of TLOTR, so it took three hours and a half I think for one movie!

Yeah, the film proper is about that length.

You didn't sit through the fan credits?

And there is no extended edition. There's the actual movie, and there's an abridged version meant for the cinema.;)

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Yeah, the film proper is about that length.

You didn't sit through the fan credits?

And there is no extended edition. There's the actual movie, and there's an abridged version meant for the cinema.;)

Thanks. I don't know the correct name for it, but it has tonnes of extra content. So I'm not sure what it is, but it's long. Not sure what the fan credits are.

Friday the 13th

For a movie that started a franchise with a devoted fanbase, the first one is tedious and boring. It's obvious Sean Cunningham and writer Victor Miller took cues from the superior Halloween, and never put any effort into making it fresh or scary. (Just gory.) The cast, led by Adrienne King, are fairly attractive but you can't tell them apart once Pamela Voorhees starts killing them one by one. King herself is no Jamie Lee Curtis, not by a long shot.

It musters a bit of atmosphere, but it's not scary. For one, the Pamela vs. Alice showdown is hysterically funny, and the best scare is ripped straight from Carrie. It's just puzzling how a film like this spawned nine films. Even the 2009 remake has more energy and tension than this limp '80s relic.

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm not sure what it is, but it's long. Not sure what the fan credits are.

Its just as long as it needed to be.

And the fan credits list members of the official Tolkien fan club (look for John Howe) which lengthens the credits by about twenty minutes. There’s an excellent suite of various pieces of the score playing over those.

Credits included, Fellowship is just shy of four hours.

I don't see the need either, but if weren't for it we probably never will have heard the NZ take on the Breaking of the Fellowship.

The expanded end-credits suite really  works like a round-up of the main themes of the film you just watched.