What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Its just as long as it needed to be.

And the fan credits list members of the official Tolkien fan club (look for John Howe) which lengthens the credits by about twenty minutes. There’s an excellent suite of various pieces of the score playing over those.

Credits included, Fellowship is just shy of four hours.

FOUR HOURS?! :o

Morning Glory

Complete coincidence that I watch this a week after I saw Broadcast News. This one is just about as good, and funny as hell! I bet Harrison Ford's grouchy and intimidating persona portrayed here is about close to what he's like in real life - no acting needed!

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Its just as long as it needed to be.

And the fan credits list members of the official Tolkien fan club (look for John Howe) which lengthens the credits by about twenty minutes. There’s an excellent suite of various pieces of the score playing over those.

Credits included, Fellowship is just shy of four hours.

The case says special extended edition and they are in very nice boxes. 

Image result for lord of the rings special extended edition

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The case says special extended edition and they are in very nice boxes. 

Image result for lord of the rings special extended edition

What the hell is that picture? Who would put it in Towers-Fellowship-King order? That's how it pictures them. And the have a very nice additional slipcase they should be in. Also, only the colours match with the CRs, not the movies they're attached to, the CR colours are shifted one movie backward than the EEs.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

What the hell is that picture? Who would put it in Towers-Fellowship-King order? That's how it pictures them. And the have a very nice additional slipcase they should be in. Also, only the colours match with the CRs, not the movies they're attached to, the CR colours are shifted one movie backward than the EEs.

Mate, that is not mine I just used it for Chen G. to see what I was talking about. Those are the ones I have. Yeah, something's wrong with the colours but its the same idea.

Stab

Takes a lot of liberties from the Gale Weathers book about the Woodsboro murders, but even that tabloidy thing was conjecture. Heather Graham's butt was the highlight, she's come a long way from Twin Peaks. But Tori Spelling was awful as usual.

4 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Beauty and The Beast (1946) - Quite excellent, especially on the big-screen, really helped by the black and white atmosphere as well.- 9 / 10

I take it that you mean LA BELLE ET LE BÊTE?

Blows fucking Disney off the screen.

Little Shop of Horrors (1986 remake - Director's cut with the workprint's The Meek Shall Inherit restored)

Love this, but the perfect version is still waiting to be properly restored and assembled. The finale in the Director's goes on at least twice as long as it should, and not that fitting as the only restored scene from the workprint.

The puppetry and especially the lipsync is incredible.

Lakeview Terrace

This wasn't bad. Samuel L. Jackson plays the nightmare neighbour from hell who's also a cop and he's really, really, like totally, so racist man. I like these psychological thrillers where there's like this guy and he's like messing with the main guy's head. So wicked.

Suspiria

Why are movies like this praised so much, yet they're so fucking boring and awful? I know good horror movies exist, but this isn't one of them, not even for kitsch value. Has one or two creative kills though. The main girl looks like Frances O'Connor.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Suspiria

Why are movies like this praised so much, yet they're so fucking boring and awful? I know good horror movies exist, but this isn't one of them, not even for kitsch value. Has one or two creative kills though. The main girl looks like Frances O'Connor.

What are you yappin' on about, Jerry? This is great stuff!

Did you watch it in full 5.1? 

The main girl might look like Frances O' Connor, but she is, in fact, Jessica Harper.

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

What are you yappin' on about, Jerry? This is great stuff!

Did you watch it in full 5.1? 

The main girl might look like Frances O' Connor, but she is, in fact, Jessica Harper.

Yes, I know.

Anyway, the movie looks nice, but really, it stinks. It's the sort of movie people feel pressured into pretending they like, but really, they don't.

31 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's true that the Europeans have a way of doing horror, that is entirely their own, but this transcends all that. Along with TENEBRAE, it's a truly great 70s genre movie.

I always meant to make a thread here entitled "Atmospherically unnerving movies with a prevailing air of gloom and dread which get under your skin", but it was too much of a mouthful. Suspiria was going to be the film I'd cite to demonstrate it.

These sorts of movies are few in number, and well worth talking about.

Scary Movie 1 & 2

Now dis iz more like it, bitches! The first one is pretty much Scream beat-for-beat, with nothing but fart, tit and pot jokes thrown in... and I loved it! The second I think does its own haunted house thing and is totally kray. So gross and crass, it appeals to the repressed teenager in us all. Still got more to go...

The Assasination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford - First time watching this all the way through. It's a bit long, but overall pretty compelling and quite good. Casey Affleck is great, but I especially found Pitt's understated performance to be of note. Also Deakins cinematography is as usual, terrific. - 8 / 10

53 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

What did you think of Isle of Dogs?

A very pleasurable watch.  Visually astounding of course, Anderson venturing into more sci fi (ish) aesthetics was predictably wonderful.  But on the whole I found it was not on the same level of perfection as his previous few movies. 

41 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I watched His Girl Friday a few months ago, but pub reckons I'm a poof for doing so. I still don't get that...

That movie is fucking insane and I love it.  When the condemned man’s girlfriend just randomly straight up jumps out the window I nearly fell out of my chair.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

That movie is fucking insane and I love it.  When the condemned man’s girlfriend just randomly straight up jumps out the window I nearly fell out of my chair.

Helen Mack, yeah, loved her in Son of Kong.

Creep

creep-1.20170225022013.jpg

The concept is not bad. However, in the end, it's not all that creepy or hilarious. But you can definitely watch it (it's on Nefflix).

Alexcremers: 6/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

Creep.jpg

The creep ...