What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

11 hours ago, Fal said:

Willie
Plane Crash SFX
Goofy Portrayal of Indian Culture
Goofy Humour (The Hammer scene etc.)

Short Round 

'Plain ridiculous' instead of 'heroic irony'

The constant screaming

Instead of experiencing what is going on, it's like watching people sitting in a cart doing a Haunted House ride

The movie never rests because Spielberg is overly scared to bore the Diet Cokes of the world

Chocolat

What are the odds that I watch two movies in a row that make a big deal about fancy shop window displays? It's really an old story about a misfit who defies the rigid, conformist, traditionalist establishment, and ends up making a difference, only this time the delicious aroma of cocoa is its gimmick. Really nice movie. Worth it just to see Juliette Binoche's thick raven mane - that hair could lift a car!

12 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Chocolat

What are the odds that I watch two movies in a row that make a big deal about fancy shop window displays? It's really an old story about a misfit who defies the rigid, conformist, traditionalist establishment, and ends up making a difference, only this time the delicious aroma of cocoa is its gimmick. Really nice movie. Worth it just to see Juliette Binoche's thick raven mane - that hair could lift a car!

I only associate that movie with being absolute Peak Weinstein.  He upset Saving Private Ryan with Shakespeare in Love at the Oscars the year before, and Chocolat is the absolute peak of "I am Harvey Weinstein and I will generate Best Picture nominations out of my farts."  Well, this and Cider House Rules.

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

Oh yeah it's got that Miramax Oscar bait feel about it. But it was a pleasant watch.

Yeah pleasant enough.  I sometimes forget just how much Judi Dench's movie career is intertwined with Weinstein.

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Short Round 

The constant screaming

Instead of experiencing what is going on, it's like watching people sitting in a cart doing a Haunted House ride

The movie never rests because Spielberg is overly scared to bore the Diet Cokes of the world

With the exception of Short Round (the film's only remotely likeable character) I agree. 

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Chocolat

I like Roger Pratt's pastel cinematography, on CHOCOLAT. It's a million miles away from his work on GOF.

Vantage Point.

This film offered yet more proof that I shouldn't trust Rotten Tomatoes. I liked it, only Forest Whitaker wasn't always convincing and the line 'I won't ask you again, where's my brother?' is rather stupid.

The score was okay too.

Ohhh, that was not clear to me for some reason.

But also it's weird to characterize Rotten Tomatoes as "they".  They just aggregate all the critics.  It's just random people, not a collective making decisions.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I guess I just have terrible taste.

Maybe... IMDb says if you like Vantage Point you also will like Eagle Eye.

2f7006b38327e83c5ece516ac34a280c.jpg

Draw your own conclusions!

A Dog Year

An oddly sweet film about a writer with a bad back and his difficult relationship with a badly behaved dog he adopts. Very realistic and relatable.

Overboard

Snooty Goldie Hawn loses her memory and falls for manly man Kurt. Reminds me of Mr Mom for some reason. Quite funny!

8 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Vantage Point wasn't that bad. Just a bit forgettable.

It's one of the 'high concept' thrillers where everything rests on its fancy premise. Unfortunately that loses the novelty factor after the first 20 minutes.

Didn't Sigourney have a small role in the studio control room?

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Overboard

Snooty Goldie Hawn loses her memory and falls for manly man Kurt. Reminds me of Mr Mom for some reason. Quite funny!

Go watch 'Ruthless People' next. 

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I think most movies are a bit forgettable but I remember Vantage Point because of how bad is was.

It had a brilliant premise, but not even Stuart Baird's sharp editing could save it, which is a shame, as it could have been been so much more.

11 hours ago, Sharky said:

It's one of the 'high concept' thrillers where everything rests on its fancy premise. Unfortunately that loses the novelty factor after the first 20 minutes.

Didn't Sigourney have a small role in the studio control room?

The entire theater I saw it in groaned every time the film rewinds to the beginning. 

Mean Girls

I remember this was the it-flick of 2004 I paid almost no attention to, but now seems to be a fondly-remembered cult film, probably because of its strong Hughes influences. I seem to imagine American high schools are a lot more machine-gunny than presented here, but this is Tina Fey's romanticized imagination of what tertiary battlegrounds are supposed to be like afterall. And it's easy to forget but Lindsay Lohan was radiantly beautiful and sexy back then and plays a normal person in this movie compared to this shriveled mess she's become in the years since - I miss her!

Freaky Friday

I've seen these mind-body-switcharoo stories and they can be done one of two ways. 1. They get the actors to switch roles too, like in Dreamland in Season 6 of The X-Files, or 2. The actors stay the same but have to mimic the other character's mannerisms, like in when Buffy and Faith switched in Season 4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This movie's like the latter, and the leads sell it alright. But the problem is the script holds back on the situational comedy too much - it doesn't hit the beats as hard as it could have. It's a Disney tween flick afterall, I guess. Harmless, entertaining but disappointing.

Pretty Woman

Yeah, alright. Nah, I couldn't really warm up to this one. It's an immensely popular film and had a huge influence on romantic comedies over the next decade, but I couldn't really connect with it like I did with Garry Marshall's previous flick Overboard. Maybe I just don't care much for Julia Roberts? I dunno. I'll see if I can find more Goldie Hawn flicks.

On 5/16/2018 at 11:52 AM, John said:

Indy is essentially a live-action cartoon character. It's not like he had a good deal of development or depth to begin with.

Drinking from the Holy Grail gave Indiana Jones immortality. 

*But didn't his dad die? *

D'oh. 

9 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Pretty Woman

Yeah, alright. Nah, I couldn't really warm up to this one. It's an immensely popular film and had a huge influence on romantic comedies over the next decade, but I couldn't really connect with it like I did with Garry Marshall's previous flick Overboard. Maybe I just don't care much for Julia Roberts? I dunno. I'll see if I can find more Goldie Hawn flicks.

Roy Orbison Rrroarrrrr! :wub:

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He's no Charles Aznavour!

He's my 2nd best after Charles. I also worked on his discography, but on the scale of a catalogue. He has a pretty complex discography too with a lot of alternate versions, hide here and there.

http://www.goplanete.com/orbison/orbison catalog.htm

First of all, did you know that there is at least two versions of "Pretty Woman"? First, the mono single version where he sings "Come to me" (a concession), then the LP stereo version where he sings "Come with me".

On 5/17/2018 at 12:28 AM, Alexcremers said:

Short Round 

The constant screaming

Great flick!

Drax how come you haven't gotten around to Midnight Run yet?

Quintus - majorly crushed on Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman back when was a horny 13 year old teen.