What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Considering my general disapproval of Kaminski's partnering with Spielberg ever since Schindler's, The Lost World does stand out as being one of his more suitable efforts. Interesting that it immediately followed the photographically superior Holocaust film, which was what secured him permanent residency on The Beard's projects.

Looking back, I think Catch Me if You Can is his best work since then. War Horse has scenes of striking composition too, but they couldn't really lift a mediocre movie overall.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

No it doesn't. What a load of bollocks actually. I already said I think The Lost World was an improvement over the cinematography seen in JP, indeed I think it's a fairly decently shot movie - compared to the low benchmark of the original. But it's hardly a world beating crème de la crème visual achievement of cinema. Or "prefect", as your heavily generalised hypothesis speculates. 

I do not rate the visual ID of Jurassic Park highly at all and I never have, its photography (and lighting) is one of its weakest aspects. Or, it's "crap" if you wanna get succinct.

Jurassic Park doesn't look "crap", as you claimed. It looks alright.

Sorry, I wasn't aware you held the nuances of "crap" in such high regard and might then go onto get all triggered by someone so recklessly bandying it around.

Hell, films can have the odd out-of-focus shots and go as far as to win "Best Cinematography". Braveheart did, and so did other films guilty of the same.

What matters is the overall impression, not literally every single frame or shot.

But internet pseudo film criticism has, among other things, a tendency to blow such issues completely out of proportions...

42 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Well when someone calls something "crap", I'm like "Well how bad could it be? It's not like shots were out of focus or the lighting was all wrong."

I just think you place too much emphasis on the little things people say to flavour their text. Jurassic Park is low quality cinematography to me Jerry, I think it's crappy. Sorry about that. The fact that it's competent in that regard is irrelevant to me. I can also make out what's going on in The Hobbit movies, the shots are in focus there too.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I wouldn't put much stock in that since Joey hates everything that doesn't look conventional.

Hardly true and as usual you are wrong. Get a f-ing clue alex.

14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I just think you place too much emphasis on the little things people say to flavour their text. Jurassic Park is low quality cinematography to me Jerry, I think it's crappy. Sorry about that. The fact that it's competent in that regard is irrelevant to me. I can also make out what's going on in The Hobbit movies, the shots are in focus there too.

Not sure if you are serious but the cinematography in JP is what sets it apart from shit like Jurassic World or Jurassic World Two. The blue and orange ruins most modern  films.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Lost World looks amazing, imo. One of Kaminski's finest.

Worst cinematographer out there. 

Straw Dogs

Basically a sissy dude vs manly men story (kind of like that Australian movie Wake in Fright) and it's rather good! It plays heavily on southern stereotypes, which are probably accurate because you don't have to venture too far outside even Sydney to find out what these small hick towns are like - I can only imagine being almost steroid-like in the US. And toward the end, it becomes like Assault on Precinct 13! Could almost be a modern Western.

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You don't think Jurassic Park looks like slick nineties TV, Joey?

I think its the last SS film with excellent cinematography. 

Other than Schindler's List I can only really say that about Catch Me if You Can. But if a director wants an easy way to make a movie look good, you set it in the Sixties.

30 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Straw Dogs

Basically a sissy dude vs manly men story (kind of like that Australian movie Wake in Fright) and it's rather good! It plays heavily on southern stereotypes, which are probably accurate because you don't have to venture too far outside even Sydney to find out what these small hick towns are like - I can only imagine being almost steroid-like in the US. And toward the end, it becomes like Assault on Precinct 13! Could almost be a modern Western.

Fascist! (or so said Pauline Kael)

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Other than Schindler's List I can only really say that about Catch Me if You Can. But if a director wants an easy way to make a movie look good, you set in the Sixties.

Schindler's List had that it factor that the Oscars love but JP looks better shot to me. It certainly is better scored. Way better as in a 5***** is bigger than 4****.

53 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Straw Dogs

I take it that you are talking about the 2011 remake, and not the 1971 original (which is brilliant, I might add)?

17 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Schindler's List had that it factor that the Oscars love but JP looks better shot to me. It certainly is better scored. Way better as in a 5***** is bigger than 4****.

Absolutely not.  I think Jurassic Park has very good cinematography, unlike some others here.  Its score is also masterful.  But Schindler's List is utterly superior in every way.   

7 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Schindler needed a Kilar score. Should have been more like the trailer.

Sacrilege!

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

Absolutely not.  I think Jurassic Park has very good cinematography, unlike some others here.  Its score is also masterful.  But Schindler's List is utterly superior in every way.   

Sacrilege!

Not in my universe. Especially the score. JP is an essential JW score SL is more of a nice to have and sit on the shelf. It is the 2nd best 1993 JW score. 

Wyatt Earp.

I only kept watching this one because of my sudden increased interest in the United States. Liked the beginning, but quickly got tired of the endless 'heroism' and acts of violence. The ending is cringeworthy.

The score is mostly great, but the main theme wasn't really my thing.

2 movies.

War Horse.  Revisited it for the first time in a while.  Quite poetic, in a Longfellow sort of way.  Spielberg's visual approach is notable.  More economic than he usually is.  The cinematography is mostly good.  The story and script are quite good.  I was wrong about the ending scenes in another thread; the decisions here are perfect.  Save for a couple of scenes, perhaps, I don't think Williams overscored the film.  The music is quite effective.  Overall, 3.5 out of 4.

WarGames.  A pretty good movie for what it is.  It keeps pace and motion for the most part.  The characters aren't all that bad.  Matthew Broderick does a decent job here, as does John Wood.  They wrote Ally Sheedy's character as a bit too air-headed in some scenes, but she pulls off her role nicely when the script is in her favor.  Arthur Rubenstein's score is serviceable.

Overall 3 out of 4. 

Passengers

One of those "what the fuck is going on?" kinda movies where nothing makes any sense until the gradual reveal. Not bad, but slow and boring at times.

Return to Me

If only Bonnie Hunt made more movies. She has talent. Rather sweet and harmless rom-com.

Passengers starts off okay but quite quickly stops being intriguing. It could be been more interesting though ...

I bet no one will be able to guess what movie this shot is from!  I paused the movie here randomly and thought it was sort of oddly beautiful

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2018-05-25_at_8_14.48_PM.png