What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I bet no one will be able to guess what movie this shot is from!  I paused the movie here randomly and thought it was sort of oddly beautiful

Reveal hidden contents

Could be A STAR IS BORN (1954), or BUGSY.

Watched Fight Club last night, after 18 years! It's a well-made film but I always find it to be way too smug for its own good. The Dust Brothers score is very good actually.

Karol

44 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Watched Fight Club last night, after 18 years! It's a well-made film but I always find it to be way too smug for its own good. The Dust Brothers score is very good actually.

Karol

It's all quite Nolanesque though. 

I never warmed up to Fight Club either. I recall rather vividly how popular it was when it hit the DVD market and it was quite an impressive two-disc set for its time, which set new standards in how films should be presented on home video. But the movie itself... I could never tell whether it believed in what it was preaching or was it all just cheeky and satirical. A strange movie experience. Gen-Xers seem to love it though.

I just remember that Fight Club, like Three Kings and The Matrix, was a film that you were pressured into liking by the small circle of hip film types online at the time. Otherwise, you just weren't with it, man.

I remember it well, it's that same small group of hip film types that didn't care for your taste for the megalithic (Titanic, Godzilla, Trump, ...). However, those people are gone now, replaced by the Nolan religion.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

I think its smugness is an essential part of the concept. The score is good, yes.

It's also perhaps the best film adaptation of a book I know. Because it's exactly the book. Nearly all the dialogue from the book is there, and everything that happens in it, except for two short passages that are not in the film (one of which was scripted but cut) and a changed ending (not for the worse). I'm a fan of Chuck Palahniuk, but Fight Club was probably the least engaging book I've read by him, simply because knowing the film, it read like the script.

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I think its smugness is an essential part of the concept. The score is good, yes.

It's also perhaps the best film adaptation of a book I know. Because it's exactly the book. Nearly all the dialogue from the book is there, and everything that happens in it, except for two short passages that are not in the film (one of which was scripted but cut) and a changed ending (not for the worse). I'm a fan of Chuck Palahniuk, but Fight Club was probably the least engaging book I've read by him, simply because knowing the film, it read like the script.

It's a very well made film. But it also knows it is. It's cool and it constantly tells you so. That might be a bit of a problem, you see.

Karol

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I remember it well, it's that same small group of hip film types that didn't care for your taste for the megalithic (Titanic, Godzilla, Trump, ...).

Probably the same lot who talked up Donnie Darko like it was the Second Coming.

25 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's a very well made film. But it also knows it is. It's cool and it constantly tells you so. That might be a bit of a problem, you see.

Karol

Not for me. I appreciate the swagger.

29 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's also perhaps the best film adaptation of a book I know. Because it's exactly the book. Nearly all the dialogue from the book is there, and everything that happens in it.

That's such a backwards criteria for good adaptation.

The point of adaptation is the capture the essence of the source material (be it a book, a historical event, biography, etc...), not every individual beats.

31 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's such a backwards criteria for good adaptation.

The point of adaptation is the capture the essence of the source material (be it a book, a historical event, biography, etc...), not every individual beats.

Yes. So? Fight Club does that. It even manages to do that while staying 100% true to the book - which isn't generally necessary, and usually not possible, but in this case it works. It's a spot on adaptation and at the same time it renders the book virtually redundant. Beat that.

I'm not talking about Fight Club.

I'm talking about the all-too-prevalent perception that a "faithful" adaptation needs to be at all faithful to the individual story beats in the source material: it so doesn't!

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'm talking about Fight Club.

I'm talking about the all-too-prevalent perception that a "faithful" adaptation needs to be at all faithful to the individual story beats in the source material: it so doesn't!

Case in point: The Hobbit.

ROTFLMAO

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I just remember that Fight Club, like Three Kings and The Matrix, was a film that you were pressured into liking by the small circle of hip film types online at the time. Otherwise, you just weren't with it, man.

I appreciate all three, but I don't like any of them.

@Margo Channing.

Jerry, Screen Junkies does a good "honest trailer", for FIGHT CLUB.

29 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I'm talking about Fight Club.

So you're saying Fight Club is a bad adaptation simply because it manages to do that and still succeed?

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

I appreciate all three, but I don't like any of them.

@Margo Channing.

Jerry, Screen Junkies does a good "honest trailer", for FIGHT CLUB.

Some people prefer movies with philosophical substance (active watching) while others like movies that numb the mind (passive watching).

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So you're saying Fight Club is a bad adaptation simply because it manages to do that and still succeed?

Tbh, I never interpreted your post in the same way Chen did. I just thought you were literally saying Fight Club was remarkable for being very faithful to the original book. It wasn't meant as a commentary on the merits of source faithfulness per se.

That's not what being "faithful" to the source material is!

The best service a film can do to its source material is to be the best film it can possibly be in putting the main plot and themes of the source material to film.

Yes, because he maintained the main plot and the themes of the source material by shuffling, removing, shortening, adding and/or expanding the individual story beats.

If a book reads like a screenplay as Fight Club does, than you wouldn't need to change as much, but the mere act of changing, removing or adding stuff doesn't make  an adaptation any more or less faithful. The quality of the resultant film does!

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's not what being "faithful" to the source material is!

I know what you mean but my angle was literal faithfulness. 

But you're saying, Chen, that something like Jackson's LOTR was extremely faithful to the Tolkien books, but in a broader "in spirit" sense.

Both approaches can be worthwhile, done right. It's really irrelevant.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

It was okay. I'm not big into these movies, but I'm sure fans of the first one hate this sequel with a passion for some reason. Nice to see Gordon Gekko up to his old tricks again, and boy is he a tricky bastard, but you'd have to be an idiot not to see his big swindle coming in this movie. Funny this came out in 2010 but imagine if it was made now in the smartphone and automation era. I could watch a third one about Gekko being replaced by a computer.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Tbh, I never interpreted your post in the same way Chen did. I just thought you were literally saying Fight Club was remarkable for being very faithful to the original book. It wasn't meant as a commentary on the merits of source faithfulness per se.

Yes, thank you!

5 hours ago, Richard said:

The question is: can one have both, in the same film?

MV5BNThlOTFhOGEtZjE2NC00MzMzLThkYWItZjlk

(Although I mistrust anyone who watches this as pure fun entertainment)

Aw hell yeah, Starship Troopers! One of my favorites next to Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket! It shows what America could be if liberals didn't poison the country and its relationship with the military. HOOO RAH!

On 5/25/2018 at 8:17 PM, Disco Stu said:

I bet no one will be able to guess what movie this shot is from!  I paused the movie here randomly and thought it was sort of oddly beautiful

Reveal hidden contents

Oh I forgot to say.  This is from Hoosiers.

Dirty Dancing

Evil youngin defies her honourable father by uniting with a hooligan who teaches her ungodly dancing to sinful music! Fun movie, really! Funny how distintly 80s music creeps into movie set in 1963.