What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I think people who bag on RFBP2 and Rambo III haven't even watched them. Instead they just form an opinion based on their reputation as "idiot action" flicks.

They can't touch First Blood! (I do have a soft spot for Rambo III, like the street fight scene). I actually find First Blood to be a touching film, another in the class like Taxi Driver that viscerally explores the psychological fallout of Vietnam, and war in general.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

War of the worlds.

Okay-ish, but I had expected it to be much better. The only character I liked in this film was the woman trying to take Rachel with her. Don't know who I dislike more, Rachel or the boy.

The score was mostly appropriate and I especially loved the ethereal choir when that woman wanted to protect Rachel. The finale is totally misscored, though, unless a family reunion needs to be a gloomy affair.

Shame you couldn't see the visual storytelling in this film, it's very powerful, far more than Koepp's square dialog (what dad has a scene like the sandwich one in the house?Koepp is the epitome of writers that make pure movie screenplays, hollow and devoid of human authenticity) . The music is great.

Right, but I just read from two independent reviewers that the tripods looked extremely clumsy and un-futuristic. Also, how do aliens plan an invasion for years and then don't realise they'll get killed?

58 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Right, but I just read from two independent reviewers that the tripods looked extremely clumsy and un-futuristic. Also, how do aliens plan an invasion for years and then don't realise they'll get killed?

Aww man, they're dope. They do look a little retro (inspired by classic invasion movie designs), but their looks combined with the sound effects and the occasional musical accompaniment...? You do NOT wanna mess with them.

Game Night - Enjoy a good comedy mystery film, and this is no exception. The actors played off each other really well, and I laughed a lot. The dialogue is so witty. It gets a bit too "serious" at the end for my tastes, but otherwise it made for a really entertaining watch. - 7.5 / 10 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Are you saying infections and diseases aren’t realistic?

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Are you saying infections and diseases aren’t realistic?

No, I'm saying it doesn't make sense for aliens not to know about them in advance.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No, I'm saying it doesn't make sense for aliens not to know about them in advance.

Why? We don’t know about potentially deadly bacteria on some far off planet. 

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Why? We don’t know about potentially deadly bacteria on some far off planet. 

Their craft were already here for a long time. You'd think they'd have tools on board to detect potential biohazards.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

No amount of technological sophistication was ever going to stand a chance against that awful cough going around which nobody's been able to shift.

You too? I've been coughing for 2 weeks now.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I can't watch it beyond the opening salvo. If it were on TV one evening, I'd switch over after the slick highway drive camera trickery.

Koepp's dialogue is just woeful.

I like the interplay between Cruise, and the children.

Look, forget about all these Martian shenanigans, what the film really about?

The exchanges between Cruise and his kids have that awful stilted feeling that a fair few later Spielberg movies suffer from. I don't buy any of it. The dialogue isn't naturalistic to me and I just end up creasing up when I have to sit through that stuff.

Compare it with the earthy domestic scenes in Jaws, Close Encounters and E.T., and well it's as if a different director was at the helm.

I wonder if after Schindler's List and Jurassic Park, the point where Spielberg started getting in the routine of "one drama, one 'popcorn' movie", he felt a certain need to compartmentalize his sensibilities. His dramas tend to be more earthier and naturalistic, while his blockbusters are, as you say, glossier and more artificial. Of course, a fair amount of his "latter day" blockbusters have the name David Koepp on them, so there's that.

Red Dawn

Ehhhh yeah it was alright I guess. Nice picturesque landscape shots. A bit far fetched and it's a bit stoopid sometimes. I just can't believe the US military puts up pretty much no fight in this. I'm aware this has a nostaligia following but I think they're kidding themselves. The Reds put Baby in the corner.

I actually like a fair number of Kaminski's work with Spielberg: Munich, Catch Me if You Can, Lincoln, AI, Minority Report, and a couple others. The only problem I tend to have is that outdoor lighting always looks like there was just a rain or snow storm and then the sun came blaring out.

Rewatched two quintessential british movies with a somewhat similar premise of children, er adolescents, under pressure. Carol Reed's brilliant 'The Fallen Idol' (1948) is a few notches above Ronald Neame's more workmanlike 'The Chalk Garden' (1964) but still, the impossible dignity these movies have even at their most dramatic makes them a favourite lazy sunday watching. Both are mysteries, 'Idol' concerned with a child and how it almost causes a catastrophe because it can't comprehend adult corruption - a butler working in a foreign embassy in London falls under suspicion when his wife accidentally falls to her death, the only witness being the impressionable young boy - and it's a most interesting premise. 'The Chalk Garden' sees Hayley Mills as problem child that finds her match in Deborah Kerr's equally troubled governess. Interesting especially in the sense that such dramatics are rather unthinkable in interactions between children and adults today, but still they make for great, suspenseful entertainment.

MV5BNzgzN2M4ZWQtNjNmNS00NzYyLThjMDgtNzQ0

220px-%22The_Chalk_Garden%22_(1964).jpg

Krull Its not a terribly good movie, but it is a terribly fun movie.  The cast is easy on the eyes, even if the acting and script are rather thin and pointless.  (There do seem to be some allegorical elements, intentional or no, in the story, however).  Of course, the score is gorgeous.  2.5 out of 4 stars.

The China Syndrome.  One of my favorites.  A classic of intrigue and tension.  I also have this thing for nuclear power.  Anyway, the film is shot magnificently, paced very well.  Ms. Fonda's acting is not as good as her reputation suggests, but Jack Lemmon really carries this film.  A tour de force from the veteran. 

13 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

The China Syndrome.  One of my favorites.  A classic of intrigue and tension.  I also have this thing for nuclear power.  Anyway, the film is shot magnificently, paced very well.  Ms. Fonda's acting is not as good as her reputation suggests, but Jack Lemmon really carries this film.  A tour de force from the veteran. 

Great score!

David Arnold wrote some of my absolute favorite film scores of all time.

He just didn't keep pumping out great work in the years afterward, like other artists who composed some of my other favorite scores of all time (Williams, Horner) did.  Bummer.