What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Johnny English

Okay I loved this. It was like Kingsman, only... I dunno, it was a different kind of spoof. Rowan Atkinson in this reminds me of Leslie Nielsen in the Naked Gun flicks and Russel Coight in All Aussie Adventures - completely incompetent but manages to fool others into thinking they're good at what they do. And he was even dressed like Mr Bean at the beginning! He was also so tough, he didnt let "a bit of poo" deter him from the job. Can't wait to catch the second one.

bellbook081.jpg

Bell, Book and Candle: Just saw that 1958 witch and sorcery 'comedy' again and jeez, it's the same year as 'Vertigo', features the same actors and a similar look and feel to Sir Alfie's immortal classic. This one has Jack Lemmon, though. J. K. Rawling must have had a hard look at this one, as the depiction of witches among us shares many similarities with the Potter world. It's also a bit on the melancholy side though the score tries to sell it as a whimsy. 

5 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Johnny English

Okay I loved this. It was like Kingsman, only... I dunno, it was a different kind of spoof. Rowan Atkinson in this reminds me of Leslie Nielsen in the Naked Gun flicks and Russel Coight in All Aussie Adventures - completely incompetent but manages to fool others into thinking they're good at what they do. And he was even dressed like Mr Bean at the beginning! He was also so tough, he didnt let "a bit of poo" deter him from the job. Can't wait to catch the second one.

It's quite well known here that Aussies are especially avid fans of Atkinson's non Blackadder characters. Johnny English actually started out as a character created specifically for a Barclays bank ad campaign in the Nineties. Someone had the idea to turn it into a movie, which was universally panned upon release I seem to recall. Personally, I've never seen it and I was never a fan of Mr Bean. Not my humour. The kids enjoy it though and they even watch the cartoon.

5 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Johnny English

The third one comes in October.

Flatliners

God, the original was nothing special, but this was even worse. I found it baffling that Ellen Page, the only starpower they had for this, was killed off midway through - spare me the "But what about Psycho?" comparisons, it's not the same. Believe me, you're not missing anything.

The original's fun enough, not to be taken too seriously ... style over substance, but that's to be expected from a 90s Schumacher movie. And a positively stellar cast in comparison.  

8 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The original's fun enough, not to be taken too seriously ... style over substance, but that's to be expected from a 90s Schumacher movie. And a positively stellar cast in comparison.  

I had seen this in my teens and I remember it had made a huge impression to me. I don't know how it would hold up now for me personally.

But I'd like to watch it again because I found the theme being original.

On 06/06/2018 at 7:31 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

FLATLINERS introduced me to the music of JNH, so I owe it a considerable debt. Kevin Bacon always gives great value, and Oliver Platt is good comic relief.

Transformers

It's been 11 years, but I finally got to see it. Cheap looking tele movie! Nah, very slick looking film, but tonally it's all over the place! I never expected to hear the word "masturbating" said once, let alone twice in a friggin' kids movie. I guess it was 2007 and they wanted to push some boundaries.

3 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Transformers

It's been 11 years, but I finally got to see it. Cheap looking tele movie! Nah, very slick looking film, but tonally it's all over the place! I never expected to hear the word "masturbating" said once, let alone twice in a friggin' kids movie. I guess it was 2007 and they wanted to push some boundaries.

It what context was it said?

As a thirteen year old I thought it was fun! I took it from a more absurdist point of view that might not have been fully intended by Michael Bay.

Also, saw The Burbs for the first time. Was surprised to see that it only has a 50something% on Rotten Tomatoes, I thought it would've been more liked! This is absurdism done right: I love that in all its caricature and exaggeration it's a very relateable portrait of living in the modern invention called the American suburb. I enjoyed the social commentary fake out, too.

Also, this movie makes me miss a time when music in comedy movies was actually funny. Goldsmith plays an active role in the humor with his grandiose stylings that create an epic mystery out of mundane suburban yahoos...if it was scored now, it'd be pizzciato strings and triangle, too afraid to imprint any true personality on the film!

But is the movie more than meets the eye?

Even if your eye is terrifyingly possessed?

image.png

25 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Wait what?

Reportedly she was always late to set, on her phone all the time while the crew were waiting for her, and by the time she'd likened Bay's directorial style to that of Hitler's dictatorship, the writing was on the wall. Spielberg ordered Bay to fire her. Hence the hottie replacement in whatever sequel it was. Fox's star hasn't shined since.

He was called out for blame shifting to Spielberg over the Transformers affair, so that suggested he himself didn't take offence to the Hitler remark.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

He was called out for blame shifting to Spielberg over the Transformers affair, so that suggested he himself didn't take offence to the Hitler remark.

Really? Did he take it as a compliment?

1 minute ago, Margo Channing said:

But it did very well.

Better than Solo?

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The best part of that article is at the end it says (paraphrase) "Discuss: do you believe Bay? Do you care about this story anymore?" Right below: 0 comments.

32 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

What if Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson make a Transformers flick?

Shhhh. You're pratcically screaming out to Mattris right now!

On ‎2018‎-‎06‎-‎06 at 12:37 AM, Margo Channing said:

Johnny English

Rowan Atkinson is just awesome. His roles of Johnny English and Mr. Bean alone make him legendary. Can't wait for no. 3 this year: Johnny Enlgish Strikes Again.

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quite good, unsurprisingly. I didn't like Gamora, there's just a little too much bromance and Peter's jokes didn't always work, but other than that, great.

The score's main theme was fantastic, but Gamora's near-death was handled pretty badly. Loved the songs.

7 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

As a thirteen year old I thought it was fun! I took it from a more absurdist point of view that might not have been fully intended by Michael Bay.

Also, saw The Burbs for the first time. Was surprised to see that it only has a 50something% on Rotten Tomatoes, I thought it would've been more liked! This is absurdism done right: I love that in all its caricature and exaggeration it's a very relateable portrait of living in the modern invention called the American suburb. I enjoyed the social commentary fake out, too.

Also, this movie makes me miss a time when music in comedy movies was actually funny. Goldsmith plays an active role in the humor with his grandiose stylings that create an epic mystery out of mundane suburban yahoos...if it was scored now, it'd be pizzciato strings and triangle, too afraid to imprint any true personality on the film!

Transformers is a fairly horrendous film when anyone but the transformers themselves are speaking. The action set pieces and the score are superb. Last 40 minutes or so is pure Bay awesomeness.

RE: Comedy scoring

I think it depends on the individual film. I haven’t seen The ‘Burbs so I can’t comment on your particular example, but I feel that comedy should come from the performances and not the music. Goldsmith did it extremely well though in cases such as Dennis The Menace and Gremlins, where the music both added to the comedy as well as traditionally defining characters. Look to Theodore Shapiro and Christopher Lennertz for contemporary examples of comedy scoring done right. 

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Transformers is a fairly horrendous film when anyone but the transformers themselves are speaking. The action set pieces and the score are superb. Last 40 minutes or so is pure Bay awesomeness.

RE: Comedy scoring

I think it depends on the individual film. I haven’t seen The ‘Burbs so I can’t comment on your particular example, but I feel that comedy should come from the performances and not the music. Goldsmith did it extremely well though in cases such as Dennis The Menace and Gremlins, where the music both added to the comedy as well as traditionally defining characters. Look to Theodore Shapiro and Christopher Lennertz for contemporary examples of comedy scoring done right. 

I haven't listened to any of their stuff outside of the movies they scored, but remembering what I've seen, I feel like that was the kind of thing I was talking about, timid plinky music that gives no spin on  or dimension to any of the action onscreen beyond polite, mild-mannered quirkiness. 

I get your point about the music not stepping on actor's toes, but often (not just in comedies) the pendulum swings way too far in reaction. And usually, we tend to expect or want a holistic cinematic experience combining, visuals, performances, music, etc. into something beyond the sum of its parts, so why not the same from comedy?

Saving Private Ryan. I haven't seen this since the late 1990's. It was definitely on VHS on really small screen so seeing it on modern presentation. So, as you can imagine, revisiting this for the first time in almost 20 years on a big TV and 4K Blu-ray is quite a different experience. The film is better than I remember. I always thought the script, while functional, is the weakest thing about it. It's not even that it doesn't work or anything like that. But there's something really heavy-handed about the entire story concept. To his credit, Spielberg directs the hell out of this mediocre script and showcases just why he's one of the most gifted mainstream filmmakers. The sense of verisimilitude he creates with all his production values is quite outstanding. Completely forgot how gory it is as well. I also like the score but would argue the film would work just as well, if not better, without any music at all. Not necessarily a great film but a very well executed.

Karol

Greater than the sum of its parts. The astounding melee bookends simply power everything else through. After those sequences of conflict, little wonder nobody walked out talking about the saggy middle afterwards.

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The astounding melee bookends simply power everything else through. After those sequences of conflict, little wonder nobody walked out talking about the saggy middle afterwards.

Yeah, films can get a lot of milleage out of a good "James Bond opening."

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Completely forgot how gory it is as well.

I haven't watched it in years. But having seen Hacksaw Ridge, Saving Private Ryan will probably look quite tame by comparison when I get around to revisit it.

23 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Greater than the sum of its parts.

This is a good way to put it. The film is a bit of an enigma.  Probably the most influential "modern" war film, at least since Platoon, and often regarded as one of the greatest. The photography, production, music and performances are mostly top notch.  It makes almost any list of the best war movies.

But there are entire chunks of it just don't work. Somewhere around the time they encounter the French family w/the little girl things take an unfortunate turn for the worse, and they really don't pick up until they finally find Ryan (though the scene where one of soldiers tries to desert is quite good). That said, the parts that do work, work very well, and there's no need to mention the brilliant the first 20 minutes.  It's a great film that often is nothing more than average, and occasionally tedious.

Band of Brothers obviously owes an enormous debt to SPR, but the fact is it's way, way better.