What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Ah that Mel Gibson again... ;)

To be clear I'm not comparing the films in any way. I haven't watched Hacksaw since the theater, and I haven't watched Ryan since the early 2000s. I'm just comparing the gore - which is definitely much more Gibson's forte than it is Spieberg's.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

To be clear I'm not comparing the films in any way. I haven't watched Hacksaw since the theater, and I haven't watched Ryan since the early 2000s. I'm just comparing the gore - which is definitely much more Gibson's forte than it is Spieberg's.

But wouldn't that be precisely what makes it less shocking in a Gibson film?

Karol

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

But wouldn't that be precisely what maks it less shocking in a Gibson film?

In something like the even-more-violent Apocalypto, which opens with gore upfront, yes. Hacksaw however opens quite tame, with the battle only beginning at the midpoint. It hits the audience like a truck!

My memory of Saving Private Ryan is that its the opening that’s the goriest part of the film. They're polar opposites in that respect.

10 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Spielberg's gore is cinematic.  Gibson's is visceral. Gut wrenchingly so. I don't think I could watch Hacksaw Ridge again for that reason. 

That.

Its funny, when I looked up hebrew-written reviews to Apocalypto, there was considerable digust expressed over the gore, with one critic imagining what Gibson's daily routine on such a film must be like: "well, what do we have today? two ripped hearts, a bitten-off face and an impalmenet! hurray!":lol:

9 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Also, this movie makes me miss a time when music in comedy movies was actually funny. Goldsmith plays an active role in the humor with his grandiose stylings that create an epic mystery out of mundane suburban yahoos...if it was scored now, it'd be pizzciato strings and triangle, too afraid to imprint any true personality on the film!

You forgot the jolly clarinet. But that's basically what I recently said. Mostly it's just the same cheerful and joky music. The score of The Burbs supports the character drawing and it is still crazy experimentation. It comments on the movie's subject matter and it parodies half of the entire musical history. Technically it's not the most complex score, but it's truly a very intelligent one.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

There's no comparison. Spielberg's gore is cinematic. Gibson's is visceral. Gut wrenchingly so.

Hmm, earlier, I almost added (but decided to leave it for a follow up response) that at the time (I was 21), I found SPR to be the most strikingly visceral film experience I'd had at the cinema.

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

You forgot the jolly clarinet. But that's basically what I recently said. Mostly it's just the same cheerful and joky music. The score of The Burbs supports the character drawing and it is still crazy experimentation. It comments on the movie's subject matter and it parodies half of the entire musical history. Technically it's not the most complex score, but it's truly a very intelligent one.

Ew, woodwinds? No thanks, too classical.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Big and bloated, but oddly fun and dazzling. Like a cartoon, really. Some effects shots lack the fidelity that was so eye-catching in the first one, probably due to post-production rush. I really liked that baby Transformer that was humping Megan Fox's leg. Is that Frank Welker doing the voice of those mini robots?

16 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Until Ted Danson showed up and it pulled you right out of the movie. The guy from Cheers?

Well, to be fair I had already been watching the guy from Big and Forrest Gump for about an hour by that point.

On 10/06/2018 at 7:26 PM, Margo Channing said:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Big and bloated, but oddly fun and dazzling. Like a cartoon, really. Some effects shots lack the fidelity that was so eye-catching in the first one, probably due to post-production rush. I really liked that baby Transformer that was humping Megan Fox's leg. Is that Frank Welker doing the voice of those mini robots?

I thought the first one was kinda fun for what it was, but I utterly hated ROTF ... like being screamed at by angry kitchen appliances for 2-and-a-half hours while they're slapping you round the face at the same time. I have avoided all the subsequent Transformers flicks as a result. 

250px-Philomena_poster.jpg

Steve Coogan's snootiness, modern depression style, balances well with Judi Dench's plain Jane dotage, Desplat's melancholy calliope waltz adds immensely. It may be strictly for sunday afternoon viewings, but it's a charmer.

Good film with a good humour considering the subject. Sort of like how families affected by tragedy will sometimes laugh about it as a form of private shorthand.

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I thought the first one was kinda fun for what it was, but I utterly hated ROTF ... like being screamed at by angry kitchen appliances for 2-and-a-half hours while they're slapping you round the face at the same time. I have avoided all the subsequent Transformers flicks as a result. 

Maybe because I'm watching these movies for the first time on a regular sized lounge room tele through the cable box, and with no sound system hooked up, I don't experience this aural and visual assault that so many people complain about with these movies.

8 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Bumblebee actually looks decent.

Amazing what happens when you ditch Michael Bay for Laika's Travis Knight.

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing

Seeing Jennifer Jones playing a "Eurasian" chick reminded me of that episode of Seinfeld where he dated a white woman who had a Chinese name, much to his disappointment. Pretty flick in all its soapiness. Nice Alfred Newman score. I wonder how many shots Jones had garlic breath just to ward off William Holden?

30 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

Love is a Many-Splendored Thing

Seeing Jennifer Jones playing a "Eurasian" chick reminded me of that episode of Seinfeld where he dated a white woman who had a Chinese name, much to his disappointment. Pretty flick in all its soapiness. Nice Alfred Newman score. I wonder how many shots Jones had garlic breath just to ward off William Holden?

At least, in that one, she didn't fall out of any tall buildings.

19 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Maybe because I'm watching these movies for the first time on a regular sized lounge room tele through the cable box, and with no sound system hooked up, I don't experience this aural and visual assault that so many people complain about with these movies.

The visual assault I would say is still very much present on the small screen: I’m not talking so much about the explosions and such but just about the Michael Bay camerawork: there’s way too much movement throughout the entire runtime of any of his films (which are anything but short) such that it burns me out.

It literally gives me a headache, even in simple dialogue scenes.

A friend of mine who's a huge superhero fan streamed Captain America recently, and since he's nice enough to show up every time I stream horror movies, I showed up for this.

Red Skull was pretty kewl, but the whole thing was pretty lacking in any flavor or personality otherwise. It felt like a less soulful Rocketeer (not outright soulless, mind you, just quite a bit of the heart vacuumed away). The cinematic equivalent of saltine crackers with peanut butter. 

Also, as for the score...Craig Safan called, he wants his Last Starfighter theme back whenever you're done using it, mister Silvestri sir.

Blade Runner 2049

Yeah I dunno. Ran a bit long and I'm not sure what the whole point of the story was. As if the first movie couldn't have been any more meditative or leisurely, this sequel extends that to almost three hours! Certainly has some merit like the atmosphere and visuals, but I'm on the fence about it. I really liked the hologram girl though, it'd be great to just carry your girlfriend around in your pocket and switch her off when she's not needed, hehe.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Blade Runner 2049

Yeah I dunno. Ran a bit long and I'm not sure what the whole point of the story was. As if the first movie couldn't have been any more meditative or leisurely, this sequel extends that to almost three hours! Certainly has some merit like the atmosphere and visuals, but I'm on the fence about it. I really liked the hologram girl though, it'd be great to just carry your girlfriend around in your pocket and switch her off when she's not needed, hehe.

Well, I thought the opening scene with Drax was tonally actually pretty good. At that moment my hopes were kinda up.

The slowness did not bother me but the movie gave me very little in return. There doesn't seem to be an emotional or intellectual payoff (as there is in Blade Runner or 2001: A Space Odyssey).

I didn't like the idea of Deckard & Rachael having a daughter but that was probably the film's main playing card.

I seriously disliked the bombastic loud sound of the ship's horn (or whatever it was) during the flying car sequences. 

Deckard not giving up trying to kick superior officer K's ass was absolutely not funny but something tells me it's your favorite moment of the entire movie. Am I right?

Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind about Blade Runner 2049 when I see it a second time.

So far Prisoners is the only Villeneuve movie that I liked.

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Blade Runner 2049

I really liked the hologram girl though, it'd be great to just carry your girlfriend around in your pocket and switch her off when she's not needed, hehe.

It's the most interesting philosophical question the film poses and when he sees the same girl on the giant billboard in the finale, it's more than worthy of Scott's original. Too many needless subplots, yes.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's the most interesting philosophical question the film poses and when he sees the same girl on the giant billboard in the finale, it's more than worthy of Scott's original. Too many needless subplots, yes.

Agreed! A very powerful moment. And the sex scene was great, too.

I also liked the scene where Deckard was with Leto's character, such a beautiful visual scene. Would've been cooler though if they had been able to have Bowie as they originally wanted.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I didn't like the idea of Deckard & Rachael having a daughter but that was probably the film's main playing card.

This is where the Blade Runner flicks lose me on a techno-babble level. What are the Replicants exactly? Are they robots like Ash from Alien or the Hosts from the new Westworld? Or are they actually organic like us, blood 'n guts and DNA and all, only just grown in a lab and come with serial numbers? Wouldn't that make them more like "clones"? If they were just robots, they wouldn't decompose to a skeleton like Rachel did, would they?

Girls Trip

It's not my kind of movie, and it goes off on irritating tangents sometimes. Tiffany Haddish was hysterical, but even her antics grow annoying after an hour. 

2 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

Or are they actually organic like us, blood 'n guts and DNA and all, only just grown in a lab and come with serial numbers? 

This!

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Michael Bay sure wanted everyone to get their money's worth. I kinda dug this one. Not quite as good as the first, but better than the second. Only real weak link was Mutt's new girlfriend, who exhibited the personality of a foot pedal. Really, how the human characters survive these epic battle scenes without sustaining some debilitating injuries (or just dying) is beyond me.

Spectre (2015)

Saw this one the other night for the first time since the initial release. After the absolute triumph that was Skyfall, Spectre is a bit of a let down. The plot makes no sense, most of the action sequences, while impressive, were completely devoid of jeopardy for Bond, and the Bond girl is flat out boring (it should have been Monica Bellucci).  The family connection between Bond and Blofeld was a serious misfire and sadly Christoph Waltz, who should have been one of the all time great Bond villains, was wasted. The SPECTRE organisation itself bears little resemblance to the legendary cartel of the older films, and the attempts to tie everything from the previous Craig outings felt hamfisted. Mendes reportedly had to be cajoled into doing this one and his lack of enthusiasm shows. And Craig frankly looks bored in many scenes.

Still, it's a gorgeous film to look at, the opening scene in Mexico City is stellar, and it's by no means among the worst of the Bond films (i.e. Quantum). It's a solid, if not middling outing, that's just a step down for Mendes & Co., who should have done better.

As an aside, I think this trend of getting into Bond's "inner life" in the films is a mistake. It's OK to hint at his past, but delve too deeply and I think you take away partly from the mystique that has made the character so enduring for 25 films.