What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

If I remember correctly, much of the movie was filmed in narrow windows each day just before sunset, to get the look right.

You don't really see that kind of thing from directors nowadays. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It wasn't exactly common back then.  Malick was an eccentric from the start.

Days of Heaven is his masterpiece!

He has multiple masterpieces! ;)

Days Of Heaven is his most succinct film though, and it has Morricone’s gorgeous score. Thoughts on the music, @Quintus?

Married to the Mob

Being so familiar with The Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia, it was near surreal seeing all those classic Demmeisms used in a comedy. Like those piercing subjective camera angles, and actors from those other two flicks. Movie was okay. I laughed at Matthew Modine's super efficient way of getting dressed in the morning and feeding his cats.

The Witches

It's an underrated gem. Anjelica Huston is reliably delicious as the main villain, while Rowan Atkinson is delightful as the hotel manager. Nicholas Roeg manages to capture the dark humor and cynicism of Dahl's novel, even with the changed ending. That is one instance where the film's ending is preferable to the original book's. I can kinda see why Dahl was pissed with the changed ending, but you need an emotional catharsis in this instance. (Plus, Dahl's description of the witches as "all bad" comes off as sexist.)

Stanley Myers' score is another underrated find. I'm surprised LaLaLand or Intrada haven't snapped the rights to this up. 

2 minutes ago, Matt C said:

The Witches

Stanley Myers' score is another underrated find. I'm surprised LaLaLand or Intrada haven't snapped the rights to this up. 

God those main titles are effing glorious

Night at the Museum 3.

I really don't understand why these movies were such critical failures. They're not special, but still a lot of fun, though the first two were better than this one. This final entry is all right, but I don't like the Nikki and knight subplots. I do kind of want spin-offs with Rebel Wilson and Laa now.

This is undoubtedly Alan Silvestri's best NATM score, although I found the sad moments disappointingly shallow.

1 hour ago, John said:

Life of Pi (2012)

This is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen.

***** out of *****

Saw it in theaters with a friend, thought it was lovely, but never really had the urge to rewatch it. Didn't they get a little heavyhanded in the end with suggesting that a lot of the elements may had been on-the-nose metaphors?

18 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Saw it in theaters with a friend, thought it was lovely, but never really had the urge to rewatch it. Didn't they get a little heavyhanded in the end with suggesting that a lot of the elements may had been on-the-nose metaphors?

There are metaphors, yes, but I wouldn't really call them "heavyhanded." It's left open to interpretation for the viewer.

Just now, John said:

There are metaphors, yes, but I wouldn't really call them "heavyhanded." It's left open to interpretation for the viewer.

I thought I remember the main dude at the end saying stuff like "But who knows, maybe that bird was the Chinese guy, the monkey was this dude," etc. Am I remembering incorrectly?

Then he said you can choose which story you like better, and that it's the same way with religion. I also only saw it at the cinema (with grandparents) and somehow never after.

Days of Future Past. I forget how incredible this film is.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:05 AM, Alexcremers said:

Cloverfield > ID4

Only in the Alexverse!

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I really dislike this book purely because of the lack of allegories. Ignoring the author’s pretentious self posturing between chapters, the plot itself would have been cool enough with simple parallel structure between the animals and the humans they represent outside of the boy’s repressed worldview. But if I remember correctly, the novel definitively says they were just animals. Or perhaps it’s left up to the audience as Holko said, but who in their right mind would be like, yeah the story is about talking animals. 

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I really dislike this book purely because of the lack of allegories. Ignoring the author’s pretentious self posturing between chapters, the plot itself would have been cool enough with simple parallel structure between the animals and the humans they represent outside of the boy’s repressed worldview. But if I remember correctly, the novel definitively says they were just animals. Or perhaps it’s left up to the audience as Holko said, but who in their right mind would be like, yeah the story is about talking animals. 

It's a story that will make atheists believe in God!

I had to be removed from the theater when I saw The Witches. I was already freaked out by the chopped finger, the kidnapped little girl in a creepy painting and a woman trying to lure a child out of a treehouse with a snake. Then they took off their masks and I completely lost it. Now you're all stuck with me this way.

Think I read something recently about a Tim Burton remake of The Witches being in the works.  

I guess he has 'previous' with remaking Dahl, what with his version of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory (which Dahl's family said he would've preferred to the Gene Wilder flick ... apparently, he didn't like it much). 

8 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

I had to be removed from the theater when I saw The Witches. I was already freaked out by the chopped finger, the kidnapped little girl in a creepy painting and a woman trying to lure a child out of a treehouse with a snake. Then they took off their masks and I completely lost it. Now you're all stuck with me this way.

Hmm, my young kids seemed to cope with it okay. 

30 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Think I read something recently about a Tim Burton remake of The Witches being in the works.  

I guess he has 'previous' with remaking Dahl, what with his version of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory (which Dahl's family said he would've preferred to the Gene Wilder flick ... apparently, he didn't like it much). 

Zemeckis actually.

We watched His Girl Friday. A 90min barrage of rapid fire dialogue which comes at the viewer in the form of relentless character banter, interruptions and interjections. It's exhausting, and somehow the movie wound up feeling longer than it was. 

Seriously remarkable writing and stage direction, technically impressive performances, but it wore me out. Disappointingly not the movie I was expecting it to be. 

The Cowboys

Liked it just fine. The score's good, I want to get the new album someday, but not in any rush. It's a bit repetitive, not quite sure it lives up to the phenomenal concert Overture.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

We watched His Girl Friday. A 90min barrage of rapid fire dialogue which comes at the viewer in the form of relentless character banter, interruptions and interjections. It's exhausting, and somehow the movie wound up feeling longer than it was. 

Seriously remarkable writing and stage direction, technically impressive performances, but it wore me out. Disappointingly not the movie I was expecting it to be. 

All the movies based on the play (i'm counting 5) are that great, and that's including Wilder (Front Page). The first 15 minutes make you expect something that the rest never delivers.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:09 AM, Disco Stu said:

The Day After Tomorrow

Screw it this is my favorite Emmerich movie and I don’t care who knows it.  Probably my favorite dumb disaster movie period.  Weather disasters have always been my favorite subgenre.  This and Twister are the finest I guess.  Any other good ones?

The Day After Tomorrow was awful.  Setting aside the heavy handed environmental message, it just wasn't a good disaster pic at all IMO. 2012 and obviously ID:4 are better if that's your thing.   I remember being excited to see The Patriot because it looked like Braveheart during the American revolution, but that film was a bit of a let down. Need to give the score another go though, haven't heard it in a while. I quite like Twister. That movie creates a nice sense of ambiance and place in several scenes.

Emmerich's best film is called Anonymous.  And it's not that great either, but entertaining enough as a historical conspiracy flick for those of us interested in the authorship question.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

I remember being excited to see The Patriot because it looked like Braveheart during the American revolution

Heresy!

There's nothing like that movie. 

And isn't it against the rules of the board to utter the film's holy name in vain anyway?😉

56 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Heresy!

There's nothing like that movie. 

And isn't it against the rules of the board to utter the film's holy name in vain anyway?😉

Stand up man, it's not the Pope.

Phantom Thread. It wasn't exactly what I expected. Which, in this case, is a good thing. More tightly constructed film than Anderson's previous two. I thought it was really pretty to look at as well. He knows a thing of two about cinema, this Anderson fella. I think Daniel, as good as he is, might have been outclassed by Lesley Manville in terms of screen presence. I'm not sure whether it's a great film but it's a damn well made one.

Karol

Dunkirk (the new one)

I didn't mind it. Nolan seems to divide filmgoers. I'm just like "Who? Oh... there's a movie on. Who cares who made it?" Anyhoo, I guess it does what it set out to do, tries to honour the fine chaps making a strategic getaway. One bloke even modestly goes "all we did was survive", and the old guy goes "that's enough". Tom Hardy looks and sounds like his old Bane self while wearing that plane mask. Talk about typecasting!