What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The King of Kong

My wife hadn’t seen it and I consider it a classic.  I can confidently say that all of these people are insane weirdos.  That weird insular world of Twin Galaxies is a genuinely bizarre, original American story where everyone involved is an eccentric and you can’t believe they’re real.

PS, Billy Mitchell is the Donald Trump of gaming

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

That weird insular world of Twin Galaxies is a genuinely bizarre, original American story where everyone involved is an eccentric and you can’t believe they’re real.

Yeah, because that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.

10 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

JFK and Natural Born Killers are good films! The latter because Rodney Dangerfield. 

Both directors have made good films, but I feel like history holds them in a favorable light that they don’t deserve. They had early success that quickly devolved into shit. 

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

Forgot just how great this version is (was). Laughton is utterly brilliant, the crowd scenes would make Spielberg blush and even due censorship-induced tempering of the tragic end (the catholic church shan't be tarnished) it remains the best version of this particular story.

a6339db11bed7cc5e93e96648e7fd5f5.png

34 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Both directors have made good films, but I feel like history holds them in a favorable light that they don’t deserve. They had early success that quickly devolved into shit. 

Oliver Stone, for sure...what's he been up to since 2000? To be fair, Brian DePalma's always been over the place, consistently inconsistent. I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of his greatest appeals, all those crazy swings with the bat.

-Nick, a DePalma fan

A couple friends of mine have spent the past half year going through every single Bond movie in chronological order. I pop in and watch with them here and there.

Skyfall in tonight's case.

All I can say so far is...holy crap, Thomas Newman's way better at this than David Arnold ever was.

34 minutes ago, publicist said:

end (the catholic church shan't be tarnished)

There's a great scene in The Wolfman--and I apologize if this is disrespectful--where Talbot is asking his father about the possibility of a man transforming into a wolf. His scientist father completely dismisses the idea, saying that the werewolf is purely allegorical, and that any literal transformation is impossible, it's too fantastic. Then he wraps up the discussion with "Time for church."

15 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Oliver Stone, for sure...what's he been up to since 2000?

Hanging out with Putin, apparently. 

He holds the honor of being the director of the only movie I’ve ever walked out of the theater from. 

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

He holds the honor of being the director of the only movie I’ve ever walked out of the theater from. 

The 9/11 movie? W.? Amazing how many candidates are eligible for a guess.

9 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I've never walked out on a movie.

I wanted to walk out of Alien vs Predator: Requiem, and Meet the Spartans. 2008 was not a good year for movies on my end.

I walked out of Transformers 3, but seeing it wasn't my choice in the first place. This was back before I was old enough to drive and decide for myself what movies to see, rather than friends/family decide for me.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah, because that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.

Have you seen the movie?  I didn’t mean to imply the concept as uniquely American, but that this particular bizarre insular group of eccentrics is uniquely American in a way that both amuses and repulses me.  Possibly because I recognize some small part of myself in these people, haha.

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

A couple friends of mine have spent the past half year going through every single Bond movie in chronological order. I pop in and watch with them here and there.

Skyfall in tonight's case.

All I can say so far is...holy crap, Thomas Newman's way better at this than David Arnold ever was.

I think TND is one of the very best 007 scores ever, but he never quite hit that height again. For me, Newman's scores were a welcome change of pace, especially since I couldn't stand QoS.

I love Thomas Newman, I really do.  One of the great film composers of all time.  My affection for some of my favorite T. Newman scores is beyond description.  I find his Bond scores as dull as dishwater.

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I love Thomas Newman, I really do.  One of the great film composers of all time.  My affection for some of my favorite T. Newman scores is beyond description.  I find his Bond scores as dull as dishwater.

Really? I love that suspense bit that goes "duh-rum-rum-rum-rum-rum-rum-rum-rum-rum" and keeps repeating.

2 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I've never walked out on a movie.

I noticed you don't walk out on a movie even at home. 

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I wanted to walk out of Alien vs Predator: Requiem ...

And rightly so ... Top 10 worst-of-all-time material!

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

Now your mental state is starting to make sense...

The truth is Drax likes all movies, even the bad ones.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I wanted to walk out of Alien vs Predator: Requiem

The only movie I've ever walked out on was Alien Covenant, actually.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

Which was better than AvP: Requiem.

Probably, but I had no hopes or interest in that so I didn't see it.  Most of the movies I probably would walk out on I'm smart enough to not go to in the first place.

I posted about it here. 

I thought it was much worse than Prometheus, although similarly afflicted by distractingly idiotic characters.  I think I walked out around the time Danny McBride said “Fuck it let’s take the colony ship down into the hurricane so we might rescue like 2 people”

Like I say in that thread I thought the reverse engineered mythology, so common to shitty prequels, only diminishes the genius of the original.

I did write something of the same effect about it:

On 1/26/2018 at 10:57 PM, Holko said:

But on the other hand, it completely demystifies the original one(s), and makes Ripley and co.'s efforts seem completely weightless and unimportant against this one little alien and that one nest with the queen, when it's just the playoff of an intergalactic war between an ancient and wise species who created humanity, and a rogue android who created "perfect organisms" to destroy them both.

Gee, rereading old posts really isn't a fun excercise. What's that style, what was I thinking in the rest of the post?

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The King of Kong

My wife hadn’t seen it and I consider it a classic.  I can confidently say that all of these people are insane weirdos.  That weird insular world of Twin Galaxies is a genuinely bizarre, original American story where everyone involved is an eccentric and you can’t believe they’re real.

PS, Billy Mitchell is the Donald Trump of gaming

Yea, it's great!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Skyfall is brilliant. Spectre, not so much. But Newman was never very good at sequels anyway.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I kinda liked it. Better than Prometheus for sure. The humans are still all mentally challenged, that bothered me a bit.

Nah. Prometheus at least had some sense of intrigue. Covenant was a boring waste of time.

Both are stupid. But consider how millenials and gen-xers react in real life situations the stupidity in both films is understandable. 

2 hours ago, Holko said:

I kinda liked it. Better than Prometheus for sure. 

I thought so too. No, Covenant is not a good movie but more entertaining and less irritating than Prometheus, IMOBut I also realize the film owes everything to Fassbender's double part. It would be nothing without that character. Everything else is meh. I still don't know who truly directed The Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

W. 

The walk out doesn't surprise me, it's the walk-in that's a surprise!

re: AvP: Requiem for a Dream of a Movie that's Not Total Dog Vomit

It came out during the height of my fandom of both respective cinematic sagas...my friends and I were so pumped because it was going to be rated R: it wasn't going to hold punches!...The result was one of the most disgusting, morally bankrupt, mentally offensive films (gay sausage jokes?) I've ever seen. For all of the fan-pandering garbage that movie smeared into you, those two clowns who directed and wrote the movie sure were clueless about the movie they were making...by the time it got to the xenomorph going into a maternity ward and killing a pregnant lady, I thought, "Yeah, this isn't why I watch Alien or Predator. Screw you, jackasses."

It's hard for me to imagine Alien: Covenant being around that level!

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It wasn't anything I sought to hear out of context, but he's just a way better composer than David Arnold in any circumstance, no contest. The latter's Bond music was so deprived of life that even Giacchino would look down upon him and guffaw.

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

The latter's Bond music was so deprived of life that even Giacchino would look down upon him and guffaw.

I just disagree.  I love at least three out of his five.

I don't necessarily require a Bond composer to completely ape John Barry, but I do expect a degree of fun, melody, and accessibility like is found in not just Barry's Bond scores, but also in Hamlisch, Conti, Arnold, Kamen, even Serra.  Newman's scores were drab wallpaper to me.  Again, I love his music most of the time.  Just not there.

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It wasn't anything I sought to hear out of context, but he's just a way better composer than David Arnold in any circumstance, no contest. The latter's Bond music was so deprived of life that even Giacchino would look down upon him and guffaw.

You are so utterly wrong!

The Mummy Returns

First half was kinda promising, second half got really stupid. I now have a newfound appreciation for the quality of the CG in the first one. The most genuine moment was probably Imhotep's reaction and self-sacrifice when the bitch left him to die after all he went through for her. I mainly watched it for the score, which I guess I would've liked if I could have made it out.