What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

He could, and there's wonderful stuff when he's allowed to come to the surface instead of buried fully.

The movie also went full LotR ripoff at the end... Months before Fellowship came out. Huh?

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

The Mummy Returns

First half was kinda promising, second half got really stupid. I now have a newfound appreciation for the quality of the CG in the first one. The most genuine moment was probably Imhotep's reaction and self-sacrifice when the bitch left him to die after all he went through for her. I mainly watched it for the score, which I guess I would've liked if I could have made it out.

And this song really should've been tracked in for the climax ;)

17 hours ago, publicist said:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

Forgot just how great this version is (was). Laughton is utterly brilliant, the crowd scenes would make Spielberg blush and even due censorship-induced tempering of the tragic end (the catholic church shan't be tarnished) it remains the best version of this particular story.

Newman's scoring of the final battle is brilliant. The film is a bit hampered by censorship throughout, not just at the end. At times, even the Disney version (which I like a lot, by the way) nearly seems slightly more faithful to the book. It still has much to admire, of course.

Speaking very randomly of Catholicism, I was recently looking through some old issues of my university's newspaper from 1960 and was amazed at how prevalent the anxiousness about JFK's catholicism was in "on the street" interviews with random students.

One female junior began her interview with "In full sympathy with prevailing anti-Catholic sentiments towards Kennedy...."

A faculty member: "Unfortunately for the Democrats. all their presidential contenders have significant liabilities—Stevenson's two earlier defeats. Humphrey's advanced liberalism, Johnsons Southern connection, Symington's lack of a public image, and Kennedy's Catholicism."

Jaws 2

I was kinda into the first 30-40 minutes actually.  Not great but I was feelin’ the vibe.  Then it just fizzled.  Dull 2nd and 3rd acts.  The drama never felt very urgent; the action was badly, even sluggishly, staged.  Brody spent a lot of time driving around in a boat looking worried.  I’m not sure the people on camera in this movie count as characters. It wasn’t offensively terrible, just kinda there.  I’ll forget most of it pretty quick.

Great score!  Glad to finally hear the music in context, for what it is.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Newman's scoring of the final battle is brilliant. The film is a bit hampered by censorship throughout, not just at the end. At times, even the Disney version (which I like a lot, by the way) nearly seems slightly more faithful to the book. It still has much to admire, of course.

In all fairness, though, there are adjustments that just make more sense for screen adaptation (i. e. several characters joined into one, the Disney version, as far as i recall, made Frollo a judge, which made more sense than his more muddled role as Archdeacon and so on).

The direction is still very cinematic, as far as camerawork and mise én scene go, and i find it rather handsomely mounted. It's of course a risible picture, with the Scarface shark and teens cracking bad Catskills jokes, but it's handsome and has prolonged scenes just for John Williams' underwater music and some great action scenes, so i will speak not ill of it.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I like how the director's name rhymes with "shark".

If you have orofacial cleft...

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

And Lea Thompson in Jaws 3. ❤️

Walking a motionless fibreglass shark

JAWS+3+Baby+Shark+Dies.png

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Jaws 2

I was kinda into the first 30-40 minutes actually.  Not great but I was feelin’ the vibe.  Then it just fizzled.  Dull 2nd and 3rd acts.  The drama never felt very urgent; the action was badly, even sluggishly, staged.  Brody spent a lot of time driving around in a boat looking worried.  I’m not sure the people on camera in this movie count as characters. It wasn’t offensively terrible, just kinda there.  I’ll forget most of it pretty quick.

Great score!  Glad to finally hear the music in context, for what it is.

If into the Jaws sequels you go, only pain will you find.

9 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Hey, I like his Roland Emmerich music fine! It's just his Bond music I'm referring to as being personality-deprived noise.

I respect your decision, Kasey, but perhaps you should give DA/Bond another go. General consensus of opinion, is that TND is his best Bond score. Personally, I like QOS.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Half the fun of a Jaws movie is how you kill the beast and Jaws 2 at least has a crackin' ending.

Yeah. The ending is shocking, poshitively shocking.

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Lea didn't have much to do in Red Dawn either.

I'd show her a red dawn ;)

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

If into the Jaws sequels you go, only pain will you find.

My journey ends here.  I’m only in it for Williams scores.

The Incredibles - because I'll probs catch the sequel over the weekend. Charm, chuckles, eye-popping animation, mayhem to rival same in live-action superhero flicks and a brilliant Michael Giacchino Bond-pastiche score.

Its rejection of the 'Everyone who competes is a winner!' idea that has taken hold in school sports is very interesting ... as Mr Incredible/Bob puts it, 'We're just celebrating mediocrity'.       

10 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It was to me. Wondered if it stemmed from some sort of personal experience of Brad Bird's. 

Yes all of the rejection he went through over the first half of his career.  Being fired from Disney, struggling to get projects off the ground, while he saw other crappy animated films get made.  He’s quite egomaniacal, but undeniably talented.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Its rejection of the 'Everyone who competes is a winner!' idea that has taken hold in school sports is very interesting ... as Mr Incredible/Bob puts it, 'We're just celebrating mediocrity'.       

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Is that interesting?  I hear it from every grumpy middle aged dude I meet.  I don’t necessarily disagree, it’s just hardly original.

It's not original, but to say it in 2004, and in an animated film, was oddly prescient.

Jaws

The funnest re-watch I've ever had in a long time. It's been a while since I caught up with the old shark, and boy it's just as good as I remember. A chilling movie with an oddly fun feel at times. Williams score delights, brings to life, in thrives on the never-ending suspense, which has you on the edge of your seat 'til the very end (I was actually reclining comfortably eating, well, shark gummies). I find it very creative how the presence of the shark is represented most of the time by an object floating above it, such as the shattered remains of a dock and those yellow buoys. Many great lines allow the movie to flow between attacks, but the third act is just all out sharkiness! It was a true delight to enjoy one of my favourite movies once more!

Image result for jaws yellow buoysImage result for jaws vandalized sign

The Circle

Modern tech thriller with not a lot of thrills. Some big questions raised about our social media addicted culture though. Elfman scored this? This music could've been written by anyone.

91Nn26BiCjL._SL1500_.jpg

Something about the relationship between the monster and the girl is missing. It is all too easy and superficial, which is sad, because it's what the movie is about. It's almost as if Del Toro has never seen E.T.! The Shape Of Water actually feels like a live-action animated film with lots of clichés. Whatever emotions it generates, you all have felt it before and better. For me, it's the disappointment of the year (especially after Crimson Peak)! 5/10 :(

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Elfman scored this? This music could've been written by anyone.

That's what I like about it: it doesn't "sound" like Elfman.

This is the same reason why CHANGING LANES is my favourite Arnold score.