What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Actually I'll give Geostorm one point over Independence Day Resurgence for the fact that Devlin isn't afraid to actually shoot exteriors outdoors, while Emmerich seems hellbent on keeping even the most mundane of settings on a blue screen sound stage no matter what.

And it has Abbie Cornish.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:05 PM, Strangways said:

Red Heat. 

Silly stupid film but it's fun in a way and I like the score (Russian Streets was one of the first Horner tracks I ever heard thanks to the 2CD Titanic: Best of Horner thing I got for Christmas aeons ago). Also, only just twigged it's got the guy who looks vaguely like a Russian Connery in Hunt for Red October. Sven-Ole Thorsen...and he's Danish. 

It's like 30C here so I apologise...

I also have a soft spot for RED HEAT.

CLEANHEAD BUST is my favourite track.

Mission: Impossible

It has been many years since I’ve seen this one, and it holds up surprisingly well in its action and suspense considering most of everything else is quite dated. The classic black vault scene is still fantastic, though De Palma’s camerawork leaves much to be desired overall. The 4K upgrade looks great. 

JERRY's VIEWINGS

The Historical Drama of the Week

I started The Imitation Game last night. Boy, it's gripping and delightful. Benedict Cumberbatch plays a shy and literal mathematician who takes on a mission to decode the impossible Enigma codes of the Nazi forces during the second World War. The movie bounces from after the war to during the war to before the war, and other than the changes in time, it has a lot going for it. It's another great historical drama that needn't be instilled in war, but in the people behind it. It is a wartime film but like another one of my favourite films, Darkest Hour, it is not the bloody battles and air raids, instead the people who fought with their wit, their brains, and their determination and willpower knowing that while they're sacrifice may not cost them their life on the battlefields of Europe, it may indeed save many others. 

The Classic of the Week

I revisited The Wizard of Oz as well. It always amazed me how perfect this film was, with undeniably memorable songs and score, a classic plot, and quite interesting characters. A steady top-of-the-list film for me. Long live the classics.

The Oddity of the Week

I also took a shot at-ahem- Peter Rabbit, mostly to see how Domnhall Gleeson would fit into it. The rabbit part of the film was odd, strangely rude, and perhaps a disgrace to the works of Beatrix Potter, at least to purists. I know I didn't fancy their representation in this movie. Domnhall however is quite good, a lone star possibly. However, he's overshadowed by how poor the film is. A pop music soundtrack which does no justice to any scene, a pig with dieting problems, etc. It's a flop, floppier than a cottontail's ears. You may have liked it, but it's not for me.

M:I-2

My Mission: Impossible marathon continues with John Woo’s awesome entry. Slow motion, white doves, impossible physics, electric guitar, explosions, Tom Cruise wearing sunglasses on a motorcycle... I never understood why everyone hated this movie. It’s 90s action brilliance!

Just now, Koray Savas said:

M:I-2

My Mission: Impossible marathon continues with John Woo’s awesome entry. Slow motion, white doves, impossible physics, electric guitar, explosions, Tom Cruise wearing sunglasses on a motorcycle... I never understood why everyone hated this movie. It’s 90s action brilliance!

Awesome. Seriously its the worst of the series. Woo is a mediocre/terrible director. Its the one I skip. It almost killed the franchise. 

Mission-Impossible-II-Tom-Cruise-Ethan-H

gay: cheerful, cheery, merry, jolly, light-hearted, mirthful, jovial, glad, happy, bright, in good spirits, in high spirits, joyful, elated, exuberant, animated, lively, sprightly, vivacious, buoyant, bouncy, bubbly, perky, effervescent, playful, frolicsome;

11 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Mediocre/terrible? Just pick a word, you can't use both at the same time!

And yet I did. I saw faceoff and the stealth bomber film.

47 minutes ago, Richard said:

M:I-II is the most unM:I film there is, and the weakest, and to think it was co-written by the guy who did CHINATOWN...

Sheesh kebabs. Mayonnaise.

Well, apparently Cruise on a motorcycle wearing sunglasses is a cinematic turn on for some members here.

55 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I think there are more but Koray is the only one brave enough to admit it.

It’s okay to turn your brain off and enjoy over-the-top schlock. Not everything has to be an artistic masterpiece. 

20 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I thought ‘gay’ meant cheerful?

Turn on - activating dopamine receptors in brain, hence the expression. Really, you're out of element when trying to talk to Alex. He doesn't have time for your dumb "shlock", as you put it. 

Alex, I'm really looking forward to your review of the new Ant Man film! Looks action-packed, can't wait to hear what you think!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Mission: Impossible II is one of the worst films I have ever seen

I don't recall if it was THAT bad, but I strongly disliked it. The only film in the series I didn't like so far.

Beetlejuice.

Hmm, this is a difficult one to review. After the first 15 minutes, I thought I was going to love it. Half an hour later, I was losing interest. And another 20 minutes later I was completely okay with the absurdity of it all and enjoying every second again. It's ridiculous, but it's also hilarious. I really liked Geena Davis and Jeffrey Jones' voice somehow reminded me of a very rude tour guide I just had to endure in Ireland. Michael Keaton was interesting, to say the least.

Danny Elfman continues to surprise as well. After discovering his amazing music for Avengers: Age of Ultron, I've become a lot more open and accepting towards his work. Some of this music reminded me of Mozart while other pieces really didn't make any impression on me at all, but overall, it's an interesting score. I don't understand why the main theme was used during the opening scene of Bean, though.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

We desperately need a "Hide post" option.

We do have an ignore list!