What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

5 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Why was it so huge when it was released?

You need to look at a film's staying power, not at the film's hype during its release. So many films are huge when they are new, but as time passes, most tend to fade from our memory.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The scenes feel claustrophobic, with not much established setting.

Couldn't agree more.

6 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Tom Cruise's hair in the second one looked kinda fake.

As does the rest of the guy. :lol:

6 hours ago, Richard said:

The whole thing was fake. Solid character actors such as Richard Roxborough, Dougray Scott, Brendan Gleason, and Rade Shebedgia were wasted. Goodness knows how much Tony Hopkins was paid to be, in this crud?

A truly insulting piece of junk, a turd, and the worst M:I film by a country mile.

Not to mention the lousy score.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Couldn't agree more

The opening Prague scene does such a great job of atmosphere, using the city exteriors and interiors to really set the mood. 

While the tech looks very '90s, that doesn't really age the film in my eyes. 

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Ah, yes! Zimmer in full-on rock star mode. Pathetic, and moribund. A clanging gong; an empty vessel.

Elfman, you mean. :) Although the score to the follow-up isn't any better.

Mud

Another good Matthew McConaughey role in a film made up of really fine performances across the entire cast, with the two kids being the absolute standouts. A young Tye Sheridan is practically unrecognisable to his later Ready Player One appearance, which is to say he's much, much more engaging an actor here than he was in the Spielberg movie (a certain irony exists there) and he has real poise and screen presence the likes of which is only seen in the very best and most memorable child performances. It's obvious Spielberg was a big fan of his immediately after seeing this film.

A modern Stand By Me for all intents and purposes, this story about a hapless "badass" found by two exploring boys on a remote Mississippi river island, in hiding there after taking lovers revenge on a bad guy with bad connections; the pact which develops is genuinely heartfelt and believable. It's a really nice and well made film which doesn't really take a single misstep during its slow burn runtime... right up until the final few seconds of the story, and an unnecessary confirmation coda, which sadly goes to pains to ruin any kind of mystical ambiguity the climatic scenes earlier so deftly left with the viewer. Why why why!! It was so close! 4 out of 5.

1YeVIxp.jpg

Talking about over-the-top action, Lockout was on TV yesterday, but its overdose approach made me too nervous to watch it. 

3890_2995.jpg

On 7/29/2018 at 8:17 PM, kaseykockroach said:

Because Spielberg was bored and it shows. Not to mention how it butchers its score. 

Indeed.  A movie Spielberg really didn't want to direct "based" on a book Crichton really didn't want to write.  

It's OK. I haven't watched it in years and it's very likely I'll never watch again.

The charm was gone by that point, and has been since the first film. There's only so many ways you can tell that story, something I think both Spielberg and Crichton came to realise. Once you get past the wonder (and the first film is wondrous), you're left with just the screaming and running.

The Tremors direct to DVD sequels frankly have more fun and charm.

59 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

The charm was gone by that point, and has been since the first film. There's only so many ways you can tell that story, something I think both Spielberg and Crichton came to realise. Once you get past the wonder (and the first film is wondrous), you're left with just the screaming and running.

Curiously enough, Westworld showed that the story still has potential. It's funny that the original Westworld was a rather simple 70s take on the dangers of technology getting out of hand, which was then turned into the far more complex Jurassic Park novel, which was then severely dumbed down for the film, and now we have a series based on the WW film that makes JP the novel look simple and superficial.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

And yet still entertaining, albeit on the most rudimentary level.

Entertaining? It must be subjective then! But you say it as if it's written in stone ...

Pretty Woman

The movie that inflicted Julia Roberts on the moviegoing public. Basically set the framework for romantic comedies, but it has an easygoing charm and goes down smoothly. It's definitely the best film Marshall's directed, everything else is terrible.

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

Pretty Woman

The movie that inflicted Julia Roberts on the moviegoing public. Basically set the framework for romantic comedies, but it has an easygoing charm and goes down smoothly. It's definitely the best film Marshall's directed, everything else is terrible.

I really found this movie an utter bore, and sometimes just plain frustrating to watch.

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

Pretty Woman

Women also seem to love his Beaches, but yeah.

A tizedes meg a töbiek (The Corporal and the Others) (1965)

A fantastic WWII comedy about a ragtag group of deserted soldiers, officers, a POW, a civilian, a butler and a wounded enemy soldier trying to escape from war, holing up in an abandoned mansion between the German and Russian frontlines, constantly having to outsmart both armies.

One of the first movies to make light of the War, allowing the still effected generations who saw it back then to connect to it in a different way than "it took away 3 close family members, but look how heroic it was!". Both the heroes and villains are bumbling idiots, except for the cunning and charismatic but (for the most part) heartless and immoral lead, all played by the best actors of the era having great fun hamming it up for the comedic tone. But by the end of it, shit does get real and you can cut the tension with a knife in the courtmartial scene.

Twice selected among our best movies (in the top 12 in 1968, and in the top 53 in 2000), it also deeply penetrated the public consciousness and we still quote multiple lines daily that we don't even necessarily know came from this.

For some reason I got an idea to watch a few Pixar flicks.

Toy Story trilogy

First one is my childhood, second one's OK, too, third one... I'm not crying, you're crying.

The Incredibles

First time seeing this, and it's surprisingly... intense? Mature? I don't know how to describe this, but it's not the little kiddie flick I expected. The portrayal of midlife crisis/burnout is really striking, and the themes are grown up, too. Really liked it.

Inside Out

Now this was way too dumbed-down and kiddie for me. The message is kinda nice but Butters articulated it better in 30 seconds:

Pixar really had the golden touch until recently.  I'm afraid their glory years are over.

I'll have to look into that Hungarian film, though.  Sounds interesting.

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I really found this movie an utter bore, and sometimes just plain frustrating to watch.

It is boring in sections. 

Roberts is more palatable in supporting roles. Her star vehicles (apart from Pretty Woman) just irritate me.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Women also seem to love his Beaches, but yeah.

Us Queers love it too. We adore Bette

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Care to explain this?

Bette got her start in the gay bathouses and has used hrr voice in support of the gay community. Plus we love woman with legitimate  voices.

Ratatouille

Damnit, now I'm hungry!

I used to love this and still do like it. The finale with the critic is just sublime.

Really enjoyed the score, too, lovely sweet fluff, and Le Festin really opens the nostalgia gates. Hmm, apparently I never hated French as much as I always thought.

I should have picked up that Widescreen VHS of TPM I saw at Blokker once. It was only five Euros and it would have been my only chance to own a legitimate widescreen copy of the original cut.

Oh well.

Wouldn't have been able to play it by now anyway.

I count only one good scene (most of TMP is downright childish) but we've already talked about it too many times. Don't you guys move on?