What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Perhaps it all started when she washed young Dustin Hoffman's baby-maker?

lbmpendrake1.jpg

Regarding Ready Player One, I gave it another go ... but failed. I don't know how you people do it!

Escape From New York - it's many years since I last saw this slice of dystopian sci-fi from John Carpenter, with Kurt Russell at his most gruffly anti-heroic (a persona he'd send up in Carpenter's Big Trouble In Little China, just 5 years after this) and support from the likes of Lee Van Cleef, Ernest Borgnine, Isaac Hayes, Harry Dean Stanton and Adrienne Barbeau and her fine rack (sadly kept under wraps in this, but as Google has shown me that was very much not the case in other parts she played).  

Wyrmwood : Road Of The Dead - this Aussie action-horror is basically Mad Max with zombies. Looks much better than it has any right to on its budget, and has an energy and a few original touches (and some humour) that make it well worth a go. 

The Shining sequence was the best part of the movie. Everything else ranged from embarrassingly cringy to moderately entertaining. 

BMW Films presents...

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

While I enjoyed both of these, they lose a lot of identity compared to the first three films with Bad Robot overseeing production. They feel like a continuation of the Abrams aesthetic rather than having their own style. The set pieces are all pretty fantastic, but there were some pretty goofy CGI stunts that felt out of place as well, but all in the good name of promoting the amazing safety features of BMWs! Paula Patton didn't do any favors to 4, and Josh Holloway and Lea Seydoux were underutilized. I also found it underwhelming that they blew the main stunt right at the beginning of 5. It didn't even have a proper resolution, just cut straight to credits when he pulled the chute.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's pretty good!  Spielberg's best Blockbuster in a decade

I agree, although there is only Tintin and BFG which qualify with it. I thoroughly enjoyed RPO at the cinema.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

I do have a little crush on Olivia Cooke. Sweet looking gal.

She should have been the main character. Absolutely no reason to have the male lead. 

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

She should have been the main character. Absolutely no reason to have the male lead. 

Agreed. He was a boring Spielberg stand-in tulpa. Olivia stole the show as the story progressed.

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

But if she was the main character, that would have meant Spielberg is a....gasp...SJW! 

I now wonder if there was some truth in what Elizabeth Banks said about his movies in a not-so-diplomatic way. Besides The Color Purple and Sugarland Express, he's often shied away from using female leads. Although in RPO's case, it was based on a novel afterall.

11 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Haven't you said this before here? It's a statement which is familiar to me. I consider it about as pointless an observation as Indiana Jones having no effect on the outcome of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

In Last Crusade, without Indy, the Nazis would have eventually made it to the Grail place anyway, but would have had no idea how to get past even the first challenge, they would have run out of "volunteers", and eventually packed up and left.

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Haven't you said this before here? It's a statement which is familiar to me. I consider it about as pointless an observation as Indiana Jones having no effect on the outcome of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

That's actually true though. I was saying that long before Big Bang Theory! Even as a young whipper snapper Indy fan this was sadly obvious to me.

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

In Last Crusade, without Indy, the Nazis would have eventually made it to the Grail place anyway, but would have had no idea how to get past even the first challenge, they would have run out of "volunteers", and eventually packed up and left.

Probably blowing the place up before as a parting shot.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

That's actually true though. I was saying that long before Big Bang Theory! Even as a young whipper snapper Indy fan this was sadly obvious to me.

A higher power was involved.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

That's actually true though. 

Yeah I know, but without Indy's involvement I would never have got to experience the thrill of the chase [of the romantic interest and of the macguffin].

Crusading millennials and anal retentives always seem to miss the point of it all in someway, I've observed.

Applies to Raiders, RPO and probably plenty of other flicks.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah I know, but without Indy's involvement I would never have got to experience the thrill of the chase [of the romantic interest and of the macguffin].

Well that much is certain. It's nothing more than an interesting observation, not a flaw in a film that's damn near flawless.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, Koray Savas said:

@Corellian2019 informed me that Fincher’s Panic Room is getting a 4K releas later this year. Can’t fucking wait!

Isn't it weird how that's the first of Fincher's films to get a 4K release?

Watched a handful this weekend!

1)  The Princess and the Frog - pretty good Disney animated musical.  I wasn't hooked until the midpoint, but heck if I wasn't tearing up by the end of it.  Twelve stars!

2)   Alice in Wonderland - The Disney version. I know I'd seen this as a kid, but I remembered zero of it.  I was surprised with how aimless/plotless it was - kind of by necessity, given the looniness and source material.  It was pretty good.  Ten stars!

3)  Iron Man - We started a slow rewatch of the Marvel universe.  The villain was cheesy once he suited up, and Robert Downey Jr.'s hair was very bad in a 2008 sort of way.  Otherwise held up well.  Two thumbs up!

4)  Inside Out - this was a rewatch, too.  First time for my kid.  She was very sad when we lost "Ding Dong."  Also noted some good scoring that I forgot about towards the end.  I love this one.  Four stars!

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Alice in Wonderland - The Disney version. I know I'd seen this as a kid, but I remembered zero of it.  I was surprised with how aimless/plotless it was - kind of by necessity, given the looniness and source material.  It was pretty good.  Ten stars!

You know, they used to screen this on college campuses during the 60s.  "Enhanced" with some "special effects" of course.

Anyone here ever see the movie Big Night with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shaloub?  It was discussed at length in a recent interview with Shaloub on NPR and it sounded great.  I want to see it.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyone here ever see the movie Big Night with Stanley Tucci and Tony Shaloub?  It was discussed at length in a recent interview with Shaloub on NPR and it sounded great.  I want to see it.

I have, I saw it for the first time a few months ago. It's a great small film about cooking and food. Also after watching it, it made me hungry, and that's probably the highest compliment I can give a film of its kind. 

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It is excellent!  And it made me HUNGRY!

22 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

. I also found it underwhelming that they blew the main stunt right at the beginning of 5. It didn't even have a proper resolution, just cut straight to credits when he pulled the chute.

True story: When they filmed that, it was supposed to the climax of the film.  During the production process, it ultimately became the cold open instead.

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I learned about it from a great film podcast I listen to (The Film Vault), but I have't gotten around to seeing it yet