What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Zootopia.

I guess it was okay, though I have mixed feelings about all the 'messages' the film was trying to convey and the Bellwether plot twist was utterly stupid and overacted.

The score has good moments, but, yet again, the lack of any reverb is pointless and annoying. In the end, I like the song more than any of the music. Hire a good mixer, Michael Giacchino. Please.

14 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Jack Reacher 2: Never Go Back

jack-reacher-movie-poster.jpg

It's Jason Bourne for dummies. 3/10

The book is brilliant but the geniuses who made this terrible movie decided to change the whole plot and make everything bad. This movie shouldn’t be called Jack Reacher as it had nothing to do with the books which are great. I was really disappointed when I saw this.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Jesus Christ. I knew this wasn't good, but I never thought it was this bad. What a godawful piece of noise this is. 😲

Clearly you are not intellectually prepared for its greatness. ;)

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its a spiritual successor of TOD. 

BIGGER! MORE! LOUDER!

Eddie Deezen in full glory.

It's a bad movie, but there are spectacle and action sequences that - freed from the needless story ballast - belong to Spielberg's very best. View it as a show reel.

Maggie's Plan

c69df7504deb3fb6db24e63b84010262.jpg

Director Rebecca Miller is the spouse of Daniel Day-Lewis. She makes independent movies and this quirky romantic comedy is one of those movies. It even features their children. Isn't that just wonderful? 6/10

MaggiesPlan_LB1-1.jpg

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its a spiritual successor of TOD. 

BIGGER! MORE! LOUDER!

After seeing 1941, I feel Kate Capshaw is forever absolved from getting shit for her screamy performance in Temple of Doom. That must have been all Spielberg's direction.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

After seeing 1941, I feel Kate Capshaw is forever absolved from getting shit for her screamy performance in Temple of Doom. That must have been all Spielberg's direction.

Same for Short Round.

In the first 20 minutes and the little skipping I did with it, all I saw was people smiling ear to ear or screaming. There were some funny ideas, but realised in a way that didn't even make me grin.

Not my cup of tea, this one. Neither is the score which is almost as annoying as Hook in its over-eagerness. The only good Indy film is Raiders.

Karol

There are funny performances in 1941, too. But god forbid JWFan stray too far from conventional wisdom, which labeled 1941 a dismal flop - which it certainly never was (the drug-hazed, chaotic production excepted).

People used to say the same about the incessant kids screeching in Goonies, but for some reason it never bothered me. I dunno, maybe it's because I know it's staged, and because I see it matches the visual context of the scene; my brain somehow nullifies the noise, as if to expect it. I'm okay with it because I realise it's just a movie with peril or whatever. But real screeching I cannot abide. It's like gore - I love it in the movies, even the really bloody gratuitous stuff; but if I know something like that is real, I can't cope. Real gore, the mobid grizzly nature of it, fucks me up.

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The only good Indy film is Raiders.

Karol

Okay so this isn't Drax or myself. So, in the words of Marty McFly's brother, when the hell did this happen?

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Kate Capshaw never bothered me at any time in ToD, in fact I always liked her character and performance. I thought it suited the comical nature of the movie.

It's funny, I feel the same way now, but not always.

I went a long time thinking of Marion Ravenwood as the tough broad and Willie Scott as the annoying screamer. But in the past few months I've done a re-watch of all three Indy movies with someone who'd never seem them and I've switched around that opinion. Looking at it now, Marion annoys the hell out of me.  It all starts well enough at her bar, but then things take a most unfortunate downturn for her character...a lot of screeching and complaining. In the Well of the Souls scene she's almost unbearable.  Seriously, I found her annoying as f*ck. Conversely, Willie Scott didn't bother me at all, and her brand of complaining didn't seem at all inconsistent with the character. Anyway, it didn't annoy me as much.

As an aside, I've always considered TOD to be the least of the three films, and I still feel that way, but the most recent viewing was the best for me and I enjoyed a lot more than I used to. There's a lot of hidden gems (no pun intended) in that film and Ford gives probably the best performance of the trilogy.

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Oh but it was soooooo dark because Lucas was going through a divorce at the time :sarcasm:

Suuuuuuure George. 

Actually that started while making Return of the Jedi.

Karol

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I went a long time thinking of Marion Ravenwood as the tough broad and Willie Scott as the annoying screamer. But in the past few months I've done a re-watch of all three Indy movies with someone who'd never seem them and I've switched around that opinion. Looking at it now, Marion annoys the hell out of me.  It all starts well enough at her bar, but then things take a most unfortunate downturn for her character...a lot of screeching and complaining. In the Well of the Souls scene she's almost unbearable.  Seriously, I found her annoying as f*ck. Conversely, Willie Scott didn't bother me at all, and her brand of complaining didn't seem at all inconsistent with the character. Anyway, it didn't annoy me as much.

Same here! Marion seems an inconsistent character switching back and forth between "toughness" and helpless screaming. Willie is at least more consistently written and reacts to everything realistically and in character.

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Actually that started while making Return of the Jedi.

Karol

I'm not really interested in the whys and the wherefores, I'm just quoting what Lucas always very tediously says in interviews about Temple of Doom.

34 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't think that's the case. He hooked up with Capshaw later. 

Blimey, turns out he didn't get with Kate till '89. But he'd obviously already aimed his predator vision at her rack during the filming of TOD.

Amistad

I did quite like it except for the short "slaves are literally Jesus" scene and the end in the Supreme Court or "every movie speech ever with those boring Americana horns" making the matter seem much more important than it actually was. Cinque not being able to bear the tension and shouting "Give us free!" with the Dry Your Tears melody is probably my favourite bit.

Dry Your Tears, Afrika remains one of my favourite compositions of all time but I don't really need anything more from this score than its rendition on Spielberg/Williams III.

I don't like the original adult voices recording of Dry Your Tiers, Afrika at all, never did do. But then I heard a child choir perform their take on it at least year's proms and it was a delight. Much better.

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Looking back now, Close Encounters really wasnt that good. Jaws is his only great film, IMO.

First part is correct.  Second, not so much.  Schindler's List is his high point.  Jaws is right up there. Raiders and Jurassic Park not too far behind.