What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Same as Ridley Scott's, so what? Scott is also still one of the finest living director's out there. I don't suddenly disregard all past achievements of an entire career based on a handful of more recent output which may or may not have been to my tastes or preferences. How ridiculous would that be. 

7 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

George Lucas

James Cameron

Joel Schumacher

Tim Burton

Sam Raimi

1. American Graffiti was good

2. very good

3.terrible

4. has his moments

5. not familiar with him

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I love the fourth one!

It is a fun movie.

1 minute ago, John said:

Steven Spielberg

Stanley Kubrick

Wes Anderson 

Martin Scorsese

70s-era Francis Ford Coppola

More than decent list!

10 minutes ago, John said:

Peter Jackson!

- Chen G., probably. 

No, he'd say Mel Gibson for Braveheart.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Would you prefer we list Fellini or von Trier?

I 'prefer' nothing, just stating the odour of tristesse and sameness regularly fuming from these musty utterings.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Two Jakes is a very interesting film though.

Surely better than anything Dick Donner came up with after 'Lethal Weapon'.

Forgotten movie that I used to watch a lot because we randomly had it on VHS: National Lampoon’s Class Reunion. A weird comedy that has a lot of horror elements to it.

Nobody remembers it exists and it’s a true piece of shit.  But it did introduce me to Chuck Berry, who shows up to sing “My Dingaling” for the class reunion.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But it did introduce me to Chuck Berry, who shows up to sing “My Dingaling” for the class reunion.

What's sad is that for all his incredible influence on music...rock, blues, you name it...My Dingaling, basically a novelty song, was Berry's only #1 hit. Yet most of the rock bands from the 60's onward copied his sound.

And what's really sad is that an entire generation grew up thinking that Berry stole his sound from a white middle class teenager!

7 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

What's really sad is that for all his incredible influence on music...rock, blues, you name it...My Dingaling, basically a novelty song, was Berry's only #1 hit. Yet most of the rock bands from the 60's onward copied his sound.

And what' really sad is that an entire generation grew up thinking that Berry stole his sound from a white middle class teenager!

A big yep to all that.  He’s a genius!

I got this compilation below 10 or so years ago and got well and truly obsessed with it.  His final album from last year was a fun listen.

R-2663755-1295569028.jpeg.jpg

On 8/19/2018 at 9:02 PM, Holko said:
On 8/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, John said:

Peter Jackson!

- Chen G., probably. 

No, he'd say Mel Gibson for Braveheart.

I really can't list directors by pedigree, living or otherwise.

But I do really enjoy Gibson's directorial work: not just Braveheart but also Apocalypto and Hacksaw Ridge. Putting aside the script and looking strictly at the directing - there's some top notch craft in there.

Jackson is the director of my single most revered film, but I also like the rest of his directorial input (sans Lovely Bones) since then, to varying degrees. Gibson is much more consistent in the quality of his films, but also less productive, and works on a smaller (but never-the-less grand) scale. There's actually a lot of similarities between the two: I'll remind you that Jackson pointed to Braveheart as inspiration to The Lord of the Rings, and its certainly appearant.

In terms of contemporary directors, I also really like Nolan, obviously. I've warmed up to Abrams' cinematic works, too.

For some reason, I've seen Michael Bay's name thrown into the mix. Lets just say he's fine in very small doses.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

And what's really sad is that an entire generation grew up thinking that Berry stole his sound from a white middle class teenager!

:lol:

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

My Dingaling, basically a novelty song, was Berry's only #1 hit.

That is the worst thing that can happen to a worthy artist's reputation.  Great pity when it does.  Happened to The Bangles. 

6 hours ago, publicist said:

It's JWFan's bi-monthly listing of the same 80's/90's Hollywood journeyman directors, perk up and listen, children!

Why do you visit this thread, although you know what to expect?