What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Seinfeld wanted to end the show gracefully, when it was still peaking. The reruns are making Seinfeld and Larry David tons of money. Reviving the show today, with or without Seinfeld, would be deemed 'desperate'.

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. Decided to give those two a rewatch on the recent 4K discs. The first one is still surprisingly a very enjoyable, if daft, romp. It is certainly a better film than stuff like Crystal Skull and Goldmsith's score is first rate. The somewhat dated CG effects really add to the B-charm of it as well (which is actually a bit of a surprise). The second one, however, is pretty bad. And the special effects look really atrocious in higher resolutions. It looks half the budget of the first film.

Karol

5 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

What a tagline! 

Always, Titanic, Room, ...

Have you ever seen Love Story (1970), Norman? If not, you should check it out, even though it might be a too small a movie for you.

STAR WARS (4K77 DNR version)

csillagokhaboruja1.jpg

Obligatory viewing since I just reached the release part in Rinzler's book. A phenomenal movie, an iconic and important piece of cinema, probably still my favourite motion picture of all time. Classic fairytale, idealistic, uncynical, pure, funny, exciting, entertaining, in an equally silly, gritty and "realistic" science-fiction universe the like of which has never before been depicted on film quite like this. Perfect as is, needs no messing around. Score is perfect. The one thing I'm not looking forward to in the LtP is having to watch the Bluray.

4K77 looks great and sharp, nice contrast, detailed shadows, rich colours, and with this DNR version it has a definite, but non-distracting amount of grain and virtually no dirt or scratches.

After reading the mono mix actually resolves issues with the rushed 5.1 and stereo mixes instead of just changing things for the sake of it (whatever gave me that idea :sarcasm:), I gave it a try and really liked it. The quality, noise amount and clarity still jumps around a bit but massive issues like TIE Fighter Attack echoing all over the place, and minor offputting bits of cheesiness like the chasm echo are fixed here. It is the superior mix, too bad it's mono. I guess an official version could go back to original elements and create a surround mix based on the mono.

Lost In Space

Gosh I haven't seen this in 20 years since it was in cinemas. Interesting how the effects haven't really aged well mostly, and they look a lot like the effects in Jason X. Must be that New Line Cinema look. Unbelievable how they made a movie in the 90s that was about as corny as they did in the 60s. Couldn't take my eyes off Miss Twin Peaks.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

I guess an official version could go back to original elements and create a surround mix based on the mono

Or just watch the mono from now on. I only ever watch Jaws with the mono track.

With Jaws, are you guys referring to the Bluray's infamous 7.1 track? I have the DVD and haven't yet noticed anything too bad with its 5.1 surround.

800px-Laurence_Olivier_Merle_Oberon_Wuth

Wuthering Heights

The 1939 version remains the definitive version of the old Emily Brontë warhorse. Wildly romantic, exquisitely directed (William Wyler) and acted melodrama (brilliant photography by Gregg Toland). A gypsy boy is humiliated by the son of his bourgeois adoptive father and passionately loved by his daughter. Having come to wealth in South America, he finds his beloved married, whereupon his love turns to hate and he seeks revenge. It's a study on obsession and the excessiveness of feelings - Wyler directs a love that is colder than death with Laurence Olivier (miscast as stable boy, but great as vindictive Heathcliff, nevertheless) and Merle Oberon in this gloomiest of Hollywood affairs, Alfred Newman soars. An Added bonus: it all neatly fits in 104 minutes. Great movie.