What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I think the main difference is location. We don't have any scenes of Indy teaching classes or doing anything scholarly, which we do in the other 3. 

It's true that in TOD Indy is a more duplicitous character. Selling artefacts to criminals, and there are implications that he's a grave robber etc. But we kinda see that in Raiders too. He steals an idol from a temple and sells it to a musuen that doesnt ask any questions about it. Also, his past with Marian and her father is a bit shady.

For the first 2 films they were really portraying Indy as a Humphrey Bogard type flawed hero. I guess after the huge backlash TOD got they toned him down.

18 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Well in Raiders, Indy always struck me as more of an academic first and an adventurer second. To this end, he was a little nerdish and awkward...I'm thinking of his "Am I in some kind of trouble" to Marcus, his shy and awkward moments with Marion on the freighter, and his generally disarming nature as an "everyman" who gets swept of into adventures for work.

Raiders Indy is the most iconic and relatable incarnation of the character for sure.

Well Raiders itself alludes to a past Indy with a perhaps darker character. After all Marion was a "child" when he was with her and he "knew it was wrong."

Would the University let him close to young students if this came out? Would Indy survive his @metoo moment?

Well, you said camp scene, so I thought you meant the camping scenes from movie #7.  I didn't even remember that there is a campig scene in movie #4.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, you said camp scene, so I thought you meant the camping scenes from movie #7.  I didn't even remember that there is a campig scene in movie #4.

Yeah, the camp at the Quidditch world cup.

That's when Harry has the awful "I love magic line" when they set up the tent.

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I saw the fourth Harry Potter- Goblet of Fire. It was alright. 

Yes but the novel is Amazing. Actually amazing is insufficient to describe how great this novel is.

4 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

So how'd that conversation go? Was Moses a bit nervous having to ask for a second pair of tablets made after he broke the last set?

A) Moses didn't "break" the last set, he destroyed them deliberately, because of what the Hebrews had done; ie, turned away from God.

B) If you want to know how Moses felt, about it all, read Exodus.

Just now, Chen G. said:

I wouldn't know how to make such a comparison.

You make it seem like comparing a film to the book it's based on is a completely foreign concept?

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

They're works in two different mediums.

That's why comparing them is interesting.

Just now, Stefancos said:

You make it seem like comparing a film to the book it's based on is a completely foreign concept?

Not foreign, just misguided.

Its like comparing a car to ice-cream.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Yeah, the camp at the Quidditch world cup.

That's when Harry has the awful "I love magic line" when they set up the tent.

Hmm. It's bigger on the inside. Where have we all seen that, I wonder?

11/23/1963, perhaps?

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

It's not well known that there were originally 15 Commandments.

Copycat!

4 hours ago, Holko said:

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Even only certain letters crumbling, when we see from underneath none of them have any support is acceptable. But forced perspective is a very fickle thing, and as it's shown, doesn't work when the viewer moves. It only works when the subject viewing it has one eye, doesn't breathe, and is exactly the height the trick was designed for. Indy already fails the first of these criteria: he has spatial vision, he should see the bloody bridge! If it was spotless, dustless, perfect glass or a mirror or something, I'd accept that more easily than this.

I'm more "bothered" by the I/J puzzle. The reason why it's spelled "IEHOVA" is because there *is* no "J" in Latin.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Also, his past with Marian and her father is a bit shady.

I deny eveything!

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

GOF may be the best book, and OOTP is perhaps one of the weaker books...which is just the opposite of their movie counterparts.

POA, HBP and DH are the best of the books. OOTP is much better than its reputation.

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"IEHOVA" is because there *is* no "J" in Latin.

And because that's a more accurate transliteration of the biblical Hebrew name of God.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Rowling does steal from the best! ;)

You are not suggesting Tolkien. 

Harry Potter >>>>>>>>lotr. 

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

And because that's a more accurate transliteration of the biblical Hebrew name of God.

Irrelevant. The Romans didn't have a "J", so they didn't choose "IE-" over "JE-" for being more accurate or anything. "J" was never an option in Latin. If you make a puzzle with a "J", you're opening the possibility that you're not looking for the Latin spelling, so the conclusion doesn't make sense.

4 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

It sort of reminds me of when in one of the lesser Moore films (can't remember which one) Bond was referred to as the "famous secret agent".

Hence why Moore played Bond the way he did ... as he put it, what sort of 'undercover operative' worth his salt is known by his real name and reputation to hotel managers, bar staff etc? 

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The Romans didn't have a "J", so they didn't choose "IE-" over "JE-" for being more accurate or anything.

There's a 1:1 correlation between the Hebrew and Latin alphabet (being that they have a shared origin), so the spelling of the word is the result of how its spelled in Hebrew.

Latin doesn't have a J because ancient Hebrew (and modern Hebrew, for that matter) doesn't have that, either.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh, one more thing, Crusade has the only moment in the trilogy where I cannot suspend my disbelief: the Path of God.

As an atheist, I can say confidently that this moment is one of my favorites in film. 

As far as your question about not enjoying Temple of Doom: my big problem with it is how inconsistent the tone is. Last time I rewatched it I was shocked by fast the temple scenes went by: I wish there was more of that, because watching Indy bounce back from this stuff is so satisfying and just flatout badass, and having the temple be even more oppressive would make it all the more glorious. As a kid, the temple scenes seemed to last forever, and even though I was terrified, I was riveted. I want to watch the Temple of Doom from my childhood memories!

34 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

As an atheist

OK, the whole "Leap of Faith" aspect is great, but the reveal is where it breaks apart for me. Since it's a trick that can only work in-camera, not in-universe with human vision, it's basically a fourth wall break.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

OK, the whole "Leap of Faith" aspect is great, but the reveal is where it breaks apart for me. Since it's a trick that can only work in-camera, not in-universe with human vision, it's basically a fourth wall break.

Urgh, how dull.

16 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

The Leap of Faith bit is one of the best parts of that film.

And a manifestation of one of the thematic threads of the film, according to Steven Spielberg, at least.