What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

@Alexcremers, loving the top and bottom pictures.

Is the middle picture FIVE DAYS ONE SUMMER?

Whoops! (edit) I meant the first set of pictures. 

PLAYING BY HEART is a lovely film.

39 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And a rare one where he doesn't really play a tough guy.

He's not a tough guy in THE RUSSIA HOUSE. He was a fireman in TIME BANDITS. That's not tough.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

OK, the whole "Leap of Faith" aspect is great, but the reveal is where it breaks apart for me. Since it's a trick that can only work in-camera, not in-universe with human vision, it's basically a fourth wall break.

There could be more to it than just a matter of perspective. The path's perspective might shift for the viewer. At least it never seemed to me to be a matter of camera perspective only.

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There could be more to it than just a matter of perspective. The path's perspective might shift for the viewer. At least it never seemed to me to be a matter of camera perspective only.

I wanna say there's brief footage of the effect in the DVD documentary 

Jurassic Park III

Not a good entry into the franchise, but watchable. Fun score and neat seeing Grant in TLW. But so many bad ideas. Grant and Ellie not being together (she now lives in David Lynch universe), a random annoying family with a wasted William H. Macy, a giant duck dinosaur.

Jurassic World

This one I just can't get into. I like Gwen, the scene where the pterodactyls and bigger fish kill the cute lady and the pterodactyl being shot down from a helicopter, but that's about it.

7 hours ago, Richard said:

He's not a tough guy in THE RUSSIA HOUSE. He was a fireman in TIME BANDITS. That's not tough. Is the middle picture FIVE DAYS ONE SUMMER?

We're only just begun, Richard.

Yes, the middle one of the first set is from Five Days One Summer

1 hour ago, publicist said:

And who could forget his haunting turn as beaten down cop in Sidney Lumet's 'The Offence'. The scenes with his drab wife in his drab home will scare any Bond fan away.

the-offence-sean-connery.jpg

F***ing brilliant film.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The whole "kneel/word/leap of faith" thing should be seen from Henry's perspective. Ok, the execution of some of the effects was sub-par, but it's the urgency of the scenes, that get me. All the time IJ is trying to get to the Grail, his dad is dying (nice zoom-dolly, on Connery, btw), making the leap of faith not only necessary to get to the grail, but vital to save his father's life. 

As for the "letters": of course those who put the J there knew that Jehovah started with an I, in Latin. That's why they put it there.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

As for the "letters": of course those who put the J there knew that Jehovah started with an I, in Latin. That's why they put it there.

But if they wrote everything in Latin, why did they put a "J" there? Why not a "Ü" or a "@" or another letter completely unrelated to the language they were communicating in? And why did they expect anyone communicating in that language to make the mistake of writing a Latin word with a non-Latin letter?

Mind you, it doesn't seriously bother me. It's still possibly my favourite film in the series, or at least more or less tied with Raiders.

Saw the movie Revenge last night. It's a pretty typical feminist revenge plot: women gets raped, then seeks vengeance on her tormentors. There's a number of moments where the characters, primarily the female protagonist, defies logic in a way that feels contrived to amp up a setpiece, to mixed results: while the results are a "cooler" scene, I kept thinking, "Wait, why is she doing this?" Overall, would've been a pretty dumb and bland movie, but the direction and cinematography is absolutely beautiful. The film looks so crisp, vibrant, and natural, capturing the distinct beauty of a desert. There's a very cool, long, impressive one-shot that is probably going to make a lot of lists on film students.

revenge-1524749465.jpg?resize=480:*

The score was effective and cool, but it's starting to seem like a joke that "retro synthwave" type scores (pulsing synth bass with backbeat, that sort of thing) has become so prevalent.

POTC1.

I still really like it. Good plot, Keira Knightley is as good as ever, Depp mostly does his accent flawlessly and his character is quite likeable. Even though Jonathan Pryce had some great moments, he sounds exactly the same in everything I've seen him so far and Norrington's final scene really wasn't that credible this time. Oh, look, a post-credit scene!

It's very hard for me to be critical of this score. When I first heard it, I thought film scores couldn't get any better. I know better now, but still think the themes are very effective and the main theme, while receiving too much airtime (undoubtedly a consequence of an insane composing schedule), is extremely catchy. It's still nearly all in D minor, but at least it's not a dull score, unlike so many of Zimmer and co's more recent music. The end credits suite represents every theme nicely, but ends awkwardly.

The surround sound mix is a missed opportunity. Luckily, the low frequencies aren't too overbearing, but the fact remains that the rear channels are only used properly during the post-credit scene.

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I need to watch those again, hardly know anything about them anymore.

You could watch them again, you certainly dont need to watch them again. They're not that good.

12807490344_ba1bc060b9_b.jpg

Probably the perfect sunday afternoon movie, Billy Wilder's 'Witness for the Prosecution' gets by with it treatment of a musty old Agatha Christie play by subverting it, away from the creaky machinations of a courtroom whodunit to a Charles Laughton show, who, in tandem with his real-life wife Elsa Lanchester performs a comic pièce de résistance as grumpy barrister beleaguered by his nurse (the Lanchester role was invented by Wilder, so there). The movie offers all those clichés you'd expect from a court thriller set in Old Bailey, but directed  with a bemused extravagance that foreshadows the later 'Murder on the Orient Express' etc. (though it's a better movie by a long shot). 

I've watched the alternate cut of Deadpool 2 last night. Because I've not watched a Marvel film in a week!

There are more differences between this and theatrical version other than added footage. Some lines are different, as are music choices, and even some scenes. The film itself played better during the secomd viewing. It might be actually better than the first one.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I've watched the alternate cut of Deadpool 2 last night.

Hmm, I saw the normal cut. It kinda suffered from the 'more, bigger, louder' syndrome. After a while, it got a bit exhausting. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Hmm, I saw the normal cut. It kinda suffered from the 'more, bigger, louder' syndrome. After a while, it got a bit exhausting. 

I can understand this. And yes, this was my first impression as well. But after having re-watched it, the story of 2 is better. It has more value from a character-building perspective. And yes, the "downside" of this is that they need to double up on the silliness too. It either works or it doesn't. It's a comedy after all.

Karol

Say someone was planning a Halloween horror marathon along the lines of '30s Universal, '50s Hammer, American Werewolf in London, Little Shop of Horrors, Evil Dead... so not too serious or particularly agitating. What would be some perhaps oft-forgotten, but great classics or cult classics that must make it onto such a list if it had only 22 movies on it out of the possible 31?

DRACULA/DRACULA A.D. 1972 (Hammer), FRANKENSTEIN/BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE WOLF MAN (Universal), THE MURDERS OF THE RUE MORGUE any of the Dennis Wheatley films, HOLOCAUST 2000.

If you want to push the boat out...TENEBRAE, SUSPIRIA, and PHANTASM.

Not a horror film, but... check out an amazing film with Toby Jones, called BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO. 

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Probably the perfect sunday afternoon movie, Billy Wilder's 'Witness for the Prosecution' gets by with it treatment of a musty old Agatha Christie play by subverting it, away from the creaky machinations of a courtroom whodunit to a Charles Laughton show, who, in tandem with his real-life wife Elsa Lanchester performs a comic pièce de résistance as grumpy barrister beleaguered by his nurse (the Lanchester role was invented by Wilder, so there). The movie offers all those clichés you'd expect from a court thriller set in Old Bailey, but directed  with a bemused extravagance that foreshadows the later 'Murder on the Orient Express' etc. (though it's a better movie by a long shot). 

Where did you watch it? You wouldn't have happened to find a decent Blu release that's available in these parts?

*slaps forehead* How the hell did I forget that one?

@Richard, please forgive my complete ignorance in the matter, but... Which Murders in the Rue Morgue? 32, 71, 86?

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Where did you watch it? You wouldn't have happened to find a decent Blu release that's available in these parts?

Have an old recording from the MGM channel, but there is a Blu Ray release, too: https://www.amazon.de/Zeugin-Anklage-Limited-Digipack-Blu-ray/dp/B0761PCBTR

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

That seems to be quite new, probably didn't exist last time I looked. On the list it goes!

The House Bunny.

Uh, yeah, okay, so I turned it off after finishing the interesting Wikipedia article on fraternities and sororities. The only good thing about this movie seems to be Emma Stone. Anna Faris's character turned out to be an ordeal my patience couldn't cope with.

The very few score cues are nice.