What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Now begins the greater sailing to uncharted waters...

The Wolf Man (1941)

The closest I ever got to seeing this was in Beethoven... The dog movie.

And it's pretty good! Chaney is great, even if the makeup is hokey, Rains is great, Lugosi was a nice surprise and is memorable with his tiny screentime. Score's quite good and atmospheric as well.

13 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Out of Time

Fairly light cop thriller with Denzel being a bit shady, but still likeable.

Hey someone else has seen this movie! I used to really like it at the time but honestly don’t remember any of it now. 

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Hey someone else has seen this movie! I used to really like it at the time but honestly don’t remember any of it now. 

Same! My papa has always been a big fan of Denzel Washington, so this was one of the few DVDs we had in the house (he's one of those people who will or will not watch a movie based entirely on the actor--I tried watching Naked Gun with him when visiting him in August, but he told me to shut it off when he saw OJ Simpson!)

Jaws on Blu-ray, for the first time. Like seeing the film for the first time. Only trouble is I've rewatched 2  & 3 this year so it sort of taints the original. Amazed at the quality, personally. Little things still impress such as how on the beach, every time someone walks in front of Brody, the camera angle zooms in or the first sighting of the shark past the Orca and Williams' music. 

Watched the docu- "The Shark Is Still Working" after. Made me, if anything, realise just how big the fandom is and also what a loss Scheider was. He'll always be Frank Murphy ahead of any other role. 

A decade jump, but still staying with Universal.

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

Good. Standout bits are the creature's design and sound, the location (refreshing to see waters and trees after so many rocky, foggy studio sets), and the underwater photography. Really disliked the constant end-of-the-world stingers whenever the Creature came onscreen.

It's kind of sad to leave the classic era, Karloff and Lugosi behind, but I'm looking forward to all the possible goodness that lies ahead: Hammer and Price coming up!

21 minutes ago, publicist said:

my_fair_lady_1964_french_original_film_a

Any good? ;) 

On 10/5/2018 at 10:26 PM, Nick Parker said:

I thought the ending was absolutely what it needed to be. Honestly, the only big complaint I have with the movie is Oscar Isaac's demeanor. It just felt Garland thought, "Oh man, this movie's heady! I don't want everyone to think I'm up my own ass, I better write this character to be relatable to the general audience!" I see how this could be a "disarming" tactic on Garland's part, but it didn't work for me.

Relatable? He seems more like a terminal stage Elon Musk type of guy to me. Which isn't to say that I have a problem with that. Rich reclusive wunderkind sociopath is probably the most plausible premise for the film's setting - and not so far from some real people in the field.

On 10/6/2018 at 8:24 AM, Alexcremers said:

I enjoyed Ex Machina but the ending was a bit B movie-ish. Why did Oscar Isaac forget to build in Asimov's Three Laws Of Robotics?

He wanted to create a self-aware AI. I'm not up to date on modern AI research, but there is at least the possibility that in order to make a computer fully adaptive and self-aware, you have to give up the ability to put fixed directives into its code.

On 10/6/2018 at 11:32 AM, bollemanneke said:

Well, another point that struck me is that AVA didn't really come across as a human to me. You could really tell she was an AI the way she spoke, but I loved the moment she and the other robot started to interact.

But she wasn't meant to come across as human. Only as (potentially) self-aware. Vikander is great at conveying her character's artificiality.

I thought the score was a perfect fit for the film.

But Nathan said that this was far more complex than the Turing Test, and the TT is all about computers trying to be human, right?

PS: Anyone know what I'm suddenly getting e-mail notifications again Hope they stay around this time.

42 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But Nathan said that this was far more complex than the Turing Test, and the TT is all about computers trying to be human, right?

How Wikipedia puts it:

The Turing test, developed by Alan Turing in 1950, is a test of a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to, or indistinguishable from, that of a human. Turing proposed that a human evaluator would judge natural language conversations between a human and a machine designed to generate human-like responses.

That doesn't necessarily mean that a computer passing the test acts the same was as a human would act under normal conditions. It just means that within the context of the test, the evaluator cannot tell whether he is dealing with a human or a computer. Also note that in the original Turing test, the interaction only happens via a text channel not with speech any other form of audiovisual contact. So naturally the Ex Machina setup goes beyond that. As Nathan points out, his test is about you knowing that you are dealing with a machine, and trying to decide whether it has consciousness.

18 hours ago, Holko said:

A decade jump, but still staying with Universal.

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

Good. Standout bits are the creature's design and sound, the location (refreshing to see waters and trees after so many rocky, foggy studio sets), and the underwater photography. Really disliked the constant end-of-the-world stingers whenever the Creature came onscreen.

It's kind of sad to leave the classic era, Karloff and Lugosi behind, but I'm looking forward to all the possible goodness that lies ahead: Hammer and Price coming up!

Any good? ;) 

Hammer is a let down. The best part of Hammer and Amicus is Peter Cushing but Christopher Lee is just one of the most overrated actors. His voiceless Dracula is just Zzzzzzzzz sorry what was I saying? I fell asleep.

Aftermath

Interesting seeing Arnold in these dark and gritty dramas. Grim and humourless flick but he adds presence to it.

Breakfast at Tiffany's

I'm not even sure what this was about. I mean yeah, I can see why women like it, it has a lot of shopping, window browsing, strolling through the streets. Meh, did nothing for me. I liked the cat though.

2 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Aftermath

Interesting seeing Arnold in these dark and gritty dramas. Grim and humourless flick but he adds presence to it.

I hear the sequel is coming out, it's going to be called in the wake of.

MV5BZGJjYmIzZmQtNWE4Yy00ZGVmLWJkZGEtMzUz

The african 'Schindler's List', though one wishes for less Hollywood polish and more Spielberg (oh irony). It's an exciting story of swapping a couple of bottles of whiskey and a box of beer for human lives, an emotional thriller, with hope and despair always in close proximity. There are moments when you can grasp the dimension of what happened back then in Africa, but the film quickly cuts away from the humanitarian catastrophe, shying away from showing us what needs to be shown (a mass murder short of a million people). So it's a bit of a missed opportunity, the harrowing genocide is reduced to the few people who survived, dedicating them more time than the unquantifiable number of victims. Watch it for the scenes where Don Cheadle is forced to look at the insane hate crimes like that foggy road full of bloody bodies - few as they are.

Curse of Frankenstein (1957) (seen before)

Cushing and Urquhart are great, but that's about it. This Victor's a complete sociopath instead of an obsessed but good man, the monster's just a monster (when it's in it), it doesn't have Universal's hint (or grand dose) of German Expressionism, which is expected, but doesn't quite have the Hammer Gothic look yet, either, except maybe in general atmosphere. So what did it have to add to the story and perfect predecessors? Um... colour and gore?

43 minutes ago, publicist said:

MV5BZGJjYmIzZmQtNWE4Yy00ZGVmLWJkZGEtMzUz

The african 'Schindler's List', though one wishes for less Hollywood polish and more Spielberg (oh irony). It's an exciting story of swapping a couple of bottles of whiskey and a box of beer for human lives, an emotional thriller, with hope and despair always in close proximity. There are moments when you can grasp the dimension of what happened back then in Africa, but the film quickly cuts away from the humanitarian catastrophe, shying away from showing us what needs to be shown (a mass murder short of a million people). So it's a bit of a missed opportunity, the harrowing genocide is reduced to the few people who survived, dedicating them more time than the unquantifiable number of victims. Watch it for the scenes where Don Cheadle is forced to look at the insane hate crimes like that foggy road full of bloody bodies - few as they are.

SHOOTING DOGS is better - and it has John Hurt.

Highlander - Queen's Princes Of The Universe being on the radio a couple of days ago put me in the mood for this swashbuckling 80s action-fantasy again. 

It's utterly preposterous of course (not least in the casting of the very French Christopher Lambert as a Scot and the very Scottish Connery as an Egyptian/Spaniard), but that just adds to the fun really. And Clancy Brown is clearly having the time of his life as the villainous Kurgan.     

Solo: A Star Wars Story

That was alright. It had romance, action, adventure, levity, fun. Had a more Star Warsy feel than some of these other more self-important recent entries. And this is the one that bombed?! Who takes this shit so seriously anyway?

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Highlander - Queen's Princes Of The Universe being on the radio a couple of days ago put me in the mood for this swashbuckling 80s action-fantasy again. 

It's utterly preposterous of course (not least in the casting of the very French Christopher Lambert as a Scot and the very Scottish Connery as an Egyptian/Spaniard), but that just adds to the fun really. And Clancy Brown is clearly having the time of his life as the villainous Kurgan.     

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

An 80's classic in the best sense of the word!

And some of the best scene transitions ever!

Indeed not ... I had forgotten about the likes of Celia Imrie, Hugh Quarshie and 'Page 3 girl' Corinne Russell popping up in it. 

It was the days before digital trickery was available of course, so there's a certain charm to the likes of the animation effects and the fact that there was no real way to hide the wires that hoist Lambert into the air at the climax.   

The 2nd and 3rd films were fairly shoddy, if memory serves (I haven't bothered with any of the others). Also skipped the TV series when I realised network standards and practices weren't going to allow the decapitations to be shown.   

25 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Thinking about watching a film I've always somehow managed to miss, but friends keep recommending...Once Upon a Time in America.

Any thoughts?

Long (very much so), but positively epic, with Morricone doing his part in giving it a characteristic, haunting atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Thinking about watching a film I've always somehow managed to miss, but friends keep recommending...Once Upon a Time in America.

Didn't get around to see it, either. But its Sergio Leone - it can't be a bad film.