What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

And what about this?

David Cronenberg: "Stanley Kubrick was a 'commercially minded' film-maker who failed to understand the true nature of horror when he adapted the Stephen King cult classic The Shining."

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

How about Wes Anderson? He's pretty successful.

That's a good example. Though his work is still relatively small in scale and success to what Kubrick was doing. There's a reason he's a household name, even to the layman.

I don't think he was really after making a "true horror" flick. It felt more like he was using the genre and its tropes to explore different territory of his stylistic sensibilities. Pigeonholing it so adamantly into a singular genre probably does the film a disservice.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Was Kubrick trying to make a horror movie? I wonder.

I think that was the point, yes. Of course most of his movies weren't straight genre movies.

20 hours ago, Loert said:

The Ten Commandments (1956)

Had to set aside three evenings to watch this one, but it was definitely worth it in the end!

Reminds me of passover.

But I couldn't in good faith call it cinema: its just a very elaborate stageplay that just happened to have occured in front of a camera and microphones. Never have I begged a film for a close-up! Its all just wideshots, and it ultimately betrays the scope that the film is going for.

And that intro has to be the weirdest choice in cinema history.

53 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think Kubrick films are too weird for me. Beautifully made but very strange.

Enigmatic, I would say. And yes, I have that "issue" with Kubrick, as well; although outside of 2001 I don't mind it terribly.

49 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I like The Shining but I never thought it was frightening. Could it that horror is almost as subjective as comedy?

Horror is considered the second most subjective genre. But its generally accepted that The Shining isn't scary. What it has got in spades is atmosphere.

Yea, I agree. It's "scary" in the sense of how alien and unfamiliar the images being thrown at us are. Which, at the time of its release, must have been even more provocative than it might seem now.

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

I know Stephen King had quite a few problems with Kubrick’s adaptation.

I think Stephen King's biggest problem with the adaptation is that Jack Torrance is already crazy from the beginning, which to him took away from the drama.

However, I've seen King's approved adaptation, a TV movie, and it was terrible.

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Intermittently brilliant storyteller of course, but I don't think he's actually that good of a writer.  That's probably why the best movies based on his books are ALL better than the books they're based on.

I agree with Disco Stu

48 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That's because Stephen King is a moron

How dare you, in my best Picard. Your opinion of King is clearly that of a dullard which up until now was not what how ai saw you. The man is simply  the greatest horror writer of any age and America's greatest local color writer period.

14 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I think Stephen King's biggest problem with the adaptation is that Jack Torrance is already crazy from the beginning, which to him took away from the drama.

Yo do not ever seem to get King's issue? King's problem with the piss poor adaption is that Jack is lured and manipulated only for his authority over Danny, and is otherwise only a tool. Kubrick's inability to comprhend the heat cold metaphor is laughable. 

One thing is certain the upcoming Dr. Sleep is not a sequel to any film because retard kubrick killed off the hero of the Shining (in the novel) who is quite alive in It and Dr. SLEEP.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

To be called a dullard by Joe is a true privilege.  I am humbled.

Dont be. I wanted to be TGP nasty but pulled back

12 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Yo do not ever seem to get King's issue?

I don't know what you mean. If the lack of character development was something King had a huge issue with, then why do you say that I don't get it?

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's why you haven't put him on ignore yet. You love his compliments. 

27 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Not really. He looks mostly like an average guy and speaks reservedly and politely to the manager, to Wendy, and to Danny at least a third into the film before he actually goes crazy. There is a (very short) transformation period in the movie, starting with Jack’s outburst at Wendy when he’s at his typewriter. You could argue the hotel took hold of him quicker in Kubrick’s adaption, which was probably necessary for times’ sake. 

27 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Agreed!

Just now, John said:

Not really. He looks mostly like an average guy and speaks reservedly and politely to the manager, to Wendy, and to Danny at least a third into the film before he actually goes crazy. There is a (very short) transformation period in the movie, starting with Jack’s outburst at Wendy when he’s at his typewriter. You could argue the hotel took hold of him quicker in Kubrick’s adaption, which was probably necessary for times’ sake. 

He talks polite but he's already nuts. It's due to Jack Nicholson's persona. I don't mind it but King sees it as a major fault. 

I truly believe its Kubrick's and the studio's desire to feature hot star Jack who is just a parody in the film that diminishes it. It always pisses folks off when I criticize Jack but no one ever argues in favor of poor Shelly. Kubrick bullied that poor girl and never gay a natural performance in the film

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I dunno, doesnt scary make you wanna look away from the screen, rather than draw you closer to it, which is what suspense does. IMO.

As I've said before, it's the editing that made it scary for me. I haven't seen it in a long time, but the long drawn out moments before the cuts are what makes me want to look away from the screen.

49 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Fourth place? Not bad for a movie that isn't considered scary:

https://www.nme.com/blogs/the-movies-blog/the-25-scariest-horror-films-of-all-time-2098907

Garhage list. Probably compiled by millennials 

Blair Witch, the badabook scary. Zzzzzzzzzz

Some films belong others more be forgotten.  Saw....pure trash. Torture horror is among the lowest

26 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Awful publication. 

Not the point.

54 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Garhage list. Probably compiled by millennials 

Not the point.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

My guess is you figured you were dropping a bomb here by saying The Shining isnt scary, and now that others agree with that you are trying to proof them wrong.

Typical Cremers tactics.

As always, you are completely clueless. 

I'm merely wondering if the so-called consensus is what you people say it is.

Number 2 in this list, folks:

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/scariest-movies-all-time/the-shining

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Coming from you, that's a compliment, my friend.

Well, not really original, but at least you gave it your own touch ...

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) (seen before)

An absolute pleasure. Curry is a delight in everything he's in, Sarandon's quite the cutie, O'Brien is a hoot in every frame he's in, the music's great, and it's also damn funny at times.

6 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, not really original, but at least you gave it your own touch ...

Now you're getting nasty!

Disappointed your attempt at snobbery failed? Oh well. We can't win every time, Alexandre.

18 minutes ago, Holko said:

An absolute pleasure. Curry is a delight in everything he's in, Sarandon's quite the cutie, O'Brien is a hoot in every frame he's in, the music's great, and it's also damn funny at times.

And Riff Raff looks just like 1970's Brian Eno!

hqdefault.jpg

tumblr_njosbdhQ2t1st208eo1_1280.png

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Now you're getting nasty!

Disappointed your attempt at snobbery failed? Oh well. We can't win every time, Alexandre.

I'm only disappointed with you, Steef. Seeing snobbery where there is none. Really, who is the nasty one here? You reap what you sow.

57 minutes ago, Holko said:

Glad you liked it, 'cause I think this movie's so obnoxious, I don't enjoy its cult status at all! Get this crap out of the way, put Forbidden Zone in its place, and we're good!

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I love Tim Curry. It’s so sad to see him wheelchair bound these days.

Oh he's a superb talent. My favorite performance of his is probably in Clue...although if you want him in camp, skip Rocky Horror and watch scenes from Command and Conquer! 

@Chen G. You liked my post, are you a Forbidden Zone fan?

Call Me By Your Name

Borrrrrrrrring! I mean who the fuck are these people? They just lounge around, staring at ceilings, and when they're not doing that, they're sun baking, riding bikes, rooting anything that breathes, and whatever. I was tempted to switch it off but mum was like "oh no, I like the scenery in this movie", so I had to persevere.

5 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Call Me By Your Name

Borrrrrrrrring! I mean who the fuck are these people? They just lounge around, staring at ceilings, and when they're not doing that, they're sun baking, riding bikes, rooting anything that breathes, and whatever. I was tempted to switch it off but mum was like "oh no, I like the scenery in this movie", so I had to persevere.

That gay thing? I checked the score in vain hope of a swooning romance, but alas...

5 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Call Me By Your Name

I want to see it because it's written by James Ivory.