What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

6 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Call Me By Your Name

Borrrrrrrrring! I mean who the fuck are these people? They just lounge around, staring at ceilings, and when they're not doing that, they're sun baking, riding bikes, rooting anything that breathes, and whatever. I was tempted to switch it off but mum was like "oh no, I like the scenery in this movie", so I had to persevere.

I surprisingly really enjoyed that film. Beautifully shot, and swoons on the laissez-faire attitude and heartache of a summer romance.

It might not feature a classic Robbins score, but it has the Ivory touch of class with Guadagino's more youthful language.

The People That Time Forgot (1977)

Ended up putting this thing on as a pallet cleansing B-adventure romp, and to hear some J. Scott music. Notable for two aspects:

Related image

Related image

Because of these two aspects, twas a very easy viewing indeed.

6 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Call Me By Your Name

Borrrrrrrrring! I mean who the fuck are these people? They just lounge around, staring at ceilings, and when they're not doing that, they're sun baking, riding bikes, rooting anything that breathes, and whatever. I was tempted to switch it off but mum was like "oh no, I like the scenery in this movie", so I had to persevere.

What kind of "scenery" was your mum talking about? :lol:

54 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I want to see it because it's written by James Ivory.

Not everything that has James Ivory's name attached to it, is good.

SURVIVING PICASSO? JEFFERSON IN PARIS?

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The genre semantics talk over the last couple of pages is sooooo boring. Whatever happened to this thread? (once the greatest on all of JWFan) 

In the wake of Bloodboal's passing...:(

44 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

In the wake of Bloodboal's passing...:(

He just went for a pack of cigarettes! He’s coming back!!

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

He went out for pizza...and then he went to Canada.

If it’s weed he’s after surely the pizza would come after?

4 hours ago, Richard said:

He went out for pizza...and then he went to Canada.

He's hiding at my place, till further notice.

Dracula (1979)

No, I don't understand how I'm not getting tired of all the Draculas, either, but there's only one more left towards the end.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:28 PM, Holko said:

I would have loved to see more of the Count Dracula instead of the Vampire Monster Dracula - moving around his castle, conversing with people, being a man as well as a beast.

Well I certainly got that with Langella. I quite liked it overall, we see Dracula being more civilised and human, seducing and hypnotising women instead of immediately sneaking up for the bite when they're asleep. A bit slow and dragging, no big standout performances, but the mood is right.

I don't see any problem with the grading, it fits and isn't obnoxious... *checks how it looked originally* Oh.  HOW ARE THERE NO UNION RULES AGAINST THIS? OK, the original is a bit overboard and messes with the atmosphere, but to make it unavailable and hide production design behind a wall of grey?

Score was pretty good.

It was fun to see Sylvester McCoy as a featured extra.

Langella trying to pronounce "magyar" and "székely" and implying there are major dialect differences between them is the most entertaining thing in the film.

Mina's vampire makeup genuinely creeped me out.

It's a pretty bad movie but I was glad I finally saw it to know the context for the Williams score

I too am curious to see it with its theatrical colors somehow

The trailer is probably the closest we'll get to it for a while barring cropped Laserdisc transfers, I found no available serious efforts of fan recolors besides some screenshots:

Meanwhile Team Negative 1 are planning to waste their time cleaning up a 4K scan of Raiders.

10 hours ago, Richard said:

I saw DRACULA, in its second week in London, at the Empire, Leicester Square. September, 1979. It looked absolutely lush! 

Isn't that the really big theatre with a humongous screen and ashtrays on the back of the seats? I've seen ROTJ there. Quality of the projection was amazing.

On 10/17/2018 at 4:35 PM, Alex said:

I think Kubrick films are too weird for me. Beautifully made but very strange.

Barry Lyndon and Lolita are quite normal. They're fucking depressing, but not weird. They're also underrated among his filmography, unlike The Shining and Full Metal Jacket.

2 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Barry Lyndon and Lolita are quite normal. They're fucking depressing, but not weird. They're also underrated among his filmography, unlike The Shining and Full Metal Jacket.

I’m looking forward to Barry Lyndon. I’m just waiting for the evenings to get a bit darker to sit down and watch so long a film. 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

It's a pretty bad movie but I was glad I finally saw it to know the context for the Williams score

I too am curious to see it with its theatrical colors somehow

Wait a minute, are you talking about Dracula '79?! Pretty bad???!!!

It's twice as good as Bram Stoker's Dracula and also one of the best movies that John Williams has scored.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Isn't that the really big theatre with a humongous screen and ashtrays on the back of the seats? I've seen ROTJ there. Quality of the projection was amazing.

ROTJ? Probably not. You may have seen it at either the Leicester Square Theatre, the Dominion Tottenham Court Road, or the Odeon Marble Arch, which is where it opened.

The Empire Leicester Square used to handle films released by Universal, Paramount, MGM, and UA, and not by Fox.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Don't forget Tahiti.

...in a Winnebago, with burgundy interior.

Some shots like the barge are quite grainy, but I guess they'll also have a DNR version of this, too, some CC could also help. But it's absolute heaven compared to the prvious "best" version, the upscaled, non-anamorphic, motion-smeared Laserdisc transfer.

TN1's DNR is very carefully and tastefully done. It still feels like film in motion, and still grainy but much less distracting.

bIqYCmR.jpg

VZK0uRK.jpg

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

How so? I see this from time to time and I don't know why.

Dracula 1979?  I thought it was boring.

Predestination

Woohoo! Now this is a good movie. It can get a bit confusing with all its time travel paradoxes, but whatever, the places it goes are pretty amazing. You'll have some big questions after the end though. Never a dull moment.

2 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Predestination

Woohoo! Now this is a good movie. It can get a bit confusing with all its time travel paradoxes, but whatever, the places it goes are pretty amazing. You'll have some big questions after the end though. Never a dull moment.

Cool movie!  Sarah Snook was incredible in it

I thought for sure she'd have a great career after that movie, but the only other thing I've seen her in was an episode of Black Mirror