What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It seems disturbing enough not to be featured in my horrorathon. What IS featured is...

Suspiria (1977)

Now, apart from the slightly underwhelming ending, this is about exactly what I hoped to get out of this month. Colour, style, atmosphere, Jessica Harper, awesome and characteristic score... loved it.

I do kinda regret watching the English dub instead of the Italian one, but Harper's voice!

Interstellar

Actually my first full watch. Snap this is one of those movies that doesn't make sense to me and yet still I cannot deny that it's a very well done movie. Zimmer's actually a god when you think about for these types of films, because no other score works as well with the movie as he makes it. While he may be ridiculed for his often simplistic work, I feel that it's so often fitting that it cancels out. Plus, Interstellar is the Zimmer score that is probably more diverse than most. The movie is pretty good, although not neccesarily my type. The first half takes a while to get me interested, but the next half picks things up. Great stuff, although Mc Connaughey needs to speak up. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

The scene on the water planet is fantastic filmmaking

Funny you mention it. When I was listening to the First Man score I read in the comments something like:

(Timestamp) There you have the Zimmer Horn of Death

I knew what they meant, but because I hardly listen to Zimmer I wanted to hear more examples because it's so darn effective and almost defines to me Zimmer's style. Well in Interstellar, the moment they see the tidal wave, I heard it. And I smiled. Inception is next on my list.

Seven years in Tibet.

Even though the summary had already revealed 90% of the plot, I found the first half quite interesting and its pacing was just perfect. But as the whole Dalai lama thing started, I found myself losing interest and the fact that everyone in Austria speaks English was news to me as well. The highlight of the second half was Heinrich's brief conversation with the Tibetan defector, but I won't be watching this one again.

I must admit I chose this movie hoping to discover another great John Williams score and because I love the concert suite, but this time I came home empty-handed. In Williams' defence, the score felt horribly chopped-up and it sounded as if whole chunks went entirely unused, but the music I heard was mostly relying on the themes. The final cue was my personal favourite, but the Debussy piece played by the music box was more moving than the score itself.

It tries to be a genre-leaping landmark like, say, 2001, but in the end, it settles firmly into action blockbuster territory.

It's undeniably ambitious filmmaking, though, and gorgeous to look at. Very much in the same vein as Spielberg's A.I.

Yeah, it disappears right up its own arse during that last hour or so. I've seen the 'reaching back through time and space' thing done more engagingly (and in roughly a quarter of Interstellar's running time) in Doctor Who. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

It's a fundamentally flawed movie but listening to Zimmer you'd think it was an incredible sci-fi masterpiece. 

I must say, Zimmer saved this movie. He gives it the sense of it being more than it is.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Funny you mention it. When I was listening to the First Man score I read in the comments something like:

(Timestamp) There you have the Zimmer Horn of Death

I knew what they meant, but because I hardly listen to Zimmer I wanted to hear more examples because it's so darn effective and almost defines to me Zimmer's style. Well in Interstellar, the moment they see the tidal wave, I heard it. And I smiled. Inception is next on my list.

The Inception BRAAMs have been overly misconstrued as being a real part of Zimmer's signature, thanks in large part to his poor imitators. Look to his use of minor thirds, Gorecki-esque passacaglias, melodramatic neo-classical cadences (think Bach/Mozart) and additive minimalist rhythmic structures as better defining characteristics of his style.

And yes, Zimmer's Interstellar is good stuff, and I'd say its better than the film it's written for.

17 minutes ago, KK said:

And yes, Zimmer's Interstellar is good stuff, and I'd say its better than the film it's written for.

This. Yet at the same time, it makes it hard to tell what I'm liking- the film, the score, the film because of the score, or all of it simultaneously. That's why it's a masterpiece.

While the theme is great, I'm liking this:

https://youtu.be/EaJHFxCYUjI?t=2m

As an organ enthusiast, this rocks!

Yesssss. The Interstellar appreciation is finally coming through!

16 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Barry Lyndon and Lolita are quite normal. They're fucking depressing, but not weird. They're also underrated among his filmography, unlike The Shining and Full Metal Jacket.

I actively disliked Lolita. Found it to be of a bygone era in terms of societal standards. I much prefer latter Kubrick, including the two you mentioned along with Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut. 

The film is alright. Strong first act, and abysmal final act. I like it for what it tries to do, though the execution is lacking.

The Strauss-ian sci-fi material is the best stuff in the score:

large_1Rj2F5MNyLaaUsS4UDCzhQLMiCC.jpg

Based on a real-life case in 1925, two great lawyers (Tracy vs. March) argue the case for and against a science teacher accused of the crime of teaching evolution (enraging the godly citizens of a small southern town). It's like all of those BIG TOPIC Stanley Kramer movies at times preachy and obvious but the cast is brilliant and guarantees theatrical perfection. The theme - intolerance and fanaticism over the democratic right of freedom of expression and free teaching - is as topical in Trump's America as it was then (if not more so). The trial about Darwin versus the Bible poses the question of whether the natural sciences disprove the wisdom of the holy bible which makes you LOL today but it's astounding how similar its features are to today's populist movements.

The duel between Tracy and March on the stand - apart from the melodramatic bollocks happening around them, or cardboard cynic Gene Kelly, who admittedly has some of the funniest bonmots ever put on celluloid - is breathtaking and credible and perfectly brings off the passionate seriousness with which America (then as now) fights against dogmatism and for its constitutional rights.

So? Do you hate a movie because the lead is a serial killer?

It seems that Koray doesn't want to respond to my question so I'll have to discuss it with you, Steef. 

Does a lead role always have to be morally perfect? 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So? Do you hate a movie because the lead is a serial killer?

It seems that Koray doesn't want to respond to my question so I'll have to discuss it with you, Steef. 

Does a lead role always have to be morally perfect? 

i never said that a lead character has to be morally perfect.

But I do think that in these times you wouldnt find a large audience willing to go along with Humbert Humbert, knowing what he is. 

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

i never said that a lead character has to be morally perfect.

But I do think that in these times you wouldnt find a large audience willing to go along with Humbert Humbert, knowing what he is. 

Was there ever a time in "modern" society where you'd find that?

Pedophilia is one of the great taboos of civilization: you'd have to dig your head real far up your brain to think that a lead character who is a serial killer is as culturally and morally unacceptable as a pedophile. 

It's comical that people in 2018 are outraged by James Mason being tragically obsessed and destroyed by a 14-year old lolita. The outrage is the whole point (is anyone too daft to get that, obvious as it is?), even though both movie and novel have the wisdom to treat it satirically.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

The outrage is the whole point (is anyone too daft to get that, obvious as it is?),

Apparently many JWfans are.

The Lyne version wasn't better than the Kubrick (it was made in 1997 if i remember right). Making it a dark comedy is probably your best guess.

@folks you know who you are: can you please stop dragging fucking Titanic in every discussion? It's seriously annoying.