What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

watched The Eagle Has Landed last night, the extended version. Great little film -the first Schifrin score I brought/listened to. Love Duvall in this film as well as Caine, Sutherland and Hagman. 

This is Mallory...I got the truck with a bazooka.

Truck? For crissakes! what does he want, a Silver Star?

Rewatching The Black Hole. Darkest Disney movie? I guess it's a certain point of view. Great score though. Yvetette Mimieux seemed to have a habit of needing rescuing in films and sometimes to a memorable score (i.e Time Machine). 

All the Money in the World

I started watching this having no prior knowledge of the Getty family and the kidnapping story. Not a bad yarn but felt a bit stale. If it's great Ridley Scott visuals you're after, look elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

If it's great Ridley Scott visuals you're after, look elsewhere.

I have been looking elsewhere, for many, many years. 

51Ka4HCkfbL.jpg

When their deeply religious mother dies, her seven children bury her in the garden and continue life as normal. Then their absent no-good father Charlie reappears just in time before they are discovered. He moves in and a twisted game for mother's possessions and the children's affection begins. The child actors deliver very natural convincing performances, but the movie is a bit uneven in its mix of tragedy and gothic thriller, i watched it mainly to hear Delerue's beautiful score in context and its gallic lilt adds a much needed fairy tale air. Still, it's not rightly forgotten today.

Escape Plan (2013)

These kind of action flicks are not really my cup of tea, but I had nothing else to do, and it was on the tube. (read:no motivation).

Okay as far as these things go.  Plot is thin, but Sly and Arnold are thick and Jim Caviezel is alright as a psychopath.  Sam Neil seems as lost and out of place as the doctor he plays.

Climax was somewhat effective.  Most of the acting was just tolerable.  Ending weak.   2/4 

5 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

It's still one of the best funny book movies. It also stands as a perfect time capsule for that era.

The movie screams 1990 to me every time. Great OST with exceptional dynamic range, both on CD and LP. In fact that LP scent always reminds me of this movie, and the cleaning chemicals my dad used on his vinyl collection. Daaaammmmn!

They obviously switched over to the stunt actor there, but it still looks good. Considering the suits were so clunky and you were dealing with subject matter of 6 foot mutant turtle ninjas, it's amazing they went to those efforts of selling their physical prowess rather than just Batman 1966'ing it all. There was no doubt those big ass turtles were ninjas.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Not sure if this counts as “older” film but I watched Nightcrawler (2014) with Jake Gyllenhaal and it was very good.

Normally, when there's a car chase or a shootout in a movie, it's totally habitual. But in this movie I thought "Fucking shit, is that really just happening?!", because it was so real and intense.

16 hours ago, Holko said:

Evil Dead (1981)

It was OK, I guess. The crazy camerawork and the tree rape stand out to me the most.

Evil Dead 2 was funnier. But ultimately I prefer the Evil Dead remake.

I, Tonya

Poor thing. Loveless mother with that "I did it tough so you deserve nothing" attitude, violent but oddly wimpy husband, and that really weird deluded fatso who thought he was a secret agent? Who the hell were these hillbilly weirdos?! Margot Robbie channels her Harley Quinn performance a bit with that accent, but otherwise she was oddly adorable in this, despite being a total rough-head!

4 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Evil Dead 2 was funnier. But ultimately I prefer the Evil Dead remake.

Evil Dead II is the best one by far for me. Then Evil Dead, the original. The special effects at the end of first movie are extremely lo-fi crude though, but everything else is still savage. 

Saw a film yesterday based on the novel Ghost Soldiers. The film was called The Great Raid about the rescue mission to bring home 500+ American POW's before the Japs slaughtered them. It wasn't a great film but it told the story fairly well. 

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Now this is what greatness looks like. Good concept, good writing, chilling atosphere when needed, some psychological stuff, a good but not overdone love thread, ASTONISHING makeup and prosthetics, a lot of very well done and integrated levity.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Now this is what greatness looks like. Good concept, good writing, chilling atosphere when needed, some psychological stuff, a good but not overdone love thread, ASTONISHING makeup and prosthetics, a lot of very well done and integrated levity.

The Howling is so much better. American WereBEAR would be a better title. The makeup in the Howling is so superior.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Oh i just did, funnily enough:

Did you like it?  I've never seen a single Bob Hope movie!

Earlier this year I watched Goldwyn's Soviet propaganda film The North Star, but I was only interested because of the Copland score.  Weird movie.