What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Last time i saw it i noticed how much "unsolicited" male attention Clarice recieves in the film.

Indeed.

Reinforced by the camera (from other characters POVs) staring at her, in close up, in just about every other scene. Subtle? Hell no. Effective? Hell yes.

32 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Indeed.

Reinforced by the camera (from other characters POVs) staring at her, in close up, in just about every other scene. Subtle? Hell no. Effective? Hell yes.

The guy at the airport!

On 11/4/2018 at 2:31 AM, Quintus said:

All these years later it's a movie which is almost quaintly dismissed and passively ignored, none less so it even being the movie which launched Shyamalan's career; but it's easy to forget how big of a hit the movie was, and just how profoundly impactful audiences found its raison d'être plot twist to be. Despite all that though, I never really thought it was all that great.

I do.

I disagree, however, that the plot twist is the film's raison d'être: this is so much more than a film with a twist at the end. Under its horror-movie shell, its just a beautiful drama about a man reconnecting with his wife after a traumatic event. Its expertly photographed, splendidly acted, well-scored by James Newton Howard, and just immensly affecting - which, at the end of the day, is all that any film can ever hope to be.

Commercially, too, think about what Shyamalan has achieved: he made older women go see a "horror movie", and made teenage boys go see a two-hour domestic drama. For that alone, he should be celebrated.

Its Shyamalan's best film - and this is coming from a huge fan of Signs.

***** out of *****.

I've watched two old but gold Stephen King classics on Halloween evening: first Misery, then Carrie. Seen them both for the umpteenth time but still enjoyed every minute. What fantastic performances by Kathy Bates, Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie! bowdown

6 hours ago, Maglorfin said:

I've watched two old but gold Stephen King classics on Halloween evening: first Misery, then Carrie. Seen them both for the umpteenth time but still enjoyed every minute. What fantastic performances by Kathy Bates, Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie! bowdown

King has a knack for writing strong female characters but when in the hands of true artists they transcend. 

3 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

The Fappening was the best one.

The Happening had a great central concept sabatoged by horrendous acting and directing. unbreakable was ehhh. 

5 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

The Happening had a great central concept sabatoged by horrendous acting and directing

That was actually deliberate but not everyone got it. 

It was never deliberate, it was just one of those totally misjudged helmings on the part of the director. It happens every now and then.

More recently, A Quiet Place shown much more successfully how to strike the right tone for that sort of thing, but still that wasn't a particularly great movie regardless. I dunno, maybe suspense movies featuring prolonged scenes of silence are just really hard to nail.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

No! Unbreakable is Shyamalan's best film.

Who's with me?!

Haven't seen it, but from what I've heard I believe you. The Sixth Sense has too many annoying horror effects which decrease the otherwise telling subtlety of the movie.

Yeah, I marvel at it when people describe it as a horror film.

The horror is just the veneer on top of a very, very good drama film. It can get a bit creepy and from memory there was a jump scare that really worked for me somewhere in it (namely because it wasn't a horror film up until then, so it caught me off-guard), but otherwise there's very little horror, and its not terribly scary.

Gran Torino

Anyone else just love the old bugger in this? I remember the rumour before it came out that it was supposed to be another Dirty Harry movie, which I think it might have worked if it had, but alas it's really its own thing. 

Highlander

My mum told me this was huge when it came out in 1986 and I was like "Really? This fucking thing is awful!" I remember being curious about it as a kid, because my parents had rented out Highlander 2, and I wondered why we hadn't watched the first one yet. Cut to 2018 and I now know I wasn't missing much.

Aw I love Psycho III. Very artsy cinematography and Perkins is a riot

Flags of Our Fathers

You know, Clint is a blunt sort of guy, and that comes out in his films he's directed. There's nothing really sappy here, just a straight story of what happened. It doesn't hit you over the head like Steven's big war flick, but Clint likes to haunt you in other ways.

10 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Aw I love Psycho III. Very artsy cinematography and Perkins is a riot

Flags of Our Fathers

You know, Clint is a blunt sort of guy, and that comes out in his films he's directed. There's nothing really sappy here, just a straight story of what happened. It doesn't hit you over the head like Steven's big war flick, but Clint likes to haunt you in other ways.

Letters From Iwo Jima is the good one in that twofer. 

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I've still never seen Psycho II, although I enjoy Goldsmith's soundtrack.  I'll remedy that... one day.

Its a great unnecessary sequel.

On 11/4/2018 at 10:01 PM, John said:

Really? I was surprised by how little the film relied on horror elements, and more on the genuine drama between the characters.

On 11/4/2018 at 11:05 PM, Chen G. said:

Yeah, I marvel at it when people describe it as a horror film.

The horror is just the veneer on top of a very, very good drama film. It can get a bit creepy and from memory there was a jump scare that really worked for me somewhere in it (namely because it wasn't a horror film up until then, so it caught me off-guard), but otherwise there's very little horror, and its not terribly scary.

I don't describe the film as horror film, but it has horror elements which are too blatant and slightly disturb the drama. It's the same problem with Black Swan.

MV5BNWVkMjA4MDgtNGY5OC00ZmViLWEwMGEtMzAy

Walter Matthau and Glenda Jackson are great in this, but leave it to Art Carney's senile-but-spiteful old chief physician to literally hit a home run every scene he's in. 

[At burial service] Throughout history, all great innovators were never really appreciated until they were dead. Your dead now Harry... an' we appreciate it!

'Harry & Tonto' probably was the best one. The Matthau thing isn't really a good movie (the script has great ingredients but throws them all away for sitcom-style vignettes) but it's one of those were the sheer professionalism and dedication of the actors sells it. Not possible today, you'd need a Harry Potter movie for so many royal character actors playing off each other.

The Hobbit, DOS.

Well, I have no idea what's going on with me today, but after having mildly disliked this film for five years, I must admit that I enjoyed it tonight. Perhaps I hated it so much because my first viewing took place in a cinema at an ungodly late hour after I just sat through the first film.
Tauriel is still terribly pointless, not to mention that stupid romance with that stupid dwarf, but Stephen Fry and Benedict Cumberbatch are great and Lee Pace never disappoints either. This one is much more varied than the previous entry, no repetitive battles or Azog obsessions and it's not needlessly long.

As for the score, I finally embraced it. It turned out that the key to appreciating it, for me, was to regard it as a work of art and not as a bunch of tracks I was determined to like. The Misty Mountains theme is completely gone, but it didn't annoy me this time. The Woodland realm material is fantastic, I love the Lake-town march... but still hate Ed Sheeran. It's bad enough that you can't turn on the radio without hearing insecure, suicidal men, and even worse when they are used right after an epic dragon battle. At least the Misty Mountains song was thematically appropriate and nicely performed, safe for the 'jah jah jah jahs'.

4 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

I liked the bit where Sally Hawkins was under water with him. Reminded me of another movie. No joke, this was an actual scene in the movie.

I don't do nuthin', fer nobody, fer nuthin'.

Yes, that bit is touching.

I also liked the shot of her in a wetsuit (even if it's inaccurate).

Elvis & Nixon

Well thank you very much, Mr President. It was an honour to see Kevin Spacey play the role of President Nixon with such grace and accuracy to his real life persona. And Michael Shannon might not necessarily look like The King, but he certainly pulls off the mannerisms real good. Maybe some day they'll make Kanye & Trump.