What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You wanna talk about Blade Runner?

22 minutes ago, publicist said:

Or The Duellists!

Or art!

56 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Incidentally, has anyone seen Bridge to Terabithia? I watched it recently with my two, it's such a wonderfully Spielbergian kids movie, with the quality almost to match his greatest successes in the genre.

The book was a big part of my childhood actually. I don't remember much from the film, but the story definitely has early Spielberg written all over it.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Is Raiders of the Lost Ark art, or an artfully made film?

I studied this movie in my cinema classes in college.

The Unborn 2 (1994)

Whenever it seems as though I might be in the process of making a new friend, I make a mental note to arrange it so they sit down and watch this movie with me, as a means to confirm as to whether they're able to handle my companionship. Sort of a rite of passage, if you will. I would also cherish if a potential love interest were to do the same. In either case, only those truly prepared for the Severin can truly grasp what a top-tier film this be. And no, rest assured, you don't need to watch the first one. 

Dangerous liaisons.

It was a bit of a mixed bag. Even though Glenn Close's intentions were predictable, I thoroughly enjoyed her character and performance, but I couldn't like John Malkovich and found that there was something terribly unreal about his character. His dramatic end was even more unrealistic. Also, I don't know that much about love in 18th-century Paris, but is it normal for a young woman to start laughing when she discovers that the man she's in bed with has also made love to her mother in the past? I also kept mixing up Glenn Close and Swoosie Kurtz in the beginning because they sound so alike, but find myself sympathising with Glenn Close more than anyone else.

The music was quite interesting. I was especially amazed during the passages that included baroque music that caused a suspenseful mood and one score cue in particular, the one that is repeated in the end credits, stood out: it goes from brooding drama to splendid romance and then back to drama in a mere matter of seconds.

No, I'm not. That was his school project (short movie). We never take those into account, Richard. If we did, then The Duellists never should have won the award for Best Debut Film at Cannes.

Dracula (1979)

I revisited old blow dried feathered hair Drac after my one play-through of the complete score. It was as I remembered. The score works well in the movie (I thought the film mix sounded better than the new 2CD), but it's not one I care to experience outside of that context.

I was always confused why there are a bunch of people on a catwalk, why Mina takes off alone into a cave on a violently stormy night, how Dracula blow dried his hair and why he turned into a flying cape at the end. I guess the sun isn't fatal.

These days, I'm mostly confused by the lack of color in the movie. The washed out colors and messed up black levels make this one hard to even look at. I'm surprised there's still color in the biting scene (AKA "love scene", though that's not what's actually happening). One particularly awful looking scene in Drac's house has colorless candle flames blending in with a spider web and the foreground. Technicolor be damned I guess.

This one is mostly serviceable. It feels like the 70s movies cinematic universe like King Kong or other tapes I watched as a child. The performances would be considered kinda stilted and obvious today, but there's a spectacle to it all. A big symphonic score helps.

Langella keeps it watchable with his ridiculous gaze and hammy deliveries. He doesn't go full Skeletor, but you can see the evolution of that legendary performance. There is one chillingly effective scene where Mina comes back from the grave and Van Helsing shows some emotion finally. It's the only rise the movie gets out of me.

Psycho 2 - many years since I last saw this ... as good a sequel to Hitchcock's classic as one could hope for, I'd say. Damn, Meg Tilly was cute as a button.

2 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

and why he turned into a flying cape at the end. I guess the sun isn't fatal.

Another american viewer unable to process ambiguities. No wonder they alway spell out every shit thrice in expositional scenes just to make sure.

4 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Dracula (1979)

I revisited old blow dried feathered hair Drac after my one play-through of the complete score. 

It's hair just like Drax's, but this was made in 1979.

Psycho (1998)

PSX_20181111_202555.jpg

I would say it's the most infamous remake ever, but it's just become too obscure with the passage of time. I know this is sacrilege. My affinity for the Psycho saga and Norman Bates is on record. I kinda love the remake. It's like splashing some creamer in your coffee. My time is running out, so fuck it. I'm coming out of the Psycho closet. 

I love most of the performances, although I'll be the first to admit that Norman as portrayed by Vince Vaughn remains an enigma. This would seem to be a glaring flaw. He's too imposing and weird, not boyish like Tony Perkins. Well, it's a different take and in this dreamy Technicolor wonderland, I'll accept him and his annoying giggle.

What transpires around him is a beautiful reenactment of Psycho. Color Sam Loomis is actually an improvement over the original. Let's face it, the original didn't have much of a character. Viggo's sort of sleazy charm actually makes him more like a real person. I like him.

It remains incredibly watchable and, no, not in a train wreck sort of way. It's a genuinely well made film, even if it's mostly a remake of the original perfection, with its own little nuances. I just can't take my eyes off that beautiful color imagery. Now...let me get my Walkman.

I suppose Viggo is a lot like Jeff Fahey in Psycho III. But his line mumbling epitomises the development in acting styles during that 35+ year timeframe. Realistic? Maybe. Annoying? Fuck yes.

And I'm still traumatised by seeing Norman jacking off (repeated in Bates Motel!). From then on, I couldn't help noticing that characters masturbating in movies suggests they're malicious deviants in nature and up to no good.

I want to see the remake of the Blob but its a difficult film to find these days.

8 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I want to see the remake of the Blob but its a difficult film to find these days.

Yeah the Twilight Time blu-ray sold out really fast. It was released on blu-ray in Australia last year.

Inception

Related image

Thrilling, riveting, and clutching. It's a Christopher Nolan extreme-science action film starring Leo DiCaprio and a slew of other folks. It's mind-boggling and insane. I don't really know if I've understood it yet, perhaps I never will, but when a film ends the way this one does, it sticks. Some might feel cheated, others awestruck, but I'm too numb as a result to really give an accurate description of what I just saw.

Spoiler

At the end I actually said to myself as the camera panned down back to the table- "Holy crap, don't tell me it's still spinning!!!"

A note on the score:

While I'm quite critically vocal on Hans Zimmer (all good things, it's in a joking sense), his scores are extremely effective in films, despite feeling uninspired and too eclectic when not paired with the movie. 

MV5BMTQ2OTE1Mjk0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODE3

Having never seen this before i have to admit it's pretty good for this kind of thing. The allusions to the rise and machinations of fascism are blatant - and spot on. There is a lot of darkness and dying here, and a bit of heartbreak (and some goofy stuff, too). I gave up on this series after the weak 'Half Blood Prince' and now i'm inclined to follow Amazon's suggestion for watching the whole finale.

But David Yates, he drained the colors, he killed the magic!

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

Having never seen this before i have to admit it's pretty good for this kind of thing. The allusions to the rise and machinations of fascism are blatant - and spot on. There is a lot of darkness and dying here, and a bit of heartbreak (and some goofy stuff, too). I gave up on this series after the weak 'Half Blood Prince' and now i'm inclined to follow Amazon's suggestion for watching the whole finale.

A very grey movie.

It's a Part 1 of the last bit of the story, so it's not entitled to make too many big steps. It's purpose is to act as a precursor to Deathly Hallows Part 2 and it succeeds in that regard. It's definitely not my favourite of those, but it passes.

28 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's much better than anyone would dare to admit, because it's from a big franchise and you wanna keep your authenticity, right? I think, it's even better than The Prisoner of Azkaban. You haven't seen 7.2 yet? Leave it to your imagination, how this franchise could have ended.

Why didn't you like The Half-Blood Prince?

HBP i saw years before and only faintly remember that it just boringly went about this one flashback they wanted to get and when it started moving, it was over - also, the whole love triangles seemed forced. The score didn't help.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

HBP i saw years before and only faintly remember that it just boringly went about this one flashback they wanted to get and when it started moving, it was over - also, the whole love triangles seemed forced. The score didn't help.

The score is simple as hell. You and I and everyone else could compose it in a week, but it serves the film quite well. Apart from the music I really like the sixth movie, because it's so reserved and like a silent preparation for the finale. The comedic parts (love triangles) are more blatant than in any other of the later movies, but it's no The Last Jedi gags. Overall, it's like DHP1, just not as good.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I love Deathly Hallows Part 1. Its so moody and it really lets the characters shine. I thought it nailed the first half of that book. 

Watch the deleted scenes of DHP1 - it's just additional character drawing to make the film even more authentic. This shows me that the focus was set on the most important aspect as it always should be.

Then watch the deleted scenes of DHP2 - a few more gags, a few more action sequences. I really don't know why there's such a big quality difference between the two movies. One of them feels more like an incredibly nuanced independant movie, the other is another much too well-known typical action blockbuster.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The score is simple as hell. You and I and everyone else could compose it in a week, but it serves the film quite well. Apart from the music I really like the sixth movie, because it's so reserved and like a silent preparation for the finale. The comedic parts (love triangles) are more blatant than in any other of the later movies, but it's no The Last Jedi gags. Overall, it's like DHP1, just not as good.

From a faraway memory: hated the Columbus movies and their broad mugging, lightning and effect work - nothing is left to the imagination, as if younger folk need that kind of didactics in fantasy movies (it would be much worse were it not for the job creation scheme for Shakespearean british thespians). The Cuaron was the first of the better ones, i liked the swift one with the tri-wizard cup, the next one with the battle in the ministry i found OK but a bit lacking (i read the book and the movie emphasized stuff i would have cut off), HBP i liked even less