What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Interstellar's score is highly effective in the film, but without the picture I have a hard time listening to it. 

Close Encounters has a wonderful in movie usage of its very theme. What's not to like?

9 minutes ago, TGP said:

Well played Joey, you got me.

As a true fan of the film and the conductor I expected nothing less. Cheers.

58 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Interstellar is a great movie that gets often bashed by wannabe critics.

Interstellar is an enormously flawed and sometimes silly movie which often gets hooped by its delusional fanboys with questionable taste. Regardless, I quite enjoyed the movie. 

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Interstellar is an enormously flawed and sometimes silly movie which often gets hooped by its delusional fanboys with questionable taste. Regardless, I quite enjoyed the movie. 

Nope. What I said.

Brundlefly, good to see you!

28 minutes ago, Quintus said:

which often gets hooped by its delusional fanboys with questionable taste.

See I reckon Inception suffers far more from this.  Many overzealous fans then and now tout it as some grand philosophical treatise when as aptly put earlier it is simply a heist film.

It’s interesting that it has this “you think you’re so cool and smart for liking this” reaction from people, when it’s the most nakedly sentimental and optimistic movie Nolan has ever made.  Incongruous to me just because usually that’s a reason for it to be uncool to like something.

I don't think Interstellar had much of a passionate, popular following outside of hardcore Nolanites anyway. That credit belongs to flicks Inception and The Dark Knight Rises .

As it's been said many times over the years, Interstellar is impressive in parts, and admirable in ambition but a flawed work as a whole. Still solid stuff, but CE3K, it ain't.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

That's putting it rather simply.

Nah. That's exactly what it is. Albeit, a very well-made, stylized heist film.

Addams Family Values

Probably one of the most underrated sequels of the 1990s. The first one was marginally amusing, but with Paul Rudnick writing this on his own, he delights in macabre and subversive humor. Christina Ricci and Joan Cusack are the main reasons to see this (especially Ricci's deadpan delivery), but the whole cast is winning especially Christopher Lloyd, Anjelica Huston, and the late Raul Julia. The movie is endlessly quotable and Marc Shaiman's score accentuates the humor nicely, especially the interpolations and deconstruction of Vic Mizzy's iconic theme.

6 hours ago, KK said:

I don't think Interstellar had much of a passionate, popular following outside of hardcore Nolanites anyway. That credit belongs to flicks Inception and The Dark Knight Rises .

As it's been said many times over the years, Interstellar is impressive in parts, and admirable in ambition but a flawed work as a whole. Still solid stuff, but CE3K, it ain't.

I thought Interstellar was seen as the 2001: ASO defeater?

8 hours ago, Chen G. said:

But woefully overpowering in the mix.

So is The Tree Of Life, that other so-called 2001: ASO defeater.

21 hours ago, publicist said:

Is that the movie where the kids go to the camp? 

The camp sequences are comedy gold. Christine Baranski doesn't get enough props for playing a goody-two-shoes counselor, because she and Peter McNichol play off well against Ricci and David Krumholtz.

And the Wednesday/Amanda rivalry is a hoot on its own.

Independence Day: Resurgence.

I guess it was as good as it could possibly be and I was definitely moved several times, but most of the women rather annoyed me, particularly Sela Ward and Charlotte Gainsbourg. I don't really like what they did to Bill Pullman's character either.

The score had great moments, but I wish they would have used the B section of David Arnold's main theme more and opening the end credits with his truly stunning symphonic suite made everything more jarring.

39 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Independence Day: Resurgence.

I guess it was as good as it could possibly be and I was definitely moved several times, but most of the women rather annoyed me, particularly Sela Ward and Charlotte Gainsbourg. I don't really like what they did to Bill Pullman's character either.

The score had great moments, but I wish they would have used the B section of David Arnold's main theme more and opening the end credits with his truly stunning symphonic suite made everything more jarring.

If there's one thing that will bring @Norma's Corpse back to this forum, it's this post.

Independence Day: Regurgitation. Didn't that come out the same year as that awful Ghostbusters movie? Which was more worse than everything? No wonder I ended up in a psychiatric facility. These were crimes of profit, not passion.

Ghostbusters 2016 was mediocre  but it was 1000 times better than ID2. 

Godzilla (1998)

PSX_20181207_191057.jpg

What did you see, old man? Tell me lies. Time flies. Close your eyes. Come with me, for I've never seen so many Sony Trinitrons. It's been one of my favorite movies since Memorial Day weekend 1998. I never understood why people hate it. It has Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno, arguably one of the most beloved pairings ever.

1 hour ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Godzilla (1998)

PSX_20181207_191057.jpg

What did you see, old man? Tell me lies. Time flies. Close your eyes. Come with me, for I've never seen so many Sony Trinitrons. It's been one of my favorite movies since Memorial Day weekend 1998. I never understood why people hate it. It has Matthew Broderick and Jean Reno, arguably one of the most beloved pairings ever.

Its just not the same without Drax!

Conan the Barbarian (1982)

Decided to have a look after loving the 12-track OST. I don't have any desire to revisit it or move on to Destroyer but at least I wasn't bored to tears by it after the save the princess plot starts an hour in. Entertainingly weird, Arnie is quite likeable even if he "curiously" only has a page or so of dialogue. The absolute highlight and I think the only really, really well done part is the score. There are times when it doesn't quite match the picture in mood, but since I have no plans of revisiting it, that only means better rounded cues and a possibly better listening experience on its own! Decided to start with the reecording.

Is Destroyer the movie better, worse or more of the same? Is Destroyer the score better, worse or more of the same?

When Harry Met Sally...

I mostly liked it, although the interludes of the other couples were pointless and Meg Ryan wasn't always that great, surprisingly, but of course entertaining enough. Bruno Kirby was hilarious and Billy Crystal made me laugh a few times as well, but I would have liked the final scene to be more romantic.

Most of the music was nice.

Psycho III

PSX_20181208_173627.jpg

Something is definitely amiss at the Bates Motel this time around. It looks and sounds good (Carter Burwell's theme is excellent), but it just doesn't come together. Something's missing. Well, if it doesn't gel...

It's still insanely watchable, of course. The guests in this one aren't very engaging. Duke is an asshole and even nuttier than Norman as it turns out, but at no point are you really interested in him, even when director Perkins throws in, I guess his idea of sex, which involves a babe rubbing a cigarette on her arm while Duke watches naked with wild saxophone music playing. Suicidal ex-nun Maureen is more boring than Algebra 2 and the religious stuff is a bit too heavy for me.

The standout is a woman hoping to get Norman busted, but she ends up unravelling a completely unnecessary murder mystery plot involving Mother and her sister, which was thankfully completely ignored in the wonderful Psycho IV.

My main issue with this one is Norman. I'm not sure Perkins really got what the character is all about at times, oddly. By this point, the audience knows Norman is a pretty likeable guy, but he blacks out and becomes Mother. This one gives him questionable, I suppose serial killer like traits, such as kissing the deceased ice box girl (murdered while taking a piss--this one's a bit too trashy, by the way) and using the same spoon he's stuffing birds with to spread peanut butter on his crackers.

The confrontation between Norman and Duke towards the end is where the movie really jumps the mine cart track, but Norman's retaliation is pretty damn satisfying. Psycho franchise murders are typically at their best when the characters really have it coming. The gratuitous killings of the babes in this one are akin to a slasher flick, which Psycho never was.

Watched another one of those bleak arsed American wilderness murder mystery films, Wind River, this one starring Jeremy Renner and someone who I could have sworn was one of those Olsen twins. Two very good performances and a decent story with a genuinely affecting tragi-catharsis by the end. Good film which doesn't ever take the piss, 3.5 out of 5.

Nj4o18N.jpg

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

She's the sister of the Olsen twins actually. But I'm sure you know that.

Literally no idea there was three of them. The Olsens aren't household names here mate.

57 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Die Hard - annual festive rewatch. As much fun as ever. 

Haven't seen it in years, but I finally got it on Blu-ray and have a Die Hard/Love Actually double feature scheduled for the 22nd. If you count at least some of the Potter films as well, Alan Rickman truly was the King of Christmas movies.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Die Hard - annual festive rewatch. As much fun as ever. 

Fuck yeah! The best Christmas film, EVER!!!

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

...Alan Rickman truly was the King of Christmas movies.

Marian, have you seen THE WINTER GUEST? That's good.

For me, TRULY MADLY DEEPLY is a Winter film.

FYI, it's the only film which Rickman directed. Both Law, and Thompson, excel.

SNOWCAKE is another good Winter film. It contains quite simply the best and most accurate portrayal of somebody with a condition along the ASD, that I've seen on film. Weaver is magnificent.