What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 1/9/2019 at 6:36 AM, Richard said:

It sounds like Nolan cocked it up. Did he honestly think that could emulate Kubrick? Kubrick?

Kubrick is overrated 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Kubrick was ten times more innovative than Nolan.

Did I write ten? I meant a hundred!

Nolal doesn't have to be compared directly to Kubrick. They are both legitimately unique film directors with many beloved films. I think both are overrated but I cannot deny each has made a mark in cinema.

Image result for churchill movie end scene beach

CHURCHILL

After watching 2017's Darkest Hour and enjoying it quite very much, both for the performances and the film in general, this other Winston Churchill biopic of the same year had quite a task ahead of itself to climb up there with one of my favourite movies of last year, which was indeed Darkest Hour. The crown jewel of Darkest Hour, as would be expected, was the lead performance of Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill. The film Churchill, required nothing less. Brian Cox portays the British prime minister in the days leading up to Operation Overlord, a plan which he cannot abide with after facing similar terrors himself in the first World War.  Cox is absolutely brilliant. Churchill seems to be a difficult role to play, but the two attempts I have seen have been nothing short of spectacular. The drama of the first half is much more engaging than in the second half, which has a slight drag, although it goes relatively unnoticed and isn't a large problem. Miranda Richardson plays Clemmie, Winston's wife, who bears the brunt of everything he faces and arguably has a more difficult position than Winston himself. John Slattery and Julian Wadham play Eisenhower and General Monty, two leaders who oppose Churchill in his tactics. 

Really, the stars of this film are the actors. There are quiet a few nice sets, such as the war rooms, but nothing that I personally hadn't already tasted in Darkest Hour. When it comes to putting the two films up against each other, I'd say that I though Cox's performance was the better Churchill, although I enjoyed Oldman's more. I preferred Darkest Hour as a film, although Churchill held a bit more gravitas to which I could grasp. The scores? I definitely enjoy Dario Marianelli's Darkest Hour, over Lorne Balfe's Churchill.

RATING: **** out of *****

CONSENSUAL STATEMENT: "Top-notch acting and an intriguing story that captures Churchill's opposition to the D-Day attacks" -Jerry  

2 hours ago, John said:

How is Kubrick overrated?

I start at the mess called the Shining, a remarkably inept adaptation of a great horror novel. I know you and others here love it. I know many like me who don't. I nearly walked out on it in 1980. I have never cared for 2001 though I have seen it multiple times thanks to school. I have nothing negative to say about Dr. Strangelove. A Clockwork Oranges is a hot mess, next to Stranglove my favorite. Spartacus is a homoerotic film that is epic in scope but never captures my love. Kirk Douglas is just wooden. I dont care for his final two (or three if you include A.I).

Just now, Stefancos said:

"Kubrick is for film lovers, Joe. You're more into movies" - Alexcremers.

Is this something you think I said? 

I don't care for Spartacus either, but I do love 2001: ASO and Eyes Wide Shut, but, and I mentioned this the other day, they are director's movies, and therefore need to be approached in a different way than let's say most other movies. - Alexcremers

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

"Kubrick is for film lovers, Joe. You're more into movies" - Alexcremers.

What utter tripe Stefan

I am a film lover far more than many here. 

I probably one of this sites biggest b movie fans and obviously a lover of older films, especially black and white. If old is a genre then that is my favorite. 

6 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Image result for churchill movie end scene beach

CHURCHILL

After watching 2017's Darkest Hour and enjoying it quite very much, both for the performances and the film in general, this other Winston Churchill biopic of the same year had quite a task ahead of itself to climb up there with one of my favourite movies of last year, which was indeed Darkest Hour. The crown jewel of Darkest Hour, as would be expected, was the lead performance of Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill. The film Churchill, required nothing less. Brian Cox portays the British prime minister in the days leading up to Operation Overlord, a plan which he cannot abide with after facing similar terrors himself in the first World War.  Cox is absolutely brilliant. Churchill seems to be a difficult role to play, but the two attempts I have seen have been nothing short of spectacular. The drama of the first half is much more engaging than in the second half, which has a slight drag, although it goes relatively unnoticed and isn't a large problem. Miranda Richardson plays Clemmie, Winston's wife, who bears the brunt of everything he faces and arguably has a more difficult position than Winston himself. John Slattery and Julian Wadham play Eisenhower and General Monty, two leaders who oppose Churchill in his tactics. 

Really, the stars of this film are the actors. There are quiet a few nice sets, such as the war rooms, but nothing that I personally hadn't already tasted in Darkest Hour. When it comes to putting the two films up against each other, I'd say that I though Cox's performance was the better Churchill, although I enjoyed Oldman's more. I preferred Darkest Hour as a film, although Churchill held a bit more gravitas to which I could grasp. The scores? I definitely enjoy Dario Marianelli's Darkest Hour, over Lorne Balfe's Churchill.

RATING: **** out of *****

CONSENSUAL STATEMENT: "Top-notch acting and an intriguing story that captures Churchill's opposition to the D-Day attacks" -Jerry  

Are there any Daleks, in it?

Superman II.

Pretty good. I love these movies with villains that make you laugh and don't overdo the drama. I'm only not sure we needed the whole flashback at the beginning and for some weird reason, the voices of Margot Kidder and Gene Hackman didn't sound like how I remembered them at all, maybe because I watched the first movie a year ago, and the way Superman just got his powers back after shouting a bit wasn't really convincing either.

The score was mostly excellent. This is what sequel scores should always sound like. I loved how the reprise of the love theme played over footage of Lois and Clark's first meeting, but Lex Luthor's theme should have been used during that opening sequence too. I would also have liked Lois and Clark to have flown a bit more for musical reasons, the second half featured a number of important scenes that were unfortunately not scored at all, and although the sound mix was quite dynamic, the whole score badly needs a re-recording.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:07 PM, JoeinAR said:

I start at the mess called the Shining ... A Clockwork Oranges is a hot mess ... 

What do people generally mean when they say "this movie is a mess"? A movie that is all over the place? Unfocused? Poor direction? 

Good call, my young padawan!

@JoeinAR, you need to be a little clearer, with what you mean, by "a mess". What some people call "unfocused", others call "esoteric". What some people call "poor direction", others call "innovative".

By and large, good ole Stan is a director whose work astounds, and infuriates, in equal measure.

By all means, criticise his films, but if you don't want to get a red hot poker up your ass, it's best not to go around calling the films of Stanley Kubrick (Stanley fucking Kubrick!) "a mess".

Just so's you know.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

People say JWFan Lite is healthier for posters, but its alternative ingredients are actually worse for you than plain JWFan.

JW Fan Lite was made without steroids or hormones, but it does average blander posts than the plain JW Fan.

Gone Girl

41xNMpj9IgL.jpg

This film is told to perfection by Fincher, and even though Affleck is a lightweight actor, he's perfect for the role. Rosamund Pike is scarily good. For now, I would say it's better than The Social Network or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. 8/10

tumblr_ngg1snFV531qf2zyko2_500.gif

Good film, scary woman.

7 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

It feels so surreal that it's taken me this long to watch this, but it's surpassed any expectations I had. 

Well, I guess you didn't have any.

;)

Inherent Vice

Third attempt to watch it to the end, but no dice. I just don't like it.

Inherent-Vice-The-Last-Supper-700x376.jp

So I still haven't seen 'The Last Supper' scene ... Ah, well ...

23 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Gone Girl

41xNMpj9IgL.jpg

This film is told to perfection by Fincher, and even though Affleck is a lightweight actor, he's perfect for the role. Rosamund Pike is scarily good. For now, I would say it's better than The Social Network or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. 8/10

tumblr_ngg1snFV531qf2zyko2_500.gif

I remember Empire's review saying that its depiction of marriage as a bleak prison was unusual outside of 'indie' dramas. I rather liked that.     

Watching the wonderfully awful night of the lepus. We've had giant spider movies giant praying mantises giant ants and this one giant rabbits tha tha tha That's all folks!

12 Angry Men (1957)

I liked it, even if it felt a bit stagy at times. Good script and performances, though I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the 5th highest rated film on IMDb. Do people really think it's that good?

*** and 1/2 out of *****

28 minutes ago, John said:

12 Angry Men (1957)

I liked it, even if it felt a bit stagy at times. Good script and performances, though I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed by the 5th highest rated film on IMDb. Do people really think it's that good?

I only watched that last year for the first time myself. I was expecting much, but it exceeded my expectations. I'm not put off by the high ranking.