What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's one of my absolute favorite films...this is exactly the movie I think of when Hitchcock made commented about films being confined to the proscenium (not surprising given its stage history), but it's so compelling to watch that I don't care. I've watched so many times since I was a teenager, and am never bored by watching one man battle in an underdog struggle to convince eleven strangers that a simple, typical case of a kid on the wrong side of town, might be anything but.

I thought the film was unscored outside of the bookends, but there are actually a couple moments where unfortunately neglected Kenyon Hopkins sneaks through and provides some effective music that speaks to the rising ideological stakes of the deliberation. 

The Trump mentions in every movie review was just to take the piss out of publicist, who seems to find a way to namedrop Trump in his movie reviews for whatever reason, whether it's for clicks or likes or just to seem like he's being topical.

3 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Has anyone else seen Downsizing? I liked it a lot but it got appaling reviews.

No, I haven't, even though it's an Alexander Payne movie. I guess I just don't like the basic idea of shrinking people. 

MV5BYjE2YTBjMTUtYzllMy00NTVhLWI4YmEtOWE2

Ant-Man_screenshot_27.jpg

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

No, I haven't, even though it's an Alexander Payne movie. I guess I just don't like the basic idea of shrinking people. 

MV5BYjE2YTBjMTUtYzllMy00NTVhLWI4YmEtOWE2

Ant-Man_screenshot_27.jpg

So, Alex; no love for THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, INNERSPACE, FANTASTIC VOYAGE?

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Don't laugh with the femininity of Dynamic Range!

On 11/29/2018 at 11:06 PM, Alexcremers said:

They say every person has a male and female side. Drax is about manliness, huge monsters destroying everything, immoral leadership and Trinitron TVs. Dynamic is about femininity, Always, Titanic, eternal love and Trinitron TVs. Then there's El Jefe ....

Fascinating...

Conceptually, this film should have worked. And there's a lot of the individual components I actually like about it. But it's just...doesn't. Perhaps it's too high concept for its own good?

Bit worried because I'm seeing Glass in about an hour...

Karol

My experience with Split - 'McAvoy is excellent, but why have superpowers appeared in a horror-thriller about a dude with Multiple Personality Disorder? BAH, they don't fit and I'm pissed off now.

*Willis cameo at the end*

Oh, so it's a belated semi-sequel to Unbreakable? Meh, that revelation came far too late. I'm still pissed off'.

Consequently not sure I can be bothered with Glass.

8 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Has anyone else seen Downsizing? I liked it a lot but it got appaling reviews.

I enjoyed it very much. Goes well beyond its core premise and concept

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

...why have superpowers appeared in a horror-thriller about a dude with Multiple Personality Disorder?

Thank you, Sweep! Thank you for calling it "MPD" (aka Dissociative PD) and for not calling it "split personality"! 

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Give it a try! It'll surprise you.

2 hours ago, Romão said:

I enjoyed it very much. Goes well beyond its core premise and concept

Exactly. I think that's why people didn't like it that much. They were expecting something else considering the concept.

That's why you should watch it, Alex!

Molly's Game

Oh boy, I reckon Jessica Chastain's cleavage should have got top billing. Enormous bongos on that sleek figure of hers. Compelling film, but no-one ever talks with such rapid fire precision that this Sorkin bloke seems to think.

Isle of Dogs

Cute, eccentric and imaginative! Didn't like the anti-cat stuff though.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

Give it a try! It'll surprise you.

Exactly. I think that's why people didn't like it that much. They were expecting something else considering the concept.

That's why you should watch it, Alex!

Sooner or later it will be on Netflix and that's when I will watch it.  

7 minutes ago, dougie said:

Hollywood often portrays cats as malicious or cat owners as creepy, social deviant weirdos.

Simply because filmmakers hate them. They can't be trained so working with them in movies is hard.