What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Oh you missed out on a lot. Some members here love moody, pseudo-feminist pop.

Pop rock.  The Bangles ain't Bananarama.  

Black Panther.

And my faith in Marvel has been restored. Great film. Killmonger wasn't a really convincing character, but Danai Gurira was great and every second of the story was equally engaging.

And what a fine score. It's been a while since I've heard such fantastic trombone and violin material, though one or two passages were too Zimmeresque, but there are trumpets and major chords to be heard, so no big deal.

1 minute ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Isn't the entire cast black? There's no one for me to relate to.

Not true. Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis are both in supporting roles. There are other minor characters as well. Majority of the cast is African American, that's all.

57 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West

One of my favorite animated films. Horner’s score is superb. 

The first is considerably better in my estimation.  Film, I mean.  Both scores are brilliant.   

Harold & Maude (1971) 

Excellent stuff! Ashby continues to amaze me - 9/10

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

Fantastic for these accelerated times. I'd like to see more films done in this format. Buster, Liam and Tom Waits' stories were my favorites, with Franco's getting quite close - 8/10

Venom (2018)

Boring. The only geniunely good parts were the ones between Eddie and Venom. But there are three or four of those, tops. - 4/10

Mary Shelley (2017) 

Meh. Didn't really tell me anything interesting. It's not bad, but considering the subject it could have been outstading. Tried to be Price and Prejudice but without any of the craft. The cast is fine, I suppose. - 6/10 

Christopher Robin (2018)

Cliche'd, and not what I was expecting. But very well done and quite emotional, particularly the first half. The second.... Not so much. But it works. - 8/10

Downsizing (2017)

Great! A truly pleasant surprise and very poingnat for our times. Christoph Waltz, as always, stole the show. But the true revelation was Hong Chau as Ngoc. - 8.5/10

Aquaman (2017) 

I usually don't like superhero films (with expections,  like The Incredibles and Batman Returns) but I enjoyed this one a lot. It's nothing of too much merit, but it's a lot of fun and it can get quite creative when it wants to. - 7/10

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

Amazing. I still need to rewatch it a couple of times but it's outstanding. Probably among my top 3 Myazaki films. Next up, Porco Rosso! - 9/10

Meg (2018) 

Mehg. - 5/10

3 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Harold & Maude (1971) 

Excellent stuff! Ashby continues to amaze me - 9/10

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

Fantastic for these accelerated times. I'd like to see more films done in this format. Buster, Liam and Tom Waits' stories were my favorites, with Franco's getting quite close - 8/10

- It's been like 40 years ago since I've seen Harold & Maude. They never play these kind of movies on TV anymore.

- My favorite short of The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs is easily the Tom Waits one. Sure, some of the other ones were fun, but the one with the gold digger was pure movie magic. 

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

- It's been like 40 years ago since I've seen Harold & Maude. They never play these kind of movies on TV anymore.

I saw it on the big screen! With a full house. It was part of a festival and they had a little Ashby section. No Being There, sadly.

The first scene, though, where Harold hangs himself, almost made me faint :lol:

Having been at a friend's house on Saturday night and necked several beers yesterday was unsurprisingly a low-activity Sunday, helped by Dr No being on telly in the afternoon. I closed the curtains and settled back with the 'modest acorn from which the mighty oak grew'.

Connery is of course excellent on his debut ... insouciant, charming, amusing yet tough and ruthless when the situation demands it. And it's a shame Lord didn't continue as Leiter. Love the little touches like the 'freelance' licking her camera's flashbulb and Bond checking his watch while snogging Miss Taro.

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Considerably though? The western angle pushes it ahead for me. Plus John Cleese and James Stewart. 

Maybe just personal preference, but Bluth's brooding penchant and Spielberg's social focus give the first one a weight that the second one lacks.

Little details like the Tammany Hall send-up and the shot of Fievel looking in at the school window, love that kind of stuff.

The second one is more overtly a cartoon.  Not without redeeming elements, and Horner wrote such a magnificent piece in "Dreams to Dream." 

On 1/18/2019 at 11:01 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Has anyone else seen Downsizing? I liked it a lot but it got appaling reviews.

I saw it, it was pretty weird.  I think it's problem is that it was marketed as a goofy comedy, and it's a really serious movie that tackles a big subject.  It was kind of interesting.  Now that I know what the movie really is, I think a second viewing would be more rewarding than the first.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think it's problem is that it was marketed as a goofy comedy, and it's a really serious movie that tackles a big subject. 

A really serious movie? Alexander Payne? I don't think so ...

That's just the setup for the larger issues the film tackles later.  Of course all the marketing for the film focused only on that part.

Just now, Jay said:

It's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

Or, once again, the satire went over your head. Really, Alexander Payne isn't into really serious movies. Everybody knows that. 

1 hour ago, W0$ said:

I don't even know who Alexander Payne is, never heard of him before entering this thread today. 

Well, everyone except wojo when he doesn't have access to wikipedia. Payne's the director of really serious movies such as:

51nK10yUNiL.jpg

7e0e559fac9ee258d2aa1b77fa86cc3e.jpg

MV5BYjViYWQ4NjAtZmUzNy00Nzg5LWJkMzctMTgw

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, everyone except wojo when he doesn't have access to wikipedia. Payne's the director of really serious movies such as:

I've never seen those movies. Never wanted to. Not exactly household names in my house. Simply looking up a new name isn't enough for me, there needs to be a compelling reason for me to have heard of him. Those aren't.