What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The best BBC introduction to a movie that I've ever heard was "Fancy a swim?"

Guess what movie started?

Oh, er...TITANIC?

3 minutes ago, John said:

“Where’d you get that scar from... eatin’ pineapple?”

"What happens in the future? Do we become jerks, or something?".

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Back in the day, though ... man alive. Die Hard used to play on TV with 'melon farmer' being the phrase at the end of 'Yippee-ki-ay!', and that was after 9:00 at night 😲.    

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

'Man alive' ... oh. very good  😄

Spiders, then cannibalism ... you'd have been forgiven for thinking at one point that Frank Marshall was deliberately seeking out projects with repellent subject matter to direct.  

Laura

I love Gene Tierney in a film noir, but this was a bit disappointing in its second half - as if all the mystique of the first half suddenly vanished. Still, it starts off with everyone reminiscing of a dead girl named Laura whose past is conveyed through flashback - David Lynch and Fincher see this movie? Some Twin Peaks and Gone Girl in there.

Exodus: Gods and Kings

I didn't mind this! Lacks the schlocky entertainment value of the Heston movie, but still compelling when you're wondering how a modern film approaches this Biblical yarn.

The Last Of The Mohicans - don't think I'd seen this since its theatrical release. Daniel Day-Lewis maybe should've played the dashing romantic hero more often, it rather suits him. 

A sweepingly enjoyable historical adventure.

Days of Thunder

One of those movies that I'd seen on video shelves and on posters for years but never felt motivated enough to watch it until now. Just one of those Tom Cruise vehicles existing only to further elevate his emerging movie star deity status. The movie itself is okay, with some exciting track stunts. Almost felt like another movie he did The Color of Money, only instead of being a billiard prodigy, he's just so damn amazing at car racing. The dramatic element is dull as motor oil, but one plot turn suddenly makes a certain Simpsons episode finally make sense to me.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Whoa dude this was like so excellent. And JWfanners need to be excellent to each other! This was fun pulp. Loved it.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Anyone else prefer this one to the original? People seem to hate it but I liked it more! The stakes seemed higher, it had some surreal moments thrown in to like make it even weirder dude. They don't make schlock as exciting as this anymore. Try explaining the plot to someone who just walked in on you watching it - you'll laugh barrels just hearing yourself saying it.

....EXCELLENT ADVENTURE is good, but ...BOGUS JOURNEY craps all over it, from a great height.

Best lines:

"I totally possessed my dad",

"We were totally lied to by our album covers", and

"We're fully-programmed to do it".

"Yeah; we wanna do it, too".

Ok, so the characters are one step away from being full-on stoners, and one could be mistaken for thinking it's all a bit Cheech and Chong lite, but the film is so full of innocence, and hope, and happiness (as is the original) that it's hard not to get caught-up in it.

I, for one, can't wait to see what they do next.

Wayne's World

I remember seeing this years ago but I wasn't really all that into it. My older brother dug it a lot though. One of those rare Paramount movies with the Paramount fanfare over the logo.

Wayne's World 2

I was mostly bored by this. A few funny gags here and there, but it had no momentum. Rather like the limp AVGN movie. Still, Tia Carrere and Kim Basinger are absolute 10s.

Dumb-but-harmlessly-so 'metalheads' were a bit of a thing in the late 80s/early 90s, what with Bill and Ted and Wayne's World. Then there were Beavis and Butthead, who were possibly not as harmless ... ahuh-huh-huh huh-huh-huh huh-huh-huh.   

1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Dumb-but-harmlessly-so 'metalheads' were a bit of a thing in the late 80s/early 90s, what with Bill and Ted and Wayne's World. Then there were Beavis and Butthead, who were possibly not as harmless ... ahuh-huh-huh huh-huh-huh huh-huh-huh.   

I like how they all talk like the Ninja Turtles.

Donnie Darko (Director's Cut)

While watching, I kept thinking "Don't do what Donny Don't does" - an apt connection to a film that feels like a raft of Simpsons satirical ideas rolled into over two hours about how suburbia sucks, only this time more dark and disturbing. Hollywood seems to revel in attacking the mundane monotony of the suburbs - no doubt because much of showbiz is made up of people who escaped the sprawl and fled for the artsy fartsy coast. As for the title character, aside from a few exceptions, he might be the only sane one in the movie despite his hallucinations - "irony" a core theme at work? Oh and the Lynch inspiration is everywhere here.

San Andreas.

It's one of those movies that give you ample time to predict the dramatic dialogue, but I still quite enjoyed it, especially the final twist. A No Ollie Cut would be very welcome, however, and some moments were too fast-paced.

The score was good as well, clearly inspired by today's action writing techniques, but melodic and engaging at the same time. Ironically, te parachute scene's music reminded me of Man of Steel, only this piece did tell me the characters were flying and the quieter moments were well worth waiting for.

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Planes, Trains, And Automobiles  (1987)

Such a funny and charming and profound movie.  Like in Some Kind Of Wonderful, Hughes seems to be venting some personal frustrations here.  Neal (Steve Martin) is caught up with his rather frustrating work, and needs to get home to his wife and kids, but there are things in the way which must be faced and shed.  It rather prefigures Hughes's own eventual exodus from Hollywood.  But this movie really is peak Hughes.  Martin and Candy are fantastic as characters who find themselves and each other on a journey.  Such a simple well worn premise, but Hughes injects so much life into it that the movie becomes a prime example.  Cheesy as it may sound, I'm in awe at the depth that this seemingly simple, even silly, movie has.  Most outsiders are actually, in their own way, insiders.  Hughes really spoke for and to those in the wild.  He was the genuine article.  

4/4   

Planes, Trains & Automobiles is such a perfect comedy, and one of my favorite flicks. Heartwarming, funny, and yet most of all doesn't forget to make the audience feel for its character (John Candy was Oscar worthy IMO, I miss that guy). I enjoy some of his other films, but this is no doubt Hughes' finest film as a director. Not to mention, it's pretty much the only great thanksgiving film I can think of.

Misery

I kept thinking while watching this that Kathy Bates is JWfan and James Caan is John Williams, and the forum keeps him locked up, forcing him to keep writing music or else "I'll kill us both!" But man oh man she was the scariest woman ever - strong as a friggin ox too.

The Help

Did this movie feature the highest proportion of sexy redheads ever? I mean that Jessica Chastain must have the most phwoar body in Hollywood in the 2010s. Good vignette type movie.

34 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You and @JoeinAR agree again!

No my favorite is Carrie. But i do love Misery. Love Shawshank, Green Mile, Christine, The Dead Zone, It chapter 1, The Mist and several others to a lesser degree.

Single white female.

After 20 minutes I wanted to turn it off because I thought they were rushing Hedra's character development, but then I suddenly found myself enjoying it, so I kept watching. Wish I hadn't. Jennifer Jason Leigh was amazing, but she was stuck in the wrong movie. It all fell apart and became totally ridiculous. There are serious time issues (Graham couldn't possibly still be alive) and the final scene was absolutely dreadful.

The score was interesting, however: the way Howard Shore goes from minor to major worked so well and the music partly persuaded me to keep watching.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Exciting! The only bit I thought was unlikely (yeah yeah) was when they catch out that other dude's 1990s vernacular. Did people speak much differently back then to what they do now? And Karen Gillen, perfect 10.

2:22

Avoid. But looking at Teresa Palmer, you'd think she was a genetic hybrid of Kristen Stewart, Emma Watson, Ashley Greene, and maybe a few others.

Eagle Eye

Fairly standard surveillance tech thriller. Rosario Dawson looks like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in this, just from her hairstyle and dress sense. Imagine how a movie like this would be done today with our currently even more potent communications tech. The Eagle Eye AI would be threatening its subjects with their dick pics or something.

The Ghost Writer

Poor Obi-Wan gets thrown into a political underworld of conspiracy that was more than he bargained for in the beginning. If you like Chinatown or The Ninth Gate, you'll nod at all the Polanski parallels from those movies harkening back to Hitchcock. Exciting movie!

The BFG

I'd put this off for ages because I was afraid it'd be the "Boring Fucking Giant". Well it certainly threatens to be, that is until the schlocky third act that was nothing short of hilarious! They even chucked in an ID4 line when the Queen tells "Nancy" over the phone "then wake him!" It could have gone that extra mile in schlock value if the giants attacked London, but Spielberg held back. We'll probably have to wait for The Lost Giants: The BFG if we wanna see that.