What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Thank you. I can't believe my grandmother just felt me up. A classic spit take if there ever was.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, dougie said:

The Hitman's Bodyguard

Okay buddy flick actioner. Ryan Reynolds is such a strange action lead since he conveys such a sissy persona with a high, girly voice. Oddly so many seemingly simple shots in this movie look like they were shot with green screen on a sound stage - it always takes me out of it when they do that!

And yet it works great when he's Deadpool.  

Just now, dougie said:

The African Queen

Bogey takes on some prudish bitch who pours out all his bottles of gin into the river, bloody hell. She sexes up a bit more as he demonstrates how manly he is. Great movie!

Great description!

3 hours ago, dougie said:

The Karate Kid

I'm only just seeing these movies now. I was never much into fighting movies growing up, other than Godzilla movies. But here goes. Hopefully they put the rest on tele soon.

Which one? Karate Kid or Karate Kid?

Godzilla 2: City on the Edge of Battle

These anime flicks have been a huge disappointment so far. Maybe I just don't get the format or the neon-tech-gee-wiz appeal of these movies, but it's too much talk-talk-talk and not enough actual monster stuff. The one good scene is where that guy tells that other guy about a monster worse than Godzilla, he whispers it and we don't hear it, but we all know he's saying "Ghidorah".

Amistad (1997)

An excellent effort from Spielberg.  He manages to find an engaging balance between drama and comedy, brutality and humanity, presenting it all as different sides of the same coin.  Some fine performances here from the cast (Hounsou is vital and McConaughey rather charming indeed) and from the crew, Kaminiski and Khan especially bringing their A games.  Williams's score is also fantastic.   Some definitely moving passages in this film, even if Spielberg goes over the top a couple of times.  Only this, historical discrepancies, and the structural problem of having McConaughey's character recede a bit into the woodwork towards the end to make way for Anthony Hopkins, keep me from giving it full marks.

3.5/4 

Man, I need to catch up on:

Sully

War Horse

Lincoln

The Finest Hours

Lawrence of Arabia

And from this week:

The Bridge on the River Kwai (awesome, really good!)

Patton (great!)

Reviews coming! Standing by!

Deadpool 2

How does this guy with a Freddy Krueger face and a high sissy voice get one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood today? Josh Brolin should have played Wade instead, he's manlier and more thanawesome. Funny movie.

Watching The Day the Earth Stood Still. The only version anyone should ever watch. 

This is such a great film. The acting and direction is superb. The effects are terrific for the time. The score is exceptional at provoking paranoia.  I have it on disc but I watch it whenever it comes on tv.

Love the score as its used in Lost in Space.

All those in charge of making that film should have broken glass and razorblades hammered into their genitals

Now you see me 2.

Not bad, if a little too long and convoluted, but that might be because it's been ages since I've watched the first film. This was also my first Daniel Radcliffe movie in which he didn't play Harry Potter and I liked him in the beginning, though he and his character became rather annoying and unconvincing later on. Lizzy Caplan was great, except when she spoke in a British accent, but Morgan Freeman's final scene was really absurd. I also found myself losing some interest during the final trick, though that quickly changed and Mark Ruffalo's casting was spot on.

The score's opening cue was amazing, but the soprano/alto near the end of the film didn't work at all. Some nice bits scattered throughout the rest.

1 hour ago, dougie said:

The remake was better. It was in colour, widescreen, surround sound, had more modern actors, better graphics and music.

I feel the same way about Psycho and King Kong.

Finally got around to watching Ant Man and The Wasp. A simple, entertaining superhero movie. Great special effects, funny script, Michael Peña kills it. Probably my favourite Marvel film from last year. I much prefer these standalone entries than the assemble ones.

5 hours ago, dougie said:

The remake was better. It was in colour, widescreen, surround sound, had more modern actors, better graphics and music.

Only a deplorable whose lips are fully attached to trumps rectum would think that.

47 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Or revolting, in this case, if you want to call what you posted truth or spewing crude political references in a movie thread.

You decide.

It was both. 

Plus anyone who says the remake of the Day the Earth Stood Still is better than the original must suffer. They did even have a day stand still. The honor must be upheld.

1976 Carrie. 

This is a B-film masterpiece.  

This is film where everything seems to fall into place. 

The direction is superb, DePalma seems to have so much fun.

The acting is remarkable.  Featuring an ensemble cast full of soon to be familiar faces. It features a star making role as Sissy Spacek is Carrie, for which she receives an Academy Award nomination for best actress. Piper Laurie as Margaret White is terrifying. The rest of the cast would make their mark here or elsewhere. 

What can you say about Pino Donaggio's score that hasn't been said. For me its one of the essentials. 

And that ending with its dream like quality. And yes that is Spacek's hand at the end. ACTING!

The Island

Nice to see Bay direct a compelling sci-fi story, despite him still loading it with all his sensory excesses. But then he follows it up with five friggin robot spectacles, I mean why? ScarJo is so barbie'd up here, an utterly beautiful woman in her prime.

10 minutes ago, dougie said:

ScarJo is so barbie'd up here, an utterly beautiful woman in her prime.

But there are more than a few shots in which she's blown-out by the lighting. Makes her look porcelain.

Its one of Bay's better films, alright. But that doesn't make it a good film.

He can get his act together when he needs to, and even some of his "lets-do-20-camera-setups-and-move-the-camera-all-the-time-for-every-scene" films can be enjoyed in small doses. Very, very small doses.

For the most part, his aesthetic gives me an actual headache.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I usually hate that sort of movies with a vengeance but Hansel & Gretel was fun.

MV5BMjE2MzUyOTc1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjkx

It was everything Van Helsing failed to be.