What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Solo.

Quite good. Alden Ehrenreich was great, except for the 'a mind of my own' line, Emilia Clarke's character was very interesting, but L3 and Val were annoying (no, I still don't like these would-be powerful women). Also found the double-crossing scene near the end a little too quick to take in, but other than that, very entertaining.

The score is fantastic. Williams' two main themes are amazing, though I definitely like the first one (and all its stunning variations) better, and you clearly hear John Powell is having a blast. The romantic side is equally glorious, I only didn't like the choir for Enfys at the beginning, also didn't really understand why we needed Luke's theme in the middle of the movie and is it me, or did Rogue One's end credits not open with the traditional Star Wars fanfare? Oh well. There was me thinking Giacchino would be Williams' Star Wars successor. How very wrong I was.

Jaws 2 because I was interested in the score and hate myself

Actually it wasn't godawfully terrible at all. A little boring, a little amusingly dumb, 100% having no idea what made Jaws great. I wanted to see as many of those kids eaten as possible.

The score? Eh. Throwaway fun fanfare after nondescript brooding after throwaway fun fanfare after obligatory self-parody level ostinato. I really mostly paid attention to it but it didn't stand together as a whole or create any memorable and distinct atmosphere or soundscape for me at all. Certainly not as fun and wholesome as the first, playing with all its motifs.

Seems 1978 is just my blind spot. Some people may say Fury is better than Dracula or Jaws 2 is better than Jaws or Superman is the greatest score of all time... I just don't get it. For all these 3, from what I heard, I have the same problem with recognizing no signature atmosphere or soundscape or mood or direction to latch onto and enter into them. And I didn't like any of the films either, to varying degrees.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

I have the same problem with recognizing no signature atmosphere or soundscape or mood or direction to latch onto and enter into them. 

That's a strange thing to attribute to The Fury. Did you listen to the original album? 

Jaws 2 is one of my least favorite John Williams scores actually, I almost never listen to it. I feel like at least for a while there was this weird faction of JWFans that united under the banner of "Jaws is the better film score, Jaws 2 is the better music"...then they were stamped out like the worthless, smelly cigarette butts they were.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Hmm, actually no. I saw the film and tried and failed twice to get through the complete score.

Awww, man, you should totally give it a shot! The LSO performance on the album smokes the film recording's ass, and the arrangement of the music is so haunting and conspiratorial. One of my favorite albums, ever.

Whether you like it or not, I would love to hear your opinion of it.

Cool!

I don't know if you're familiar with Akira Yamaoka's Silent Hill scores, but The Fury reminds me of them--not in terms of musical content, but how they're like a pool of cold, misty, thick fog that you submerge yourself into...I feel very strange and profound listening to these scores, and I hope it's something that others can feel, too.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

That's a strange thing to attribute to The Fury. Did you listen to the original album? 

Jaws 2 is one of my least favorite John Williams scores actually, I almost never listen to it. I feel like at least for a while there was this weird faction of JWFans that united under the banner of "Jaws is the better film score, Jaws 2 is the better music"...then they were stamped out like the worthless, smelly cigarette butts they were.

The best parts of Jaws 2 are not the stuff that has to do with Action or Horror (that stuff is pretty meh unfortunately).

It's the stuff like Ballet for Divers and the Main Title that capture the Beauty and Loneliness of the Ocean...

Definitely second the recommendation of the Fury LSO recording though.

18 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

The best parts of Jaws 2 are not the stuff that has to do with Action or Horror (that stuff is pretty meh unfortunately).

It's the stuff like Ballet for Divers and the Main Title that capture the Beauty and Loneliness of the Ocean...

Agreed.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

The best thing about Jaws 2 is that you can 100% tell that Roy Scheider is hating every minute of it (the studio forced him to do it).

I couldn't tell that at all. I was living in ignorant bliss!

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

The best thing about Jaws 2 is that you can 100% tell that Roy Scheider is hating every minute of it (the studio forced him to do it).

I could feel it and switched it off.