What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

22 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Sometimes, its a real shame English isn't my native language. I had just the right word in my mind  to reply to this, but now I have to look it up in the dictionary.

Ah, there it is! under N.

no [noh]

adverb

1. (a negative used to express dissent, denial, or refusal, as in response to a question or request)

I love it when Chen G. strikes back with dry humour.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

When I read those lines, I had to think of "Werk ohne Autor". Have you seen it? Has anybody else seen it? It's so bad, the english title, "Never Look Away", even tries to force the audience to watch it.

Ain't that the new Donnersmarck movie? Nah, 190 minutes i only reserve for Holocaust or Demille dramas.

The theory of everything.

I mainly watched it because of Felicity Jones, who was yet again fantastic. Eddie Redmayne just reminds me of how dismal the Fantastic Beasts franchise is at this point in time and Newt Scamander doesn't seem to be all that different from Stephen Hawking either. Overall, it's a good movie, except for some corny scenes and I didn't really like Maxine Peak.

Some cues in the score stood out and the use of Wagner material was brilliant, but the package as a whole could have been better. It mostly sounds as though the composer was either reigned in or too hesitant to use all his talents.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Ain't that the new Donnersmarck movie? Nah, 190 minutes i only reserve for Holocaust or Demille dramas.

Just don't watch it and don't make the fault I made. It is incredibly bad while thinking so much of itself.

* out of *****

Bird Box

Second viewing and score goes from 6/10 to 7/10. What I particularly noticed this time is that this film contains humor which A Quiet Place does not. Also, the people who do not understand why the children are called 'Boy' and 'Girl' have kinda missed the main theme of the film. Unfortunately, the climax feels a bit 'artificial', but other than that, I didn't expect Bird Box to fair so well during a second time around.

39779456153_331be061dd_b.jpg

À propos:

image.png

A couple and their two teenaged children survived an alien invasion that wiped out human civilization in their rural home. But they are doomed to remain silent, as the nearly invisible monsters roaming the land locate their human victims acoustically. Their situation is exacerbated by family tensions (threatening to escalate by the impending birth of a third child).

The idée clef of building a horror movie around non-verbal communication is realized wonderfully, technically brilliant, but especially in human terms (Krasinski has a good hand choosing and directing his actors, one of whom he is himself) - sadly all these positives cannot compensate for the fishy logic holes and the final third of the movie, where far too stereotypical story beats rear their ugly head - weapons used in gung-ho Rambo style is the kind of reactionary, simplistic Hollywood writing that is beneath the movie - and the ending recalls 'Mars Attacks', of all things. That the deaf (read: disabled) daughter turns the family's luck around is giving political correctness its due done right, though (for a change).

Music was good in spots but could've done with a stronger theme.

The Heiress

I dunno about you, but it's kinda funny seeing all this Warner Bros talent in a Paramount movie. Must have been a Warner exodus in the late 40s. Anyhoo, Olivia De Havilland plays such a ditz here, but after Tom Cruise look-alike Monty Clift scorns her, she becomes a completely different person like a calculating ice cube - is that all it takes?! There's a throwaway character named Quintus here too.

14 hours ago, dougie said:

The Heiress

I dunno about you, but it's kinda funny seeing all this Warner Bros talent in a Paramount movie. Must have been a Warner exodus in the late 40s. Anyhoo, Olivia De Havilland plays such a ditz here, but after Tom Cruise look-alike Monty Clift scorns her, she becomes a completely different person like a calculating ice cube - is that all it takes?! There's a throwaway character named Quintus here too.

This movie really impressed me the very first time I saw it.

2ffee362c523b76fc22127dada53d0e8--olivia

He came to the wrong house. Twice!

Christopher Robin (2018)

A tad disappointing by this one.  Lots of potential and the animals are absolutely charming, including the unblinking dispenser of wisdom that is the Silly Old Bear.  We could have had a striking and original take on middle age and childhood.  Instead, they played it safe to a fault, pseudo-arthouse editing and overly dramatic cinematography aside.  The human cast is just there, though the costumes are good.  Pacing is all off, plot is predictable, and the resolution at the Ministry of Truth is inept.  Kind of boring, actually, this one.  A pity.

2.5/4

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)

A pleasant and pretty period romance anchored by a sensitive and engaging performance by Lily James.A tad overlong, and leans on old tropes a bit too much, but has enough genuine touches to be worthwhile.

3/4

21 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

2018 is "older films" already? Damn, I am slow...

According to KM, who persisted on a separate film thread for newer films, everything not freshly opening in theatres is dusty antique. 

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Christopher Robin (2018)

A tad disappointing by this one.  Lots of potential and the animals are absolutely charming, including the unblinking dispenser of wisdom that is the Silly Old Bear.  We could have had a striking and original take on middle age and childhood.  Instead, they played it safe to a fault, pseudo-arthouse editing and overly dramatic cinematography aside.  The human cast is just there, though the costumes are good.  Pacing is all off, plot is predictable, and the resolution at the Ministry of Truth is inept.  Kind of boring, actually, this one.  A pity.

2.5/4

Saw that one last weekend. I agree. The animals had to be spot on, and they are really the only part of the movie that kept me interested. I always loved the Winnie the Pooh stories, and the return of Jim Cummings as Pooh and Tigger was very pleasing. 

However, the film was a tad dull, predictable and not incredibly amusing.

Long live Pooh Bear, of little brain but great heart.

On March 16, 2019 at 6:19 PM, bollemanneke said:

The theory of everything.

I mainly watched it because of Felicity Jones, who was yet again fantastic. Eddie Redmayne just reminds me of how dismal the Fantastic Beasts franchise is at this point in time and Newt Scamander doesn't seem to be all that different from Stephen Hawking either. Overall, it's a good movie, except for some corny scenes and I didn't really like Maxine Peak.

Some cues in the score stood out and the use of Wagner material was brilliant, but the package as a whole could have been better. It mostly sounds as though the composer was either reigned in or too hesitant to use all his talents.

Redmayne's performance was amazing! And the score nothing short of spectacular. One of Johansson's best, and one of quite a few splendid soundtracks from that year. I quite enjoyed the film. Jones was also very, very good.

Goldeneye - in the 6 years since the previous 007 flick, the Cold War had ended and political correctness had begun ... was there still a place for the 'blunt instrument' in the 90s? 

Well, yes ... both things are smartly addressed in M's dressing-down of Bond, who looks faintly amused at being told he's 'a sexist, misogynist dinosaur ... a relic of the Cold War', says 'Point taken' and then carries on much as he always did. And then there's a female villain with the surname Onatopp who kills her victims with her thighs ... the Craig-era Bond flicks would never be this 'cheeky'.

Brosnan acquits himself well ... a sort of 'Greatest Hits' amalgam of his predecessors, essentially. The action is well up to par, the music  ... hmm. Nothing wrong with the title song, but Serra's score ain't all that at times (particularly during the early Aston/Ferrari chase, which is accompanied by what sounds like half-assed videogame music) and his end-credits song is horrible drippy crap. After the 6-year gap, this flick needed John Barry going big, bold and brassy ... BOND IS BACK!

That said, this is probably the best of Brosnan's 4 (Tomorrow Never Dies has a better first half than second, TWINE is kinda bland and Die Another Day ... erm, yeah).

GoldenEye is one of the best Bonds, unfortunate music notwithstanding.  It quite successfully integrates the threads of 90s geopolitics and social environment, and modern filmmaking sensibilities, with the suave and cheek (great word!) that we expect with Bond.   Brosnan's portrayal here is more than crowd-pleasing (he started relying solely on that later), it has some depth to it in the shadows behind the smooth.  And the film is massively entertaining and re-watchable to boot.

4/4

9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

GoldenEye is one of the best Bonds, unfortunate music notwithstanding.  It quite successfully integrates the threads of 90s geopolitics and social environment, and modern filmmaking sensibilities, with the suave and cheek (great word!) that we expect with Bond.   Brosnan's portrayal here is more than crowd-pleasing (he started relying solely on that later), it has some depth to it in the shadows behind the smooth.  And the film is massively entertaining and re-watchable to boot.

4/4

Yep ... beneath the charm and the jokes, there's the likes of Bond brooding on the beach about the upcoming showdown with Trevelyan and the subsequent exchange with Natalya about his 'coldness' and when Trevelyan taunts him about (ab)using alcohol to cope with all the killing and the willing women to cope with all the ones who are dead because of him, he turns away in disgust because Trevelyan has hit a nerve.      

Golden Eye is so good I do not remember it at all. Brosnan Bond films strike me as the worst.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I prefer TND.

TND has grown on me, but it has nowhere near the aplomb of GoldenEye.

Generally, with the exception of GoldenEye, the Brosnan films are uneven at best, and downright disastrous at worst.

The more I watch TND, the more I warm to it. It has its faults (it's too fast, has very little character, and criminally under uses Baker and Jay - "throwing the playing cards" should have stayed in), but it looks good, and Pryce is...delicious. The score is a fantastic calling-card, for Arnold.