What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yes. CMIYC is an amazingly subtle film.

No.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

It's all there, on screen, Alex.

That's not very subtle.

Well, he is (or was, pre Schindler's List) a big kid.

Alongside the dysfunctional families which have become a calling card for Spielberg, so too are the "Spielberg nine-year-old" characters which pop up in so many of his films. They're essentially self-insert characters - they are Steven Spielberg.

3 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Well, he is (or was, pre Schindler's List) a big kid.

MV5BY2JiYTNmZTctYTQ1OC00YjU4LWEwMjYtZjkw

He is still a big kid.

8 minutes ago, dougie said:

Spielberg should have gotten over his weirdo daddy issues a lot earlier in life. Is there something wrong with him?

Spielberg didn't write it. Do we know Koepp changed his happy family into a dysfunctional one because of Spielberg?

3 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Spielberg didn't write it. Do we know Koepp changed his happy family into a dysfunctional one because of Spielberg?

He couldn't have just said to Unlucky Bastard "dude seriously I'm over this absent dad shit, I can do other things!"

5 minutes ago, dougie said:

He couldn't have just said to Unlucky Bastard "dude seriously I'm over this absent dad shit, I can do other things!"

It just seems to me it's more in line with the times we are living in. The utopian view of the happy family stems from the '50s and is too Disneyesque (vintage Disney). Most families today wouldn't know how to relate to that.

Is Guardian Of The Galaxy a typical Spielberg movie because of the many dysfunctional family themes it exhibits?

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Duh. But of course, the director...well...directs the screenwriters through the various drafts so that the resulting screenplay suits his sensibilities.

Although, certainly, Spielberg is in no small part a director who is somewhat dependant on having a good script to churn out a good movie. Very rarely is the way Spielberg directs a film (other than his penchant for melodrama) a fault, even in his lesser films.

Just now, Chen G. said:

Duh. But of course, the director...well...directs the screenwriters through the various drafts so that the resulting screenplay suits his sensibilities.

So we know for certain Koepp's family was a happy family because that's how everyone thinks of a family except for Spielberg?

You guys should see more movies! Happy families are not done anymore. 

8 minutes ago, dougie said:

Yeah but who cares about seeing nobody families?  At least ID4 had the President, an airforce pilot and a computer geek and they all played a role of consequence.

You have demonstrated multiple times that there's a part of you that wants to see more than just the big and loud movies. 

27 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You have demonstrated multiple times that there's a part of you that wants to see more than just the big and loud movies. 

That depends on how well they're done. There's nothing that infuriates me more in movies than teasing that it's a genre that it actually isn't. Like I said, I had this same complaint about the 2014 Godzilla - I love the monster action which it revels in during the last half hour, but the monsters don't really drive the film as much as the family/domestic drama does. It reeks of filmmakers feeling like they'd rather be making another movie.

4 hours ago, dougie said:

Yeah but who cares about seeing nobody families? At least ID4 had the President, an airforce pilot and a computer geek and they all played a role of consequence.

But it had that ridiculous moment when a ‘96 PowerBook was able to interface with an intergalactic computer and upload a janky virus that crippled all at once the invisible nuclear-proof shields around... ah hell, I guess that’s what made ID4 such irresistible fun back in the day.

3 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

But it had that ridiculous moment when a ‘96 PowerBook was able to interface with an intergalactic computer and upload a janky virus that crippled all at once the invisible nuclear-proof shields around... ah hell, I guess that’s what made ID4 such irresistible fun back in the day.

The aliens were already using our own satellites to coordinate their attacks, while Jeff Goldblum was able to analyse the signal enough to enable him to translate it into a countdown, so it isn't all that farfetched that he was able to write a virus on an earth computer that would do some damage to alien software.

Iron Man (2008)

After over a decade of buildup and expansion of this universe, its scale and linearity feel almost quaint in comparison. A fine script with plenty of room for wry character interactions and humor. One of the defining superhero origin films. 

**** out of *****

Its just a fine film

Oh wait its a superhero film it sucks

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's perfectly reasonable actually with the bit of technobabble provided.

I liked the part where Will Smith instinctively knew how to pilot an alien spacecraft on his first attempt. Totally believable.

56 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Robert Downey Jr. as Iron-man was - and continues to be - a revelation.

He's always Robert Downey Jr, no matter what character he's playing.

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

He's always Robert Downey Jr, no matter what character he's playing.

which works great for Tony Stark because he is Robert Downey Jr, complete with personal demons, public blow-outs, undergoing a reclusive period, his flamboyance, etcetra...

Indeed. Is there anybody who thinks, "Oh, no, why did they choose this actor for playing that superhero?" They are doing a pretty fine job at choosing the right man/woman for the job.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I liked the part where Will Smith instinctively knew how to pilot an alien spacecraft on his first attempt. Totally believable.

Except he didn't 

I watched a triad of wartime movies that I'm excited to review this week:

The Bridge on the River Kwai

A Bridge Too Far

Patton

Hopefully I don't mix up the content so as to end up posting a review for "A Bridge Too Far on the River Kwai".

What I can say now is that these films were large scale, brilliantly acted, and captivating. More coming.