What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I think you had to be there when they were first out, maybe young. I'm an old fuck now but those flicks are still great to me.

I had Pee-Wee's playhouse and dolls, I thought Batman was better than everything and had a crush on Winona Ryder. They were important movies for me.

I do get that. I love the off the wall bits but I can't sit through the whole film. If I am going to sit through a whole Burton film its Sissorhands or Sweeney 

4 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I do get that. I love the off the wall bits but I can't sit through the whole film. If I am going to sit through a whole Burton film its Sissorhands or Sweeney 

I love that story.

57 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

You don't love Ed Wood? Batman?

This era is what I meant when I said I liked his earlier stuff, but I actually haven't seen Ed Wood.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes

+1

11 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Nobody knows this, but Sweeney Todd is one of the two Burton movies that I shall take with me when they send me to a desert island. 

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Nobody knows this, but Sweeney Todd is one of the two Burton movies that I shall take with me when they send me to a desert island. 

We all know you will just bring 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Duellist, Blade Runner and Watchmen. 

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

+1

I knew that because depsite our kerfuffles we both have a weird appreciation for that film which we have discussed before.

31 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

I can't watch Sweeney Todd because Johnny Depp makes me sad because of how mean he was to his golddigging lesbian wife. 

#meeither

I get the impression that Depp is actually just a bit of a dick. Anyone that rich, famous and enormously popular, who gets themselves on the brink of bankruptcy, can only be a bit of a dick.

I miss the good old days were actors and actresses had to put out to get a job. Now we get little heros because they claim victimization.

47 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What an awful thing to say!

Its a very honest thing to say. I do not condone rape or assault but I also do not like little douches like tony rapp being considered a hero.

Actually, my hatred for the lying manipulative cunt that is Amber Heard is the only reason that I won't watch Aquaman anytime soon. I don't believe her. 

XC3YJYaagMcer4KuJo2wO84GLxShsz_large.jpg

I Married a Witch (1942; René Clair)

A very silly comedy starring Veronica Lake as a witch who means to ruin a man's life with a love potion but accidentally drinks it herself.  All manner of ridiculous plot contrivances ensue, very much in line with the screwball comedies of the time just now with a supernatural bent.  The actor who plays Lake's father is the highlight.  Enjoyable enough, but even at just 77 minutes the plot feels a stretched thin.

The Magnificent Ambersons

Clearly this one has been gutted.  It is rather like you are watching only half a movie.  But, Welles' style is singular, and their are moments which are absolutely electric.  One should probably stop watching when Welles announces that comeuppance has been been doled out and skip directly to his spoken credits.  

4/4

Copycat (1994)

Rather strong post Lambs serial killer thriller starring Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter.  Some quite fluid moments, and interesting performances.  A bit of twist on the damsel in distress matter, too.  Christopher Young's score works quite well.

3.5/4

An American Tail

Bluth and Spielberg's effort here must be commended.  This is darker and deeper than your usual animated fare.  The complexity may come at he expense of some charm, but Horner fills those blanks and more with what is one of his very best efforts.  The songs, however, are lackluster, except "Somewhere Out There," though its perormance leaves something to be desired.

3/4

4 Days In September (1997)

Fictionalized account of the kidnapping of the American ambassador to Brazil in 1969 by a group of left-wing radicals.  They tried to be nuanced with this one, with shades of grey and all that.  It works somewhat.

2.5/4

10 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Clearly this one has been gutted.  It is rather like you are watching only half a movie.  But, Welles' style is singular, and their are moments which are absolutely electric.  One should probably stop watching when Welles announces that comeuppance has been been doled out and skip directly to his spoken credits.  

4/4

ambersons20.png

I thought this scene was shocking (the way Lucy responses), even today. Do you remember it?

4 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

4/4

And like the film, much of Herrmann's original score was cut to pieces and replaced.  But it's one of his very best from the early part of his film career.

This reconstructed and re-recorded score is great.

Magnificent_Ambersons_PRCD1783.jpg

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I thought this scene was shocking (the way Lucy responses), even today. Do you remember it?

Yes.  One of the electric moments I was referring to.  It is a scene that does not fit well with our expectations of how a scene should play out or be shot in any era.  It is Welles doing something completely out of the box.

1 minute ago, SteveMc said:

It is a scene that does not fit well with our expectations of how a scene should play out or be shot in any era. 

That's it. It's almost Lynchian, but you don't expect that in a film made in 1942.

The Thing Called Love

PSX_20190419_133220.jpg

Good news, everyone. One of my favorite movies is on Prime. Bad news: It isn't the superior director's cut exclusive to DVD. Peter Bogdanovich directed in the 90s this flick about 20-somethings in Nashville trying to hit the big time auditioning to perform in a small cafe that will apparently jumpstart their music careers. Just don't slip any tapes under the table! It's against the rules!

It was a bomb and has a cult of fans which I consider myself a part of. It's sort of indirectly art housey. Like, you could tell it was supposed to be a commercial movie, but it just never quite worked out that way. It wasn't its destiny. It's also the last completed movie of the God of Hair, River Phoenix. It's on full display in a rather weird and memorable performance that Ebert apparently saw as a cry for help. I love all the characters and their relationships, the music and all the great hair.

Miranda arrives in town from New York, meets the endearing Linda Lue and attracts the attention of nice guy Kyle, who is doomed to forever have his heart trampled on, and James, the bad boy with luscious locks. It sounds very soapy and may even appear to be a shitty romcom for young people, but it's played straight with enjoyable attractive people, good performances, long takes like a John Ford movie and great music!

1949 Secret Garden the one with Margaret O'brian and Al from Quantum Leap.

19 hours ago, Richard said:

@Sweeping Strings

Sweep, thank fuck you sorted out your avatar!

Heh, well thank you. That said, if the writing is given a bit of a kick up the arse and Ryan is dropped Jodie will be a fine Doctor. 

My favorite Easter movies this morning :

Star Wars IV (Bluray)

Star Wars V (Bluray)

And Monday :

Star Wars II (Bluray)

Star Wars III (Bluray)

Star Wars VI (Bluray)

I guess you misplaced Episode One?

I watched an hour or so of Die Another Day last night. Anyone else think the first half is great? I think that section is actually better than the other Pierce Brosnan movies. Bond has long hair, then he's smoking cigars, being more dickish than usual to people and swordfighting.

I would be interested in seeing a list of 5 films we could each take to an island. Only I am strict. 5 films. Not Lotr and count it as 1 as many here would do. Its 3 movies. Same with Potter or Indy.

8 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Not Lotr and count it as 1 as many here would do. Its 3 movies. Same with Potter or Indy.

Not a right comparison. The one was written, previsualized, shot and largely assembled in one go and presented as three parts; the others (with the exception of the last two Harry Potter entries) were made as separate productions, often with different creative teams.

16 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Not a right comparison. The one was written, previsualized, shot and largely assembled in one go and presented as three parts; the others (with the exception of the last two Harry Potter entries) were made as separate productions, often with different creative teams.

How stupid do you think people are?  They are three separate films released at different times. Only a moron would say they are one movie. Your absurd arguement would indicate Avengers Infinity War and Avenger Endgame are one movie. Such foolhardy means each film loses its individuality, the ebb and flow that makes each feel unique and special. It destoys an individual film of being an event. Let films be themselves within a series. Also thatnks for proving me right about a subset of posters here having an inability to differentiate such things.