What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Fantasy (i.e. Brave) definitely doesn’t seem to be their forte, though I’m interested as to how Onward turns out. 

All their currently planned films beyond Toy Story 4 are original premises, so that seems promising. 

When I was 21, the concept of a rat who likes to cook sounded real dumb to me and I ended up thinking it was a masterpiece after I saw it.  You never know!

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

When I was 21, the concept of a rat who likes to cook sounded real dumb to me and I ended up thinking it was a masterpiece after I saw it.  You never know!

I toss that up to Brad Bird more than Pixar itself. 

I watched The Late Show a few years ago.  Pretty good.  I watched it because I love Lily Tomlin/Altman and it kinda had Long Goodbye vibes with the 70s LA noir thing.  Definitely not in the same league as that movie though.

Philomena.

I didn't want to watch it at first because I don't particularly like Judi Dench, but it's certainly not bad at all. I didn't know Irish people used first names so frequently and really want to go back to Ireland now (to hear more of that delicious accent, not to learn more about this tragedy, though that might come up later). The ending is rather abrupt, however, and there's also something decidedly light-hearted about the movie, which is inappropriate given the dramatic subject it tackles, but Steve Coogan and the girls in the flashbacks were all excellent.

The score is mostly light-hearted as well and has a few outstanding moments.

Django unchained.

I really liked it at first. My only remarks would have been that they could have deleted a few of Christoph Waltz's monologues and that I didn't like how Jamie Foxx started being all rude to DiCaprio, but other than that, great. But I had yet to watch the ending. Why? Why couldn't the story just finish with them buying Broomhilda? That would have been so bittersweet and poignant. But no, instead we get a pointless shootout that sends Waltz to the afterlife in a mere matter of seconds. I'm not saying I'm not happy with how things turned out in the end and part of me realises that most of what happened had to happen in order for us to get there, but it still feels somewhat forced and unnecessary.

As usual, I liked most of the music and the song underscoring Broomhilda entering the dining room was deeply, deeply moving. Tarantino might not be a perfect director, but he knows damn well what he's doing when he chooses the music for his movies.

"I have an idea for a Godzilla movie that I've always wanted to do. The whole idea of Godzilla's role in Tokyo, where he's always battling these other monsters, saving humanity time and again - wouldn't Godzilla become God? It would be called 'Living Under the Rule of Godzilla.'" - Quentin Tarantino 

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

"I have an idea for a Godzilla movie that I've always wanted to do. The whole idea of Godzilla's role in Tokyo, where he's always battling these other monsters, saving humanity time and again - wouldn't Godzilla become God? It would be called 'Living Under the Rule of Godzilla.'" - Quentin Tarantino 

Actually that does resemble a great deal of what I've read about the new movie, aside from the final battle's location, which is supposed to be Boston.

220px-Thebodysnatcher.jpg

Maybe be a bit too tastefully literary, but wonderfully elegant and moody all the same. Just discovering all those old Lewton movies.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:44 PM, bollemanneke said:

Philomena.

The score is mostly light-hearted as well and has a few outstanding moments.

Isn't that an Alexander Desplat score?

Abbott and Costello meets Frankenstein. 

Nope Krispy Kreme is unsanitary. I wouldn't bring my staff donuts from such a nasty place

A place called Spudnuts is our favorite. Diabetic comas waiting to happen. They are made from potato flour 

They are supposed to have chocolate cake donuts (they did not) but the management has let the place go to hell.