What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not a bad film in its own right though.

Yeah. It’s unfortunate of any film to be compared to The Silence of the Lambs.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

As I said, it’s Aliens to Alien. Two very different films that do everything right in their own context. 

The difference is that Aliens is loved just as much as Alien, if not even more. Not so with Hannibal ...

Unlike The Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal, Aliens is of a completely different genre to Alien. The one's a horror film, the other - an action film.

Hannibal is trash while Silence is golden.

Speaking of trash Hereditary somehow peaked my husband's fancy the other night. IF anyone told me I would watch that garbage a 2nd time I would have laughed. But the forces of evil worked their way  and so I comically encourage David to watch, I was careful to pay attention to his reaction. When it was all over and 2 hrs and 7 minutes of our lives were lost for eternity David used the most unkind word one can use to describe a horror film, BORING. Indeed. Anyone who thinks this is a good  horror film let alone a good movie is someone who's opinion I cannot trust. 

Aesthetically it features one of the most unattractive casts in a long time.

I also watched Cold Pursuit with racist Liam Neeson. It would have been a good movie if it wasn't for Neeson the racist. And then the abject racism withn the film was even more pertinent due to Neeson the racists involvement. 

The movie was just a hoot. 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Hannibal is trash

Correct. And in order to enjoy the movie, it should be viewed as trash.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

I also watched Cold Pursuit

Loved the bedtime story scene.

Schindler a racist?

Yes me too. It reminded me of Dan Aykroyd telling Gilda Radnor a bedtime story on SNL

15 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Correct. And in order to enjoy the movie, it should be viewed as trash.

Loved the bedtime story scene.

Schindler a racist?

If you noticed he was hardly featured in any of the advertisements for Men in Black International.  And Cold Pursuit had virtually no ad campaign after his ill timed but quite understandable comments.

23 hours ago, Richard said:

DEADPOOL...or DEAD POOL...or WHATEVER POOL.

Well, however you spell it, I really dug it. Snappy, sassy, crude, rude, purile, and very funny. Right up my street :)

It featured a "superhero" that I actually cared about. Roll on number 2.

Best line: "# drive-by".

You shouldn't be wasting your time with that superhero rubbish Richard, apparently it leads to you being unaware that the sex thriller is not dead and seemingly that's important or some shite. 

Kalifornia

MV5BMTYyMjQ0NDYyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODIzOTIwMjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1556,1000_AL_.jpg

There were provocative memorable ads for this movie in DC Star Trek funnybooks. I saw it a few years later and enjoyed it. It perfectly captures the feel of driving across bumfuck America en route to Disneyland. I mean, California. I like that about it. Visually, it's awesome. The rural highway roads past sketchy gas stations and abandoned buildings, neon motel signs and the like. It all looks great and feels authentic.

David Duchovny and Michelle Forbes are beautiful and ridiculously convincing as a couple. I've liked Brad in various movies, but his acting range usually leaves a lot to be desired. I mean, he's alright, but pretty unremarkable and samey a lot of the time. That's all I'm saying. This role is an exception. He's ludicrously over the top, but weirdly believable along with the constantly annoying Juliette Lewis at his side.

It's one of those movies you really get in to and care about the characters. A massive amount of suspense is built up later in the flick when the unleashed Early takes Carrie. It somehow balances out the crude graphic murders and sex without becoming trashy and while the ending is incredibly predictable, you probably wouldn't have wanted it to go any other way. It's about the journey, not the destination.

A Man For All Seasons

I started watching The Taming of the Shrew and couldn't stand it after only ten minutes so I watched this instead. I'm glad I did, this was really good. The lead guy in the movie is outstanding.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:38 PM, Quintus said:

Deadpool is probably my favourite superhero movie series out of the massive crop of them, it's like Marvel by way of South Park.

How does it compare to Shazam? I've seen neither.

The Nun

Fairly stock standard spookie from The Conjuring universe, but I loved the atmospheric gothic horror castle setting, which they don't do much these days. And that mini-Farmiga -- awemuhgawd she's gorgeous! Like a Vera clone!

She's Having A Baby (1988)

This John Hughes penned and directed movie is kind of hit and miss.  It seems Hughes did not quite know if he wanted to make a romantic comedy, a comedy-drama, a farcical comedy, or a light melodrama, so he packed it all in here.  It's not a bad movie, just one that's a little hard to get.  This movie was filmed before Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, so it is the director's first foray into purely "adult" filmmaking, and it shows   There are issues with pacing, character definition, and overall story, and Hughes throws in some really odd sequences in there. 

But, there are redeeming points.  Though not as plentiful as in some of his other scripts, there are a few great Hughes lines, even if most conversations fall quite short of brilliant.  Hughes also brings some interesting direction to the fore. 

Most striking is how he and Donald Peterman light certain scenes quite impressively. 

Also, the performances by the cast really elevate things, even if the characters themselves somewhat fall short of being likable.

Kevin Bacon takes the lead as a man and aspiring writer who is not ready for marriage, the corporate life, fatherhood or adulthood, but finds himself there as if by route.  Elizabeth McGovern does well with limited material as his wife.  And Alec Baldwin convincingly plays Bacon's tragically sleazy best friend.

By far the best part of the movie is the climactic sequence, where Hughes relies not on dialogue, but arranges a marriage between impressive visual and musical storytelling.  

With labor complications putting the lives of his wife and child in the balance, Bacon's character flashes back to happy times in his marriage, moments the narrative has heretofore not really given us, as he reflects on his mistakes and insincerity.  To really drive those last two points home, Hughes had Kate Bush write a song, "This Woman's Work" for the sequence, as he arranges all the other dramatic elements quite powerfully to achieve a real sense of emotion and suspense.  The tears were flowing down my cheeks.

It is a pity Hughes did not continue honing his directing craft, as this sequence, like the museum sequence in Ferris Bueller and Plane's climactic sequence, really show he had a gift for the visual.

3/4  

I didn't really I understand what the film was trying to say. It seemed to have a lot of disparate threads that didn't seem to come together: Clooney's actor; Brolin's producer; Feinnes' director, the Swinton and Swinton's gossip columnist; the bit-part cowboy actor; Tatum's off-the-wall communist dancer; the intellectual screenwriters. It all seemed a bit muddled.

It was good, however, to see The Cowboy. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't among the Cohen Brothers' best work.

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

I didn't really I understand what the film was trying to say. It seemed to have a lot of disparate threads that didn't seem to come together: Clooney's actor; Brolin's producer; Feinnes' director, the Swinton and Swinton's gossip columnist; the bit-part cowboy actor; Tatum's off-the-wall communist dancer; the intellectual screenwriters. It all seemed a bit muddled.

It was good, however, to see The Cowboy. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't among the Cohen Brothers' best work.

I thought it was very good

Since the bluray had it, thought I might as well check the Special Ed of CE3K out at least once. It's still the same flick, looks closer to the very filmy Theatrical than the cleaner, more digital looking Director's. The Inside... not bad at all, just completely pointless. Until the very end of course, where the effects and editing heavily imply the aliens used a space ray on Roy to turn him into one of their own species then sent him out to wave goodbye to Lacombe with the Kodály signs, what the hell is that edit about?

It uses the actual JW credits instead of the edited crap, though, so BIIIG BIG bonus points for that!

I'll stay with the Theatrical, I liked that one the most.

The theatrical is far and away the best cut of the film, though yea, it's a pity Speilberg hacked the end credits music at the last minute.  Otherwise, superb.

Hell yeah, with a hella slick Mancini score to go with it.

There are two pianos playing the same notes, but one is tuned a quarter tone apart. It really wins you over by the end of the track.

The Nice Guys - this freewheeling 70s-set crime-action-comedy is a lot of fun. Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling make for a chucklesome double-act as an 'enforcer' and rubbish private investigator respectively.

Pretty in Pink

Heh, they pick on Back to the Future for its "materialithm" but fuck have they even watched this? It makes BTTF seem like a spiritualist church by comparison. Anyhoo, Annie Potts really stole this movie in the scenes she was in, and so did Harry Dean Stanton - why couldn't it have been more about them? Probably one of the better Hughes flicks I've seen, but still a headscratcher in places.

St Elmo's Fire

Anyone else go for years thinking this was a John Hughes movie? Guess I was wrong. Anyhoo, this almost put me to sleep. I'm not even sure what this was about. Rob Lowe had a great leather jacket at the end.

The Manchurian Candidate (2004)

Paranoid thriller starring Denzel Washington.  It is pretty good, though I feel it has aged just a tad.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but somehow I feel the characters could have been a bit more compelling.  Solid acting. 

3/4

Stanley & Iris

Forgettable romantic movie.  I was here just for Williams' score, which is pleasant piano based Americana.

2/4

Richard III (1995)

Excellent stuff.  Intriguing concept fully realized.  Superb performances from the ensemble.  Flashes of real brilliance throughout. 

4/4  

Crazy Rich Asians

This is one of the most disappointingly super boring movies I've ever had the nerve to slog through. The TV ad made it look as though the main girl (who was gorgeous) would be in a constant cultural struggle with her boyfriend's snooty wealthy family with some dramatic effect, which it does a tiny bit I guess, but instead it spends most of its bloated runtime reveling in its mega glam gee-wiz excess with parties and holiday outings. Skip it.