What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Ben-Hur (1959)

It's good. Looks great, Heston's great, Rózsa's great, the chariot sequence is still one of the top best executed setpieces ever.

8 1/2. My housemate wanted to go a bit highbrow last night so we watched that. It was definitely a very well shot film. I'm not sure whether I loved it though. I need to watch it one more time on my own without any interruptions.

Karol

1 hour ago, Holko said:

the chariot sequence is still one of the top best executed setpieces ever.

That it is. Which it makes it that much more puzzling when the film is so resolute to keep chuggin’ along well after that sequence was over. It should have been the climax of the film.

Which would throw out a main point of the story, vengeance not satisfying Judah at all. Would you stop Return of the King with Frodo saying "it's over" on the side of Mt. Doom, maybe with the Eagles carrying them away?

35 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You want me to twirl it, don't you? 

Karol

Yes!

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Which would throw out a main point of the story, vengeance not satisfying Judah at all. Would you stop Return of the King with Frodo saying "it's over" on the side of Mt. Doom, maybe with the Eagles carrying them away?

An improvement, but it would still have been too long.

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That it is. Which it makes it that much more puzzling when the film is so resolute to keep chuggin’ along well after that sequence was over. It should have been the climax of the film.

Just like Braveheart.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

I didn't say it should've been the end of the film. I said it should've been the climax. The whole crucifixion aspect should have been condensed into a brief denoument. Besides, its not a fair comparison between the standalone film that is Ben Hur and a film that has to not only conclude its own narrative, but that of previous films.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just like Braveheart.

Not at all. Braveheart climaxes in the execution, which is then immediately followed by the (very brief) closing scene in Bannockburn. Its very succint that way.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

8 1/2. My housemate wanted to go a bit highbrow last night so we watched that. It was definitely a very well shot film. I'm not sure whether I loved it though. I need to watch it one more time on my own without any interruptions.

Karol

How many Fellini films have you seen? Otto e mezzo isn't my favorite, but the more I watched the more I realized how much emotion and humanity it had flowing beneath the detached exterior, particularly as personified by Guido. 

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Croc, you did love it, and you will love it. You just don't know this, yet.

The Amityville Murders

I would have devoured this when I was about 10. I loved Amityville movies when I was a kid and I loved drawing spooky pics of the house, which got me into trouble at school. This is about as cheap and uncheerful as they come, and the CGI exterior shots of the iconic house are hilarious and baffling since they built a live replica for the 1979 movie. It's pretty much an oddly watchable remake of Amityville II, with a cameo by Burt Young who these days looks like a cuddly old mafia don grandpa, but he was repulsive in the 70s/80s!

A Star Is Born

A bit indulgent but at least we got to see Lady Gaga in the nuddy. What a beautiful set of tits that woman has. Anyhoo, it got a bit uncomfortable during the scenes where Bradley Cooper was having a tinnitus attack, but it was nice to see an A-List flick acknowledging this debilitating condition and its devastating effects.

Star Trek: Nemesis

star-trek-nemesis-startrek-screencaps.com-6321.jpg

Like a thousand other reviewers on a thousand other websites, I await the dawn. All JWFans: battle stations! Nemesis is a bad, weird flick. It's decidedly more of an action flick and yet it ends up being boring for most of its runtime. A lot of screentime for Shinzon, Picard's odd clone that doesn't inspire any sympathy. He's a bad guy from beginning to end and a pretty lame one at that. We all have so many questions about the Remans and Shinzon, B-4 (Brent Spiner playing a retarded version of Data) etc. Let's forget about it. It's not that kind of movie. Tom Hardy seemed to think it would be a good movie. In his defense, it should have been.

From the marketing, it appeared that this would be a mirror universe movie. Two Picards, two Datas. It obviously was nothing of the sort. One thing was clear. This was expected to be the final movie for the TNG crew. Rather than go out on a high note, after two grim hours of dark and disturbing post-9/11, Trek went out with a whimper.

What went right? I like the Romulan senate at the beginning. Jerry's score is awesome. His action material is suitably aggressive and perfectly compliments some fairly good action scenes. That brings me to the action scenes--not the horrendous shootouts, mind you. The infamous dune buggy scene is actually pretty good. I mean, come on. It's just cool to see them driving around a car with Worf shooting a cannon. There's a clever scene where Picard and Data escape in a shuttle being piloted through corridors, concluding with the Enterprise rescuing them with a wonderful rendition of the ST theme. Of course, there is a lengthy space battle in this one that delivers plenty of starshipian tacticalian action and suspense. Oh, there's also a nice moment where Picard says goodbye to Riker.

What went wrong? Pretty much everything else. Again, this is a weird movie. The writing by Brent Spiner's friend certainly did the movie no favors. It just depresses rather than inspires. Marina Sirtis looks like a mess here and no one wanted to see her sexually violated. What the hell were they thinking? This is post-9/11 dark and disturbing at its worst. The TNG crew could certainly do action (First Contact is considered one of the best movies regardless of internet criticism), but significantly darker storylines were pretty iffy on the show. I mean, they could pull off dark, but TNG had a certain tone that they couldn't stray very far from. Case in point: Nemesis.

If you were hoping to see the supporting cast all get their due before coming in for a landing on this shit (Like in, say, All Good Things), you'll be disappointed. Everyone else shows up for a matter of minutes to do nothing in particular and then Riker wrestles with a guy in a dark chamber reminiscent of the Alien series. Everyone deserved better. By the end, you have a wrecked Enterprise, a wrecked crew and a wrecked franchise. Like Nick Van Owen once said: Alright, guys. Let's get the hell outta here.

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Decent Western, usual weaker remake. I much prefer the charm, personality, characters and atmosphere of Seven Samurai. Best thing about this is the score - or actually the kickass classic main theme, because I think it's significantly overscored, at least compared to the Westerns I'm used to.

Apocalypse now.

Well, that was interesting. I first watched this movie six years ago with fellow students as part of an English culture module and seem to remember that I didn’t think much of it at the time, perhaps because it was so old and I was too prejudiced to give it a chance. Tonight, I really liked it. That shouldn’t come as a surprise because the lecturer who showed us the movie was the best one I’ve ever had. It’s hard to say who is better, Marlon Brando or Martin Sheen. The Wagner sequence is, for want of a better word, magnificent and I’m going to have to read up on the Vietnam war tomorrow. I still don’t really understand whose side Kurtz is really on and how he gets everyone to worship him, but that doesn’t really bother me right now. I’m left with a mixture of disgust and exhilaration and I like it.

I’ve also started to appreciate electronic scores lately. The songs were great and I couldn’t have wished for better music to accompany the insanity of war.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Apocalypse now.

I’m going to have to read up on the Vietnam war tomorrow. I still don’t really understand whose side Kurtz is really on and how he gets everyone to worship him, but that doesn’t really bother me right now. I’m left with a mixture of disgust and exhilaration and I like it.

Also do read up on Joseph Conrad's novella Heart of Darkness, which was the major inspiration for Coppola's film. 

11 hours ago, The Original said:

What was with Bradley Cooper's mumbling. He had the same incomprehensible speaking style in American Sniper.

Use subtitles. 

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Apocalypse now.

I didn’t think much of it at the time ... Tonight, I really liked it.

There are two war movies that literally everyone puts in their top 10 but that for some reason don't gel with me, no matter how much I rewatch them:

- Apocalypse Now

- The Thin Red Line

11 minutes ago, xWxzek said:

Why? That's how I got through half of Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Lock, Stock, and Smoking Barrel. That wasn't clearly enunciated English. 

Why can't the English learn how to speak?!