What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I like 2001 for the most part, but the spaceship scenes, in act 2, apart from the shutting down Hal sequence, I find far too slow. I can't pretend to enjoy the middle act. I don't

6 hours ago, publicist said:

I'm not even a real cinephile myself but going by a fairly large circle of acquaintances, many of them working in media & culture, the general taste encompasses everything from Douglas Sirk to Nouvelle Vague movies, D. A. Pennebaker documentaries to, surely, certain blockbusters or Kubrick movies etc. I probably saw more dvd's of 'City of God' covers on dvd racks than '2001', that's for sure.

You can talk yourself down if you want, but I trust a pub evaluation over anyone else's here, even if I only agree with you half of the time (actually it's probably a bit more than that).

Over the years, 2001 has become one of my 5 favorite movies, but there was a time when I preferred Star Wars. You guys would have loved me back then!

8 hours ago, John said:

Hmm, that reminds me of another film you may have heard of...

An Unexpected Journey was a poorly-paced theatrical presentation, no doubts there. Although that film’s story actually begins in earnest within less than 50 minutes, so it’s actually not a good comparison to 2001. That it stalls almost immediately afterwards is a different matter altogether.

You could actually cite Lawrence of Arabia (the first part, at least) as a better comparison. It, too, revels in drawn-out montages of its setting and subsequently takes over an hour for the main story (the quest of Aqaba) to get underway. And yet, it works - for me, at least - better than 2001.

I think the difference is that Lawrence of Arabia sets up a very clear plot and contains a promise of conflict: from the word to, we know Lawrence is heading out to find and aid Faisal and we know this will eventually result in war against the Turks (even if one lived under a rock, the framing device sets this up), so that when Sir David Lean essentially says: “alright, while Lawrence is heading to Faisal, please enjoy seven minutes of desert vistas” we feel like we can afford it.

2001’s narrative, certainly up the Jupiter Mission portion (which is the main story of the film) is too nebulous to maintain my attention over these montages, impressive though they may be.

And, again, 2001 was originally twenty minutes longer still. Surely, that was too much, right?

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I think the difference is that Lawrence of Arabia sets up a very clear plot and contains a promise of conflict

2001: ASO has a clear plot and contains the promise of mystery. An extraterrestrial object shows up, which leads to mankind taking action, which leads to a certain result. 2001: ASO basically tells the same mystery-driven plot three times over, albeit in different places and at different times. 

v1.bTsxMTI5MDk2MDtqOzE4MjIwOzEyMDA7MTUzN

Despite being gobby, populist trash, 'Year of the Dragon' still is tons of fun to watch (Cimino at least knows how to shoot a movie). It's a prototypical mission-movie (a cop takes an impossible stand against the hellhole of organized crime, NYC's Chinatown). It's the kind of movie where every time a patron enters a restaurant, a band of marauders enters with machine guns and kills approximately 100 people for no discernible reason, so it's either prophetic or part of the problem. Take your pick.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

2001: ASO has a clear plot and contains the promise of mystery. An extraterrestrial object shows up, which leads to mankind taking action, which leads to a certain result. 2001: ASO basically tells the same mystery-driven plot three times over, albeit in different places and at different times. 

No, the Floyd section isn’t a repeat of the same story (even though it does feature a Monolith), it’s just setup for the Jupiter Mission. To Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite is the climax of the Jupiter Mission story, rather than some sort of repeat. The Dawn of Man, together with the Floyd section, form a sort of prologue.

The plot of 2001 is hardly clear without being previously informed as to what the Monolith is; and until Dave appears, it’s not particularly character driven, either. And while I suppose the lack of a central character gives the story a sense of expanse, it also makes it too impersonal for my liking.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

The plot of 2001 is hardly clear without being previously informed as to what the Monolith is

It wouldn't be mystery driven movie if we knew from the start what the monolith is. We don't have to know who the murderer is to understand there has been a murder and that he needs to be found. A very simple and clear plot of any murder mystery.

- First act: Apes fight other tribe to survive - monolith appears - monolith apes find a new way to defeat other tribe

- Middle act: Man is at height of abilities - monolith appears - man undertakes mission to Jupiter and fight AI to survive. Man finds way to defeat AI

- Last act: Man at Jupiter - monolith appears - man travels beyond time and space - man defeats itself to become something else

Ordeal - action - reward x 3

37 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

- First act: Apes fight other tribe to survive - monolith appears - monolith apes find a new way to defeat other tribe

- Middle act: Man is at height of abilities - monolith appears - man undertakes mission to Jupiter and fight AI to survive. Man finds way to defeat AI

- Last act: Man at Jupiter - monolith appears - man travels beyond time and space - man defeats itself to become something else

Its more like: Alien Monolith helps hominids evolve to the point of developing tools. Millions of years later, mankind's tools have evolved to the point of breaking away from earth. They discover a second Monolith on the moon, which doesn't make them evolve but is rather placed there as a milestone for mankind, and points towards another Monolith, deep in space, near Jupiter.

Speaking about the Jupiter mission, 2001 is often credited as being adapted from Sir Arthur's short story The Sentinel, but its actually a mish-mash of several of his short stories: The Sentinel is largely analogous to the Floyd section. HAL emerged from another short story, and his inclusion is a setpiece all on its own, rather than something that necessarily ties to the central theme of glorifying human space exploration. Its very much like the actual Odyssey in that regard, or like the individual setpieces on an adventure film.

So, after HAL is vanquished, the Monolith takes man on a trip around the universe, before he's placed in a room (constructed in his imagination) as the aliens who sent the Monolith examine him: Time passes very rapidly for him, before the Monolith allows him to evolve into the Übermensch .

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Its more like: Alien Monolith helps hominids evolve to the point of developing tools. Millions of years later, mankind's tools have evolved to the point of breaking away from earth. They discover a second Monolith on the moon, which doesn't make them evolve but is rather placed there as a milestone for mankind, and points towards another Monolith, deep in space, near Jupiter.

Speaking about the Jupiter mission, 2001 is often credited as being adapted from Sir Arthur's short story The Sentinel, but its actually a mish-mash of several of his short stories: The Sentinel is largely analogous to the Floyd section. HAL emerged from another short story, and his inclusion is a setpiece all on its own, rather than something that necessarily ties to the central theme of glorifying human space exploration. Its very much like the actual Odyssey in that regard, or like the individual setpieces on an adventure film.

So, after HAL is vanquished, the Monolith takes man on a trip around the universe, before he's placed in a room (constructed in his imagination) as the aliens who sent the Monolith examine him: Time passes very rapidly for him, before the Monolith allows him to evolve into the Übermensch .

Ohh now I get it.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

That sounds more like an explanation or interpretation of the film (and one I happen to agree with).

Without really explaining the thoughts behind it, I was merely trying to show that the three acts basically repeat the same thing.

There’s certainly a cyclical nature to the film - with some of recurring elements - but I don’t see it as an anthology with three stories that repeat the same trajectory. It’s clearly one narrative, just with a lot of backstory to wade through first.

Plus, going by that approach, it’s not three stories: it’s four or five. The Dawn of Man, the Floyd section, the Moon landing, the Jupiter Mission, and Beyond the Infinite

Now could someone--anyone, really, don't have anybody specific in mind, anyone at all--explain to me how 2001 and 2010 create an overarching cinematic narrative? Are they two films loosely tied by thematic threads? How is the continuity between them?

Excellent film and a proper clammy drama/thriller. The soundtrack during the breathless climax as Sutherland closes down his ghostly vision is unbearably brilliant.

No way. I just finished watching it myself. 😆

Great mood-building, use of colour, performances. I wasn't really scared but it's haunting. I like that it doesn't entirely reveal itself and leaves plenty room for interpretation. Good stuff.

Karol

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Now could someone--anyone, really, don't have anybody specific in mind, anyone at all--explain to me how 2001 and 2010 create an overarching cinematic narrative? Are they two films loosely tied by thematic threads? How is the continuity between them?

Pfff, that’s a low hanging fruit if ever there was one!

Obviously the omniscient aliens sent a Monolith to Clarke and Kubrick to inspire them to tell the story. But clearly they did so by going backwards in time through the Stargate, after having first inspired Peter Hymas. It was all planned in advance, I tell you! By the aliens!! Which would make Sir Arthur C. Clarke the Star-child!

Really, you should know this by now. Keep up with the conversation, instead of asking that which is readily appear at.

Crazy Rich Asians. Sitting in my hotel room awaiting 6pm to arrive and we'll go eat some italian and onion rings as an app.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I like that it doesn't entirely reveal itself and leaves plenty room for interpretation. Good stuff.

I only found one interpretation (Sutherland has visions of his approaching doom). And he can't escape it. 

Avengers: Endgame

81+Nup8-8NL._SY445_.jpg

This record-breaking blockbuster felt like just another comic book. It didn't jump out above the one before or the one that's coming out next. In fact, it might be one of the weaker ones. When a movie fails to grab you, nothing it shows makes really impact. And isn't that why we watch movies? To feel something? 5/10

16 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Am I the only one in the world who hasn't seen Endgame? I got the impression recently that only true connoisseurs of cinema can truthfully make such a claim. 

yoda-advice-i-cannot-teach-him-1.jpg

You will see it. You WILL see it!

10 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Avengers: Endgame

81+Nup8-8NL._SY445_.jpg

This record-breaking blockbuster felt like just another comic book. It didn't jump out above the one before or the one that's coming out next. In fact, it might be one of the weaker ones. When a movie fails to grab you, nothing it shows makes really impact. And isn't that why we watch movies? To feel something? 5/10

Yeah ... for something so long it's surprisingly light on action and out of the 3 characters that 'go', I knew about the contracts of 2 of the actors ending with this film so no surprises there (and the remaining one failed to move me). 

It's not terrible, by any means. But Infinity War was better.