What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Just now, SteveMc said:

Marvel movies.  Never seen one.  Will probably look at them in 20 years to see how they aged.

You can tell everyone then that you like old movies. 

True Grit (2010)

Trust the Coen Bros. to adapt a John Wayne classic and turn it into a fairly memorable but not particularly endearing venture with plenty of fun dialogue and a solid cast. It's a far cry from being a bullseye, but I was satisfied all in all. 

*** out of ****

The Phantom Thread (2017)

A deft and settled first half erupts into a dramatic display of confrontational energy, captivating in the complicated relationship of a demanding dress designer and his model love interest. For a film keen on fashionable beauty and gorgeous costumes, naturally, our centre of attention is quite an ugly juxtaposition, examining the troubled and dysfunctional relationship between two people as they struggle to cope with one another's intricacies. Simply broiling performances from Daniel Day-Lewis and Vicky Krieps. The peaks of their respective performances are commendable. 

**** out of ****

After that biggie, the epicathon goes on a tiny break...

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Well, that was just... immensely... pleasant, yeah, that's the good word to describe it.

Ghostbusters (1984).

It took a while before I was enjoying it and another 30 minutes before I turned it off. Didn't really like Harold Ramis and Rick Moranis. Also thought it was way too far-fetched and the attitude towards women bothered me. Poor Sigourney Weaver: what a stupid role, no wonder she sounded even more bored than usual.

This was my second Elmer Bernstein score and Far from Heaven was much better. Now I know what inspired Danny Elfman when he wrote Beetlejuice. Liked the cheerful bits, but nothing beats the songs.

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Ghostbusters (1984).

It took a while before I was enjoying it and another 30 minutes before I turned it off. Didn't really like Harold Ramis and Rick Moranis. Also thought it was way too far-fetched and the attitude towards women bothered me. Poor Sigourney Weaver: what a stupid role, no wonder she sounded even more bored than usual.

This was my second Elmer Bernstein score and Far from Heaven was much better. Now I know what inspired Danny Elfman when he wrote Beetlejuice. Liked the cheerful bits, but nothing beats the songs.

Sounds like the remake might be more your thing, which would put you in a very select group lol.  

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Nice looking, stylish and pleasant again, but kind of tiringly cutesy and quirky for me, I think. Cimbalom+balalaika is a nice touch for the score!

2 hours ago, Holko said:

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Nice looking, stylish and pleasant again, but kind of tiringly cutesy and quirky for me

I know what you mean. It was good, but a bit too "look how hard I'm trying to be idiosyncratic".

I tried to watch Good Morning Vietnam a few hours ago but turned it off my God I can't stand this hyperactive barrage of lame jokes seriously I thought Family Guy was exaggerating when they imitated Robin Williams but they were spot on so I re-watched Harry Potter 3 instead still like it a lot and noticed more score edits in the movie this time.

8 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

There's some real film exploration for you – take a few baby steps from your comfort zone, then get scared off back to re-watching some HP flick for the 190th time.

I watch plenty of movies and like plenty of them, just made the wrong choices this week.

20 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I tried to watch Good Morning Vietnam a few hours ago but turned it off my God I can't stand this hyperactive barrage of lame jokes seriously I thought Family Guy was exaggerating when they imitated Robin Williams but they were spot on so I re-watched Harry Potter 3 instead still like it a lot and noticed more score edits in the movie this time.

Believe me; in 1987, it was hilarious.

It still is, actually, especially when one realises that the monologues are ad-libbed.

Most poignant line: "What if it escalated?".

Funniest line: "You're in more dire need of a blow job, than any other white man, in history".

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

If it was ad-libbed, it's certainly very impressive. I just couldn't stand it yesterday evening.

Maybe you weren't in the mood. It really is one of Levinson's very best. Come back to it, in a few weeks' time.

The Witch

All the talk a few pages back got me interested. Properly terrifying in its imagery, but felt a bit thin ultimately. Never been a fan of horror films though, so the fact that I didn’t hate it is a solid plus in my book. Netflix compression was down right awful on this one. Zero detail in the blacks, which this film had many. Made me wish I watched it on blu-ray. 

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

The Witch

All the talk a few pages back got me interested. Properly terrifying in its imagery, but felt a bit thin ultimately. Never been a fan of horror films though, so the fact that I didn’t hate it is a solid plus in my book. Netflix compression was down right awful on this one. Zero detail in the blacks, which this film had many. Made me wish I watched it on blu-ray. 

It looks great on BD!

Jurassic Park.

I waited six years to re-watch it. Spared no expense and forgot a lot of details in the process. Laura Dern was great except for the 'something's wrong' chanting, but I found Richard Attenborough rather annoying. I also don't really understand Dennis. Did he want to endanger or kill everyone in the park? The pacing is mostly very good, however, and the dinosaurs sound fantastic. Tim started out as an annoying kid, but both he and Lex grew on me once things got underway, although the science is obviously a bit problematic and the ending too optimistic.

What surprised me the most about the score is how perfect it’s in tune with every emotion we're supposed to feel, and it obviously has great themes. I was also very impressed with the incredible choral music playing over the birth of the velociraptor. So why did I have to learn today of all days that John Williams once threw a chair at a cellist? Now my perfect little bubble in which I could unconditionally admire him has burst. Oh well, I’m sure life will find a way.

I just watched The Lake House.

I don't understand this film at all. She's living in 2006, he's living in 2004. They want to meet for real, so they make a date for two years in the future, and he's waiting for two years, and she's sitting at the table ... but if he waits two years, wouldn't she be two years in the Future still, because both are waiting for two years? In the future, she is expecting him to come, yet in the very next scene, he's two years in the past, surprised he didn't come to the date two years in the future. What? 

I couldn't even concentrate on the film because it appears to be utter nonsense to me.