What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

11 hours ago, Jay said:

The most important prior movies that Endgame references most heavily are:

Captain America 1 (The First Avenger)

Avengers 1 (The Avengers)

Thor 2 (The Dark World)

Guardians of the Galaxy 1

Thor 3 (Raganarok)

Avengers 3 (Infinity War)

other movies that set up important things in Endgame

Captain America 2 (Winter Soldier)

Avengers 2 (Age of Ultron)

Captain America 3 (Civil War)

Doctor Strange

Ant-man and the Wasp

other movies that wouldn't be a bad idea to watch before Endgame

Iron Man 1

Thor 1

Ant-man

the MCU movies that are the LEAST important to see before Endgame

Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Spider-man Homecoming

Black Panther

Captain Marvel

Solid list.

I still need to see Ant-man And The Wasp, the 2 Spider-Man ones and Captain Marvel.

It seems the success and popularity of Black Panther, particularly in regards to its progressive accomplishments, has bothered some posters.

The more you know about people, huh.

The lost world: Jurassic park.

I somehow seemed to remember this movie was much more boring than Jurassic Park, but now I really liked it. I might even say it's just as good, or even better, than the original and only briefly lost interest after 90 minutes. Luckily, Richard Attenborough's screen time is limited here, Goldblum and Moore are fantastic and I had forgotten all about Pete Postlethwaite while Vince Vaughn certainly didn't disappoint either, but Ludlow wanting to kill humans really wasn't convincing at all. I did like the humour and might even warm up to Jurassic Park III.

It's difficult to review the score. I didn't like it on album except for a few cues, but there's no doubt it works in the film (where did The Hunt go, though?) and there's some really lazy tracking of the main theme going on throughout the entire story. And on the subject of themes, I didn't need the upbeat island fanfare when Ian announced he was going to rescue Sarah and during the credits either: its mood is completely inappropriate.

As you all know, The Lost World is my favorite one. It delivered exactly the type of Jurassic Parkian movie I wanted. I saw Congo a couple years prior and thought, you know, this sort of thing would be cool crossed with Jurassic Park. A bunch of guys with guns smoking cigarettes and having to fend for their lives together against creatures in the jungle.

It still feels more serious and obviously 1000% better made than everything that came after in this franchise. A very badass testosterone-fueled flick with some expertly staged scenes of action and suspense reminding us why Spielberg was the best at what he did. Julianne Moore is also great and really carries the female side of things a hell of a lot better than Ellie Sattler. 

Later movies seemed to pander more to kids or a family audience and they just fucken suck.

All the screens of the big classic theaters in Antwerp were large sized. Then came The Calypso, which was our first modern movie theatre. It had 3 or 4 rooms in the same building (which was unheard of at the time), modern seats, and sadly, smallish screens. 

calypso-trends.jpg

Cool!

Iron Man 2.

This is weird. The plot is unwieldy and inelegant. But all the characters are great. Tony is at his most unhinged and Mickey Rourke is ridiculously charismatic. And Sam Rockwell makes what would be a stock villain role super awesome. (There's a weird genius behind putting Ivan and Justin together) 
I have no idea what the plot is about. It doesn't matter. Its nonsense anyway. This is early MCU though. And it somehow feels more "grounded" than lets say Avengers: Endgame. Its easy to forget that in his own films, Tony mostly fought other business moguls. 
Favreau as a director seems to have a beat on this stuff. I'm actually surprised he only did 2.

I recently watched Minority Report too, after not having seen it since theaters and was kinda surprised by how much I liked it still (I liked it in 2002 very much as well).  I really like the look and feel of the film, you kind of instantly sink into the world it sets up.  Nice story too, with good acting, set design, special effects, and score!

Witwer is a bit too annoying. He's actually a good guy but so much for that 3/4 of the way through the movie! But it's like Spielberg was telling him to be more annoying and grin more and chew his gum louder for the first hour.

It's a good flick though. It has Peter Stormare.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Agatha's monologue about the life Sean could have had, and the parents' reaction to it, followed by the whiplash of "RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN" is just one of the most intense and memorable scenes of any Spielberg movie.  It's still the part I first think of when I think of Minority Report.

This.

In combination with the blaring Williams brass aleatorics that follows...absolute chills...

1 hour ago, KK said:

This.

In combination with the blaring Williams brass aleatorics that follows...absolute chills...

The juxtaposition of the quietly heartbreaking rendition of Sean’s Theme with the nightmarish chaos.  Williams at the top of his game in terms of his complete mastery of the orchestra.

4 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

Witwer is a bit too annoying. He's actually a good guy but so much for that 3/4 of the way through the movie! But it's like Spielberg was telling him to be more annoying and grin more and chew his gum louder for the first hour.

It's a good flick though. It has Peter Stormare.

I love that he’s just subtlety chewing gum throughout the whole movie. 

Never scratch!

Also love the bit of Williams music as Anderton drops his eyes down the hall. 

Never gelled with Minority Report. Everything feels too contrived to me, so therefore the movie fails to pull me in, nor do I care for anything that is going on. The ending where the baddie is being exposed before the eyes of the entire world makes it clear that this movie is simply not my cup of tea. I had a very similar feeling while watching Ready Player One.  

His 'recent' sci-fi movies lack humanity. Underneath the spectacle, he somehow can't make it human. He sometimes tries too (like a depressed Tom Cruise watching holographic movies of his wife), but again, it doesn't feel authentic or honest, but rather contrived. 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I had a very similar feeling while watching Ready Player One.  

I actually find Ready Player One more compelling than I thought I would. But then, from the looks of the trailer, I thought I'd absolutely loathe it.

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The juxtaposition of the quietly heartbreaking rendition of Sean’s Theme with the nightmarish chaos.

An unexpected transition that he wanted to spare us on album.

15 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Spielberg's a crappy futurist.

No he's not; not in terms of government surveillance, and continued invasion/erosion of privacy. Someone who knows your future actions before you do, and can detain you indefinitely before you've taken those actions?

That's bloody terrifying! 

The fact is, MINORITY REPORT is far too subtle, deep, and multilayered, for most people.

It's one of my top 4 Spielberg films.