What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The most underrated Polanski film is Pirates though. Everyone seems to hate it; I think it's brilliant, even if it runs out of steam towards the end. Great score, utterly fantastic Walter Matthau, and I'm pretty sure it was a strong influence on Monkey Island - it basically has a Guybrush character, and that's not the only parallel.

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The most underrated Polanski film is Pirates though. Everyone seems to hate it; I think it's brilliant, even if it runs out of steam towards the end. 

So what are people not getting? 

11 hours ago, John said:

You thought Grand Budapest Hotel was too crude, but you’re fine with a movie about a woman having sex with a fish man?

You know, John, despite the contradictory element of my post, I'm really quite tired with your continuous habit of taking issue with what I have to say in a condescending manner. It puzzles me, and if I've said something in the past that bothers you about me in general pray tell.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The most underrated Polanski film is Pirates though. Everyone seems to hate it; I think it's brilliant, even if it runs out of steam towards the end. Great score, utterly fantastic Walter Matthau, and I'm pretty sure it was a strong influence on Monkey Island - it basically has a Guybrush character, and that's not the only parallel.

I've never seen the movie, but I've been inside one of the ships they used for filming. Is docked at the Genova harbour

Also interesting to note of a personal connection- much of The Shape of Water was shot in my hometown and just down the road in Toronto. I first noticed this when I saw Hamilton's City Hall in one of the scenes (albeit not the best photo here):

Image result for the shape of water locations hamilton city hall"Image result for hamilton city hall

I had heard that they had filmed here sometime prior to watching, but had forgotten until I saw the recognizable building.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

You know, John, despite the contradictory element of my post, I'm really quite tired with your continuous habit of taking issue with what I have to say in a condescending manner. It puzzles me, and if I've said something in the past that bothers you about me in general pray tell.

Is that John Williams?

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I've never seen the movie, but I've been inside one of the ships they used for filming. Is docked at the Genova harbour

Then it has to be a good movie.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Pirates is rightfully low rated. Death and the Maiden is the hidden gem.

The nutcracker and the four realms.

I chose this one after turning off Chicago and Minions. I don’t really know what to say now. I really liked most of it, but lost interest during the final battle because the ending felt unnecessarily rushed and they could have given Sugarplum Fairy a much better backstory. Also, Jayden Fowora-Knight has a real articulation problem and Keira Knightley is amazing.

The score was the main reason I ended up watching it and it was, of course, amazing. The music isn’t just fantastic, the reverb makes it even more wonderful. My only complaint is that they didn’t find more time to play the march, the trepak Russian Dance and the Dance of the Reed Pipes. And, wait, the credits have a song? Time to turn it off.

To Rome With Love

One of those vignette movies but I kinda dug it. I haven't seen a Woody flick this absurd since Bananas, and I loved that movie! There are so many babes in this movie, I had to go and search for pics of them afterward!

24 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Why do people seem to excuse Roman Polanski being a sex fiend?

I don't know about anyone excusing him, but I believe there is a way to separate the art from the artist.

What about all of the films Harvey Weinstein produced, are you going to boycott them, and if we watch them we're "excusing" his actions?

12 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I was being sarcastic. You really need to grow a thicker skin. 

And when was the last time I’ve ever interacted with you on these boards? I’m not the boogieman, Jerry, I’m not out to get you. 

5 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Why do people seem to excuse Roman Polanski being a sex fiend?

If only he said "fake news" or "witch hunt' back then, he would still be making movies in Hollywood today.

44 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

He's too mild mannered. Ya gotta be tough and just deny everything.

Or normalize it. "So what? We Hollywood celebrities do it all the time. Get over it!"

LBJ (2016)

It's not that there's not potential in a cinematic account of Lydon B. Johnson's assumption of presidency prior to the assassination of John F. Kennedy, but it'd certainly take some effort to make it worthwhile. Perhaps it's just been one too many tiresome American political dramas for me, which are certainly not incapable of being good movies, but often misconstrue the difference between an easy to work with story and a story that's worth telling just because it can be told. I never quite got used to Woody Harrelson's prosthetics; they looked awkward. / 5

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)

Another top tier Woody Allen com-drama that strikes a balance between trademark circumstances (see affairs, family issues, career aspirations) and an underlying philosophical core. Allen's witty one liners are present but more subdued. I loved the Jewish professor, the source of morality and doctrine. 4 / 5

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Feeling masochistic? You may enjoy this haphazard attempt to create a sequel to the lowly Man of Steel, an introduction for a "darker" Dark Knight, and an attached-with-a-paper-clip tease of Wonder Woman. Masquerading the title of Batman v. Superman, the pair fight for all but eight minutes in the bloated, incomprehensible action style we've come to expect from DC. As soon as they get over their ridiculous maternal coincidence, it becomes a regular face palm fest, filled with cliché, discomforting noises from Lex Luthor, and a near unwatchable climax. My guilty pleasures were: seeing Batman nail Superman with a sink, Batman fighting Lex's henchmen in the warehouse, and...naw, that's it. 1.5 / 5

The Death of Stalin (2017)

Curious dark comedy about the power struggle between Russian ministers after Stalin's death. A few decent laughs. Christopher Willis' score is simply the best- any fan of classical music, particularly that of Russian composers, ought to give it a listen. It so perfectly channels the sound and style Shostakovich, with slight nuances of Rachmaninoff and such, whilst maintaining originality and individuality. 3 / 5

Magic In The Moonlight

Yeah nah, not one of Woody's strongest. But it wasn't all unpleasant, it was photographed rather nicely. Overall it felt like an old Hollywood flick, which I kinda liked. But what was the message of this film? Stop and smell the flowers? I've had my own real hard life lessons to teach me that!

The Silence of the Lambs.

When I saw this in the 90s (I hadn't seen it since) I became obsessed with it and must have watched it half a dozen times. I thought it was so good and I idolised Anthony Hopkins for years after.

Surprisingly, it's now corny and melodramatic as hell, feeling and looking like a Hallmark movie; the wall to wall "anxious" underscore adds to this,  Shore largely succeeds in embedding a strong sense of momentum and mood into the scenes, but it's overwrought and loud. There is no subtlety to it, which brings me on to Anthony Hopkins, who is about as hammy as they come as Hannibal Lecter, in what stands out to me now as being an extremely stagy and pseudo-intellectual presentation - performance and film. Jodie Foster saves it however, acquitting herself very well in what was basically a great scene chewing exercise for Hopkins (and the Prison warden).

I enjoyed it, it's still and entertaining movie. But sophisticated or "grown up" it ain't.

In the end, Seven is probably the better manhunt film of the two (I never used to think that). 

I don't really get Lee's criticism of Anthony Hopkins. He's an iconic supervillain type, the best kind who's ludicrously over-the-top, somehow charmingly sympathetic in a creepy way when he's not murdering people and just milking every moment of screen time. He was awesome!

14 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Stop and smell the flowers? I've had my own real hard life lessons to teach me that!

So it's realistic and relatable?

I cherish going to Dismember the Alamo every year for many reasons, one being that I sometimes question if my horror fanaticism has lead me to a point where I've seen every worthwhile horror movie ever made. I know that is truly unlikely to happen for a very, very long time, but it's splendid to get that confirmation via a party where you gather around with other enthusiasts and watch this stuff together for an entire day, with only 15-minute intermissions in-between each movie as your means of necessary rest.

Spasms (1983) was the opener. Probably the least interessssssting of the batch, especially as it wasss ssssuch a ssssslow sssstarter. Peter Fonda's presence in this thing was surreal. The snake was pretty gnarly (see my current avatar!), there was one genuinely fantastic attack sequence that's worth preserving, and the Tangerine Dream music was welcome. I had heard of this one before, hadn't seen it until tonight and while I probably wasn't missing much on the whole, I'm glad I got a good helping of snake action.

Centipede Horror (1982) was next. I was confident that surely I will have at least heard of all these movies presented tonight. The hosts of this program informed us they were going for a consistent creepy-crawly theme, right? All movies revolving around snakes or bugs in some way? Yeah, they'll probably show The Fly (original or remake), or Mosquito, or Night of the Creeps, or.....what the hell is Centipede Horror!? Unlike the last one, this is slow to start, but EARNS it. It pays off, folks. Once this movie decides it's done dawdling, it goes absolutely goddang bonkers, hits the gas pedal, goes full speed ahead, and does not stop until it has found every way to baffle and disgust you in equal measure.Absolutely going to be a future stream show one of these days, I simply must share this revolting madness! Girls vomiting up centipedes is the least strange thing to happen in this motion picture.

Next up was Squirm (1976), a film I've seen before when it was on Mst3k, so this was my chance to take a break and go outside for a walk. I came back here and there, as I do like this one and it's probably the only Mst3k-ed film I can think of that I'd easily watch without riffing. Also fun to see it uncut for the first time (the Mst3k-ed version cuts out a couple of the bloodier shots), when up until now I was accustomed to not seeing whatever became of the mother!

Next was The Bite (1989), first released as "Curse II: The Bite" so it could be advertised as a sequel to a movie called Curse despite having no plot or thematic connection. It's basically another one of those transformation movies I've seen dozens of times and have gotten burned out on since they're always structurally the same. They're usually werewolf movies, centered around a dude that gets bitten by something, will slowly turn into whatever it is they were bitten by all while their helpless girlfriend/wife can only plead and declare their undying love "I just wanna help you" yadda yadda and guy's always all vague and ominous and all "it's inside me, get away from me, or it'll get you too" and not bothering to elaborate and thus making him just look hysterical. I think I'm just tired of that particular story for awhile in horror. BUT, there was plenty here to keep my attention. One, the offending biter in question was a snake, so this is in fact a....were-snake outing. So, our lead dude turns into a snake?...well, more like his bitten arm slowly transforms into a snake. Quite a wacky variation that sure as heck earned my attention (and the audience's laughter), not to mention the bizarre colorful cast of supporting characters that have no reason to be as compelling as they are given that most of them are maimed about as quickly as they're introduced (intensely unhinged car mechanic, traveling salesman that starts off the obnoxious sleaze you assume will be killed off only for him to somehow end up as the film's hero by the climax, deeply religious man with Swedish accents so ridiculous Wally Walrus would be proud). And, uh....I was kind of sort of perhaps ended up infatuated and smitten with the lead madame of this picture. She was a darling and I'll probably go on to look up her filmography and commit her name to memory. I hope she isn't on FB much, and I'd rather the lady not come across this. :S
...oh no, she's been in several other horror movies...I'm going to end up watching all of them, aren't I?
Uh, anyway, e'yup, lovely day! Great day! Fun movies!...and uh, perty lady. Jill Shoelen?...how do I pronounce that last name?..Shoe-len? Sho-eh-len?...not that I need to know, because, yeah, I have no reason to obtain that information, so I will not seek clarification. Absolutely not. Good day and goodnight to all of you! This is such a great night to NOT look at pictures of a pretty actress and NOT look up her other movies, isn't it? What a glorious night to avoid that aforementioned perverted activity!

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sky, ocean, closeup and outdoor

Oh, and uh, the last movie was Slither, but I walked out. Both because I was really tired (it's a long drive and wanted to be as awake as I could for the trip home) and because I know cats are among this movie's bodycount, which earns a 'nope, goodbye' from me. I liked what I heard of Tyler Bates' score though. He's better off with horror than he is with superheroes.