What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

6 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

A Good Day to Die Hard

Wtf. I couldn't follow anything in this wreck. Let this be a warning not to make a fifth Indy flick.

Amen!

Vox Lux

What a strange movie. I kinda liked it. Masterful shocker of an opening gives way to a dark and disturbing story of fame and mental breakdown that's compelling to watch. Natalie Portman gives her best Harley Quinn impersonation - she's actually really entertaining in this! What an appropriately campy performance of such a broken ghastly grotesque. Ending's a bit disappointing though, so the script obviously needed work.

Taxi Driver

Anyone else love that pin-sharp, high contrast look of these gritty, dark and disturbing 70s flicks? Anyhoo it was about time I finally saw this. DeNiro really seems like some uncomfortable types I've been around, real scary dude. I wasn't expecting such a (relatively) happy ending though.

Seen it in theatres in the 70s. Never seen a good home video copy (was this filmed on cheap stock?). Herrmann's score works incredible in this film. 

Dune (1984)

This may be the worst movie I have yet seen from a viewer's perspective.  Especially because it so obviously is an attempt at something good.  I do kind of admire the space Ben-Hur pretensions this one has, but, frankly, nothing about it works.  It is very confusing and awful to look at most of the time.  Toto score has its merits.

1.5/4

The Accidental Tourist 

Just okay.  I can't help but feel that the subject and story is taken too seriously for what it is.  Makes the movie feel pompous and makes Geena Davis's performance (not really a fan of it) feel out of place much of the time. Third act is underwhelming.  Williams's score is pleasant. but repetitive.  

2.5/4

Play Misty For Me - Clint Eastwood goes with a 'Hell hath no fury ... ' theme for his directorial debut, as his night-time radio DJ finds himself stalked by an increasingly unhinged female fan after they sleep together. Enjoyable psycho-thriller that foreshadows the likes of Fatal Attraction.  

26 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Dune (1984)

This may be the worst movie I have yet seen from a viewer's perspective.  Especially because it so obviously is an attempt at something good.  I do kind of admire the space Ben-Hur pretensions this one has, but, frankly, nothing about it works.  It is very confusing and awful to look at most of the time.  Toto score has its merits.

1.5/4

The gripping thing here isn't the battle between the two parties in the movie, but the battle between the director and the producer. You can really feel the tug war while watching.

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Dune (1984)

1.5/4

The Accidental Tourist 

Just okay.  I can't help but feel that the subject and story is taken too seriously for what it is.  Makes the movie feel pompous and makes Geena Davis's performance (not really a fan of it) feel out of place much of the time. Third act is underwhelming.  Williams's score is pleasant. but repetitive.  

2.5/4

It's interesting how a film (or, in this case, two films) can cause diametrically opposed opinions. For me, both DUNE, and THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST are 5/5 films, but for different reasons.

DUNE has not been out of my top-5 films, for almost 35 years. It's cinematic art, and I'd happily pay a lot of money, to see a fully reconstructed and extended, version.

THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, on the other hand, grew on me, over the years. If it has one fault, it's that it stuck too closely to the novel. It's still a fine film.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's interesting how a film (or, in this case, two films) can cause diametrically opposed opinions. For me, both DUNE, and THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST are 5/5 films, but for different reasons.

And HOW can this BEEEEE?

I don’t like The Accidental Tourist either.  It felt like it kind of wanted to be more of a comedy skewering the annoying weirdo characters but it had a dour suffocating atmosphere instead.  Both insufferable and dull.  I enjoy the soundtrack of course.

18 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It was a snoozefest. William Hurt is so boring.

I would say that Hurt has a very specific energy that certain stories and directors have used to great effect.  I like Hurt in Dark City, AI Artificial Intelligence, and of course Broadcast News. 

21 hours ago, SteveMc said:

... awful to look at most of the time.

As in bad cinematography? Terribly designed sets? Poor lighting? Outdated FX?

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

As is bad cinematography? Terribly designed sets? Poor lighting? Outdated FX?

Everything just looks like a boring fever dream.  And every single scene where the villains are in are unbearable.  Disgusting prosthetics, ugly costumes, sets that look like they forgot to add effects to the green screen, and the camera lingers for no good reason on these things.

Plus, why did Lynch think it was a good idea to show that Baron guy lusting after his winged speedo wearing nephew Sting?  

I just think the movie is a mess.  No charm, no charisma.  Flat acting.  And the constant voice overs do things no favors.

But, I can see why some would think otherwise.  It is immersive in a way.  While the lead performance is sorely lacking in dynamics, I will acknowledge that Paul's character arc is rather well-defined.

Lynch admits it was too big for him to handle. In fact, that's what he said to the producers when they ask him to make Dune: Why come to me? This is more like Lucas or Spielberg material.

A lot of people do like the unique look of the film.

17 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Everything just looks like a boring fever dream.  And every single scene where the villains are in are unbearable.  Disgusting prosthetics, ugly costumes, sets that look like they forgot to add effects to the green screen, and the camera lingers for no good reason on these things.

Plus, why did Lynch think it was a good idea to show that Baron guy lusting after his winged speedo wearing nephew Sting?  

I just think the movie is a mess.  No charm, no charisma.  Flat acting.  And the constant voice overs do things no favors.

These details match my vague memories of it. The film was like a lucid marionette fantasy where the puppets are played by actual human beings.

14 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

A lot of people do like the unique look of the film.

There's no film that looks like Dune, that's for sure.

The problem is that the film has almost zero momentum. Or intrigue. The opening narration pretty much gives away the plot to kill Duke Leto straight away for instance.

Well what do you know! There's a youtube channel with Western movies (full versions) that appeared in my recommendations with My Name Is Nobody in HD. I checked the first scene (very Leone) and I must say, the quality was pretty good. It's the German restoration, BTW.

8989_1.jpg

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

There's also a YouTube channel called The Simpsons that has episodes of The Simpsons split into 4 segments. Fuck Disney Plus.

The Simpsons has always been like that on YouTube.  It's a pain in the ass to watch the show online unless you use the shitty FXnow app.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Bad Taste

Peter Jackson’s best movie!  A great comedy!

I was so excited to watch it for the first time recently and was pretty disappointed. It’s just hacky, boring. Braindead is wayyyyy more fun. Still gotta see Meet the Feebles.

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I was so excited to watch it for the first time recently and was pretty disappointed. It’s just hacky, boring. Braindead is wayyyyy more fun. Still gotta see Meet the Feebles.

0C537F44-5F6B-453D-9E0F-CAC0EB907FD2.gif

Just rewatched Aquaman last night on HBO, after watching it on the theater last December.

The movie is visually wonderful and spectacularly colourful. It's great that, after years of DC movies with a dour and depressing colour pallette (from the Nolan trilogy to the Snyder movies, and even stuff like Wonder Woman), we have a film that's actually inventive, beautiful to look at and unabashedly bonkers. There's a huge sea monster destroying underwater ships, an octopus playing drums, sharks being used as a weapon to devour the enemies... And, of course, the main protagonist, a guy that can talk to fish, in a charismatic performance by Jason "Khal Drogo" Momoa.

The action and fight scenes, although a bit "Snyder-y", are well filmed by James Wan, and clear enough that you can actually understand what's happening, instead of just being a chaotic CGI fest.

It's great to have a comic book movie so proudly exaggerated and colourful. Even Avengers: Endgame, great as it is, put its final confrontation (the last battle for the fate of the whole universe!) on a depressingly brown and uninventive scenario.

The script, however, is not good, with a few cliched dialogues and lots of exposition. The movie tries to put so much lore into its 140-minute duration, it almost feel like a whole season of Game of Thrones condensed into a movie. 

Also, it's probably the most overscored movie of last year. Rupert Gregson-Williams' music is almost non-stop, and the score goes from epic orchestra and choir to electronic to rock and roll - sometimes even on the same cue. At least scores llike Thor: Ragnarok and Tron: Legacy (its most obvious inspirations) were more coherent. 

But, anyway, I wished to see this same style of visual bonkers applied to a Green Lantern movie (my favorite super-hero) or a Justice League movie (my favorite super-hero team), but GL is now becoming a series by the same creator of that horrible Arrowverse shows, and who knows when they're going to try something with JL again?

Avengers: Endgame

As entertaining and satisfying as this was, I still can't shake off how much I prefer Infinity War, a film that has significantly more cohesion and momentum than the new flick. I suppose it often feels that way with end-of-season two-parters in television, where the penultimate act is more exciting than the main course? Maybe that's why everyone else hated the Game of Thrones finale so much, because the suspenseful build-up and battles happened in the previous episodes? And they couldn't bring themselves to realise the finale was really an epilogue? Who knows? But whatevs, unless Marvel pulls off a miracle in its next phase, this might be the last entry I buy on disc, since an ending's an ending.

I'm not nuts for Infinity War or anything, but I think its by far the superior film. The action sequences are all much better than that final battle in Endgame, and it doesn't presume to be a concluding chapter while also containing sequel-bait.

Like you say, and ending's an ending. Phase 4 is a shame.