What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Shop Around the Corner (1940; Lubitsch)

This movie is completely perfect in every possible way.  Utterly wonderful.

I’d change this list a bit now (I’d pick something to take out and put a John Ford movie in there now) but The Shop Around the Corner is definitely still one of my 21 favorite movies.

Pet Sematary (2019)

I remember my session of Avengers Endgame was on a crowded theater on a saturday afternoon. There was a few young kids on the theater. Before the movie, we watched the trailers for some kid-friendly movies like MIB International, Aladdin and Detective Pikachu... and also for John Wick 3 and this movie. Later, I had fun with my friends that came with me imagining the parents having to deal with their kids traumatized by the trailer, which was fun.

But then, after watching the actual movie, I seriously regret having watched the trailer at all.

The marketing for the movie spoiled a major event that happens almost an hour into the movie (which is 97 minutes long, not counting the credits) and focused mostly on the third act. I get it, they have to sell (a lot of) movie tickets, however, it would've been better if they haven't spoiled that particular event - and no, I didn't read King's novel or watched the 1989 movie before this one.

Anyway, this movie is obviously influenced by these "elevated horror" movies focusing on family dramas that critics love talking about, and I'm thankful for that, because it saves the movie from becoming another generic horror flick. The end result is a mix between stuff like The Babadook or Hereditary, but with the jumpscares and cliches associated with Hollywood blockbuster horror films (like It or The Conjuring series).

The third act is almost like a slasher movie. It reminded me of a reverse spin of the also based on King's novel The Shining.

So, yeah, this has something for everybody. But, if you don't know anything about the story, make sure to watch this with less information as possible, it'll help you appreciate it more.

On this very same thread, people posted reviews of movies that came out a few months ago.

I'm new here, but what I understood is that this thread is for movies that are already on home video/streaming or older, and the Newer Films thread are for movies currently playing on theaters (or, at least, that came out on Netflix a few weeks ago).

Iron Man

Not as funny as I remember, and therefore not Marvel's best, but its fun. In watching it, its readily appearant that its just not the first episode in some sprawling "Infinity Saga." Its a completely seperate episode, that just happens to set up characters that are important to that film.

Tony remains one of the best characters in recent memory: larger-than-life and relatable all the same. Unfortunately, his tragic arc is completely unsupported by this film (or its immediate sequels) which posit Stark as a comic hero, rather than a tragic one.

The final battle is kind of a letdown, but the stinger at the end (before the credits) makes up for it in my mind.

****1/2 out of *****

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

On this very same thread, people posted reviews of movies that came out a few months ago.

I'm new here, but what I understood is that this thread is for movies that are already on home video/streaming or older, and the Newer Films thread are for movies currently playing on theaters (or, at least, that came out on Netflix a few weeks ago).

It's not a rule that's ever enforced. It's just Richard pretending to have a hissy fit over a semantics molehill.

What is the last film I watched?

Over the years, I have watched this film many, many times. I've seen it at the cinema, on television, on VHS, on DVD, on demand, and on Blu Ray.

I have long since given up trying to say sentient, intelligent, and objective things, about this film, so I will say simply this: last night, I watched

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

MV5BMTU2MTkwMzM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjA0

Two not-so-great friends decide to do The Appalachian Trail, which is 2200 miles long. This bittersweet comedy feels a bit forced but still manages to be sympathetic. Redford is still good at 'underplaying' his acting which balances the 'overplaying' nature of the film. 6/10

a-walk-in-the-woods-image3-699.jpg

See how they walk, and walk, and walk.

Dark City - visually striking blend of fantasy and film noir. With Rufus Sewell, Richard O'Brien and William Hurt. 

Raiders Of The Lost Ark - there's probs nothing new to say about this action-adventure classic. Fun, fun, fun. 

MV5BZmM3NmI4ODUtYWIzYy00NTdhLWI1NGQtMTUz

In 1931 Canada, Yukon trapper Johnson has a feud with a dog owner who later retaliates by publicly accusing Johnson of murder and thus triggering a mob manhunt in the wilderness. Straightforward bait-and-chase movie - Bronson is delightful in a 10 words only role that only Schwarzenegger could perfect later - that is watchable for its breathtaking mountain backdrop (it was filmed round Alberta) and Bronson and Lee Marvin being in it. 

film.jpg

Good acting is the only thing that saves this film. Not that everything else is bad, but unless you are a Franklin D Roosevelt maniac, it's simply not very intriguing. I was impressed with the sound of the Blu-ray. 6/10 

The Rock - hugely enjoyable slam-bang actioner, from a time before Michael Bay's overblown directorial style had worn thin and before Nic Cage would just agree to be in any old crap. Also features Mr Connery in a sort of 'pensioner Bond' part and Ed Harris as a disillusioned military veteran who's the 'big bad'.

Yeah, it's fine in The Rock when his career was still in its relative infancy. But by the time we get to the Transformers flicks the 'EVERYTHING LOUDER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE, ALL THE TIME!!!' thing is just wearying.      

Justice League (2017)

The masochistic DC run continues! This week, watch the poor man's Avengers team up to fight the late 60's rock band Steppenwolf, a baseless character with shallow auto-generated dialogue. Probably the worst one yet. Also, did Elfman ask to use his Batman theme? 1 / 5

Annihilation (2018)

I was bored. Next! 2 / 5

American Sniper (2014)

Eastwood's best movie of the decade probably. Well developed examination of the impacts of traumatic experiences. The modern combat scenes are probably the most notable achievements. I though Bradley Cooper was good in this. 4.5 / 5

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)

Give us more! Spielberg's steps into his adventurous self for his most Raiders-esque movie since Raiders. Great fun on the re-watch. And boy he really turned it up on those clever transitions! 4.5 / 5

Spaceballs (1987)

The biggest laugh was the never-ending opening shot of the massive ship. Everything after that was kind of a drag, with plenty of flat-falling jokes and a few decent parodies. Not really fair to rate a movie of this kind.